Time moves on, and eventually everything is swallowed into history.

? swallowed ? In this context, surely you mean that, eventually

everything is gobbed into the seething auditorium of time?

Yup, for *us* it's a sad thing. For most young people it means nothing.

Let the young of tday have their fun without inflicting our past upon them An important part of growing up is feeling you're part of a world changing time. God help us! our current generation need all the help they can get to get away from the idea that shopping is a productive and important activity. Don't try and make the poor little shits tryand look up to our generation! How decadent is that?????

I have to say though I find it fun that Martin, a copper, has *respect* for punk! "plus ca change" or whatever :huh2::thumbsup::grin::grin::grin:

Pete (Who once had hair and saw an awful lot of those *good* bands from the '70's while wearing clothes that now make him cringe to think of :bier: . And he turned up to a Clash cocert on his hot-rod Triumph. That had class! :grin: Have YOU ever fallen in love........... )

I have to say though I find it fun that Martin, a copper, has *respect* for punk! "plus ca change" or whatever :huh2::thumbsup::grin::grin::grin:

I'm not sure where you got that idea from as I've not posted yet on this subject. Perhaps you just know me too well :)

Punk - I'd have been 13, some of my peers were in to it. We were more rock but covers a wide genre, I was more into main stream punk Stranglers; Clash - I had my London Calling album stolen from a party. It took me years to replace that on to CD ended up with an extorionatly priced import, only to see it on normal release a couple of months later :bbblll:

When I was in the RAF some of my favorite music (still is) Pink Floyd and esp Roger Walters, a very strong anti war theme there. And some of the best rock music could be said to promote drugs and other non establishment ideals. I can appriciate where the song writer is comming from, enjoy the medium of his message, but disagre, and then give the hippy beatnick anarcist punk a good kicking as I throw him into the cells :o ( just kidding - you all know its down the stairs and then into the cells)

Whilst I fit some of the typical cop sterotype - fat and donuts (haven't always been so fat) I have my own mind and treat people evenly and fairly. It's only when you try and have one over me I turn in to a vindictive bastard. I like to think my mind is still broader than my waist :)

I think some of the punk scene lacked anything other than shock value, and that part died off quite quickly once everyone was doing it.

I never went to small venues giving bands their chance only infrequently to bigger venues and established names. Perhaps I should have. I can't quite see me there now, perhaps my mind isn't as broad as my waist after all.

So gob on you, Mr Roper, Sir :lol:

It's a sight cheaper than a President anyway....... Oh crap, we seem to have one of those now as well...

This is sort of embarassing but I can not seem to find the photo since our recent move out of the city. I just sent off an email to my club partner from back in the day to see if he still has a copy of the picture. Can't imagine that the wife disposed of that classic....... :huh:

errr.. anyone good at Fillmore East recently?

elliotlandyjanis2.jpg

The Filmore East is now an apartment building and the front lobby was turned into a bank. There are some great photo's of the theater in its Bill Graham/Filmore East days and its original creation as a Jewish theater. NY City kept posting signs after sixth st was re-named Bill Graham Way but as soon as they went up they were stolen.

I don't see the sadness -- gotta go with Nogbad here.

Actually, it would have been better if it had closed earlier. For longer than I care to remember, CBGBs has been a sad caricature of its former self. Punk just aint punk anymore.

As an underage boy in the seventies I would often take the Eerie-Lackawanna line into NYC and hang out with my equally-rotten cousins at many bars -- including CBGB. Pere Ubu -- one of my all-time faves -- was debuted to me there -- and I am forever thankful.

But -- time passes by. RIP.

I can only hope that there is interest in post-Reagan/Thatcher punk, as I'm sinking everything I've got into a documentary on a Southern Punk band, The Dirty Works. If all goes as planned, it'll debut at South X Southwest in Austin early next year.

Check 'em out on myspace.com/dirtyworks...

...and let CBGB die a dignified death. Like the Rolling Stones, it stayed around WAAAY too long.......

v50

Replying to "very sad news". Golly I thought someone had died.

Ok, it's a bit disappointing, I'll give you that.

My older cousin was a lead singer in a punk band that had radio play in the pacific north west', with the cheerfull little group "AN ACT OF DOG".

Actually, I think most punk music sucked big time. Most punk musicians were not singers, alot could not play more than 6 chords. They were mostly "anti-society but can't figure out what I want" types. As for those who followed and paid money to see them, I'll offer my condolences from 20 feet away.

I'm not so disappointed after all.

Ciao, Steve G.