DYNO GALLERY

dlaing

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Go this dyno done today at MSG Racing because it was running lumpy at lower revs under hard acceleration

AH_V11Sport_Dyno20130704_small.png

Setup:

• K&N filter in standard airbox
  • Mistral Crossover
  • standard LaFranconi cans
  • slightly modified fuelling map from Bernd at GuzziDiag which fills the fuelling hole at 4000 on full throttle: this improved things a bit but not totally. 

The map does not show RPM as the dyno couldn't get a reliable reading for it, so it was run at full throttle in 4th Gear through the rev range to rev limiter.

Note the highlighted area (red square) - this dip says it's running very rich at lower revs and could explain the lumpiness.

Anyone offer observations about this dip and whether it should be rectified?

AndyH

Two possible reasons:

- the rich spot could be where before was the 4000 fueling gap 

- it could also be the acceleration response to the quick initial throttle opening 

Next time you go to the dyno you should have laptop and cables with you. It's neither magic nor dangerous. 

Hubert

Two possible reasons:

- the rich spot could be where before was the 4000 fueling gap 

- it could also be the acceleration response to the quick initial throttle opening 

Next time you go to the dyno you should have laptop and cables with you. It's neither magic nor dangerous. 

Hubert

I think the second is more likely, my hunch is that the rich spot is worse at lower revs than 4000... although without any kind of rev counter it's hard to say for sure, so yes, the Guzzi diag console will help

....and I need to get a smaller laptop: this one's for work - serious kit for the job but not very portable in a back pack.

Probably due in part (at least) by the Mistral crossover.  The standard fuel map runs a bit lean in that area and it's well known that the Mistral helps to cure the poor fuelling in that range.  If you've used a fuel map that has already had the fuelling in that rev range corrected, it'll now be a bit on the rich side.  Your best option is to get a custom map for your bike rather than use any generic ones.  Minor differences can make a huge difference to the fuelling required.  Don't forget also, that these engines are a bit "cammy" and don't really get on the cam until after about 5k rpm.  Anything below that is always going to run less efficiently and may need to have odd fuelling to compensate for poorer combustion.

The revised map has improved the driving experience over the standard one but I agree about the custom map in the long run.

The Dyno guys unsurprisingly say they prefer working with a PCIII because they can adjust on the fly while the bike is on the Dyno. Just not sure I have the budget to stump up for one at the mo' and I'll have to find alternative home for all the tools and spares under the seat and in the hump - they've got me out of a hole on more than one occasion, so a bit reluctant to get rid of them.

It's actually running OK for now (even in town in this unseasonably - for the UK - hot weather) so I feel in no hurry.

Andy

You may ask them whether they have a PC to lend for the tuning only. Once they've done you a suitable PC map you could combine this and your own map and download the result to your ecu. You're using the GuzziDiag tools already?

Hubert

If it's of any use to you Andy, PC3 from some Ducati models will fit (cheaper and more common used).  From memory, 900 superlight and Monster 900 plug straight in as they use the same ecu as V11.  Just load a Guzzi map and you're away.

• 2 weeks later...

If it's of any use to you Andy, PC3 from some Ducati models will fit (cheaper and more common used).  From memory, 900 superlight and Monster 900 plug straight in as they use the same ecu as V11.  Just load a Guzzi map and you're away.

That's a thought... cheers :thumbsup:

• 3 months later...

Got the PCIII fitted (the one with M900 on the box) and dynoed by SDC in Stevenage. Gary at SDC installed new larger Lambda bosses next to the standard smaller plugs and then mapped each cylinder fuelling separately. It's all running as well as it can throughout the rev range: nothing dramatic, just much sweeter. He suggested the weaker torque in the lower mid rev range was almost certainly down to standard cans, and aftermarket cans would probably address this (after another dyno run and PCIII tweaks). Will scan graphs and upload.

Since I now have the figures for each cylinder, theoretically I could use GuzziDiag/TunerPro and edit the ECU map, as Hubert suggested, remove the PCIII and get the space back for tools and spares under the seat!

My experience says that open aftermarket cans (Mistrals and similar) in this range were worse than the standard ones, but YMMV as they say. You can't beat open cans at the top end, though.

I don't know whether TunerPro resp. the actual XDF files are able to correctly interpret a PC map. Paul may know more about that. TuneEdit on the other hand can do this, but it needs a bit of fiddling with the binaries to get it that far if you don't have a license for it.

Could you stand near the bike while it was on the dyno?