Does anyone else find this forum snobbish?

Dirtybill

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Le Man

This forum seems ..not cliquish..but just a bit lazy. I mean we have over 500 members and yet only a handfull of posts per day. ( This topic has been discussed at length in another thread) I don't know exactly what to attribuite this to but I think it will change as time goes on.

What many forum members may not realize is we all like to hear about and can profit from most anything that goes on between them and their bike. Submit it..even if you find it boring someone else may learn something..I know I do every time I log on!

Mike

Guest Jaap

In every forum, newsgroup or www-community with whatever kind of subject there are a few people wo are willing to share their experiences and feel no restrictions to write.

Although I don't contribute much on the technical topics (not enough knowledge) I try to be helpful, with meausurements, internet searches, ect.

Another reason why a lot don't write:

- not everyone writes english. (I know some Germans f.i. who write their ass of in german forums, but hardly here...)

Me, I'm very happy with the "forum elite". They know what they are talking about and are willing to help.

Here's the link to the other thread about the this subject: clicky

I don't find it snobbish at all. Try asking about something technical or related to modifications and you'll probably get an answer. Make some generalized negative statement about the posters on the forum and you won't get many replies at all. I like this forum because it is SO specific rather than generalized. I'm actually embarrassed that I don't own a LeMans, merely a V11 Sport TT and the predecessor Sport 1100i. Lot's of commonality there though, so I feel I can contribute as well as derive information from here. I'm also very active on 3 other forums. This one is one of the best. There are a certain number of very active posters, so the forum takes on some coloration merely because of their pervasiveness throughout the threads. Don't take that as being snobby, take that as an example to start posting questions, answers, modifications and customizations or ride reports.

And, just to brighten your day...

ca4684.jpg

:mg:

Guest russ

Carl,

Where can I buy that accessory package for my LeMans. Price not important because I know the performance would meet or exceed specifications :notworthy::bike:

You don't tend to get an acessory like that without millions in you bank athough rumour has it simliar kind oif things are avalible for hire at an hourly rate from certian less than repatuble establisments.

..oh, and to Bill's question. I guess it just depends. I may be the most voluminous and verbose poster to the board right now :rolleyes: , but I can't say that I am necessarily the most beneficial. I try to respond to any post that I can offer something toward, whether that's a technical response(few though the are :P ) or even something that get's someone chuckling.

However a lot of people just don't feel comfortable posting unless they have a specific answer, comment, etc... and that's OK. Do I wish we had more postings from the various "lurkers"? Honestly, sure I do. But I'm sure we will get more and more posts from these members, and new ones, as time goes by and the forum continues to grow.

But "snobbish"... naw, I don't think so. I am on a lot of other forums, and with the exception of a couple others that also cater to a slightly more mature crowd ^_^ , most are much more "marque" and personality snobbish and petty than this board has ever been... and I suspect ever will :thumbsup:

As Carl mentioned, if someone posts a question that someone knows the answer to, I am sure they'll get a response of some sort. Personally I try to keep an eye out for the exceptions that no one responds to and at least add an "gee, I don't know" ... but I can't catch 'em all :)

I think we've got a great board, and it's been invaluable for me... and I think the people are great.

...well, except for that Euro-phile Jaap. We might have to do something about him at some point. :rolleyes:

al

The only clique that I noticed was the clique that answers almost everything.

I think it would be great if more people interacted about everything.

Someone recently posted about Scott oil filters. An excellent post that got little response. Kind of a shame. I have made many posts that got no answer or not the answer that I

was looking for, but I don't take it personally.

Sometimes I do not post because I have nothing to comment on. Sometimes I do not post, because it is good to give others the chance to post. Sometimes I am too busy. And yes sometimes I do not post because the topic is boring to me. For example, I do not have a LeMans, so talking about the fairing is boring to me.

Everyone has their own interests, and it is natural for those with the same interests to isolate into their own group.

Probably the largest group of people on the list is the Californians. Many of us have met one another, so it does put a different spin on how we post. There should be nothing wrong with that.

The Dutch may be the next biggest group. Again, nothing wrong with it. Although Jaap's taste in motorcycles is snobbish. :mg:

And Carl's taste in women.....

Oh, and Murray you can have her for $500/hour. :wub:

But she has to wear a helmet her in California.

. I'm actually embarrassed that I don't own a LeMans, merely a V11 Sport TT and the predecessor Sport 1100i.

"embarassed"??

I fully expected to be a Le Mans owner but after rides on both models I chose the V11 Sport.

Who would've thought it would become my hooligan bike? :D

btw. I guess it was my misconception about the snobbishness. Must be hangin round to many BMW owners lately :P:bier:

In answer to the original question: Not at all.

I just joined the forum in December and found the people here to be very friendly. As has been pointed out, there are always people on any forum who contribute more than most, that is just the nature of the beast. What I've enjoyed about this forum is that people are able to disagree without childish name calling and the poor arguments (an epidemic in America) I find on so many internet groups.

BTW, anybody who buys a green Guzzi is colorblind, stupid and probably has sex with farm animals. I know this true because I read it on some internet site. :D

Cheers,

Lex

Guest JohnInNH

I know for me time has a lot to do with it. Also being active on other non bike forums can take up a lot of time for me as well. Having many DIFFERENT interests I sometimes find I spend more time on the current HOT hobby of mine.

Now that it's not snowing or raining the bike will become more of an interest, however I am putting a Super Charger on my Miata this week so I have been posting over on the Miatanet. Riding the Le Mans KILLED the fun of the Miata. It's Moto Guzzi's falt I had to get it! (tell my wife that)

Regarding the scott filter... sounded interesting, but the original poster said it was dead.... so what's the point of posting. :unsure:

Then the AMSOIL team will come in and start posting how their filter is the best.... Then the OIL debate will start. LOL

I find my interests change during the year. Mostly between

SnipersHide

Miata Forum

SASS Forums

If my boss figured out how many hours a day I spent posting on forums (let alone on the mailing lists!) I may need to find a new job. :huh:

SNOBISH?... go down to the "HD ONLY" Tuning link center on your Le Mans

BTW, anybody who buys a green Guzzi is colorblind, stupid and probably has sex with farm animals. I know this true because I read it on some internet site.

Okay Smart Guy! :lol: Mine's not green anyway, nor is it a "Goldmember"!!! B)

v11sportoontt.gif