rear drive torque arm

richard100t

fwiw, this is what the Ghezzi rod end setup looks like. The rods have plenty of ability to wiggle in a very controlled manner thanks to those spherical bushings. The spacers are just wide enough to hold the inner spherical bushings in place, the outer parts move pretty freely.

(for some reason the site likes to rotate images counter clockwise :( )

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

So, if I understand correctly, those spacers are free to turn? Strange..

They shouldnt rotate Chuck. I've had a Rossopuro arm on my bike for years and when I installed it I shimmed the spacers to the bearing inner ball so when the bolt was torqued up it wasnt trying to flex the two brackets together. clearly flexing of the cast brackets isn't desireable but as we know you need to "fettle" a Guzzi. Even aftermarket specific stuff needs "fitting".

I also fitted an Oring of just the right size to one side of the ball that bears on the spacer to put a little resistance on the radial rotation of the arm, just to stop the tendence for it to rock around when there's no need to.

I'll get a picture when I get a chance.

DSC00546_zpswyqdmaht.jpg?t=1489192241

DSC00547_zps5d0scjrb.jpg?t=1489191900

Ok so working from L to R ( top to bottom) is the bracket the spacer then a thin steel shim to eliminate the squeeze,then the inner ball then on the other side the ball again with an oring that sits on the spherical face of the ball to control rod radial rotation a little and cushion the bearing if it does rotate around to its limit then the spacer and the mount bracket.

My advice to anyone that needs a new arm is to buy yourself a Rossopuro one or go to the local machine shop with a piece of say 18mm ally rod and get them to chuck it up drill and thread each end for male rod end bearings go and buy youself a pair and fit it up. The machining process will take about 15 minutes, job done.

Ciao 

• Like 2

I like the o-ring idea.

Yes it could also have another one on the other side of the ball but I didn't  have one in my oring box. I use the same on my Ducati1000ss which has a horizontally mounted Ohlins steering damper which due to the changing angles during steering needs to rotate radially as well. Due to the horizontal fitment at straight ahead it can flop about so I fit an oring on both sides of the ball which holds it firm but also allows it to compress the orings a little as it moves radially maintaining function. Its all of course totally optional but if you can limit the unnecessary movement the bearing life will be improved.

Ciao 

I have some viton washers of various ID/OD, could work too.

• Like 1

I pressed a pair of spherical bearings into my stock reaction rod the other day and they fit nicely.  I'm having a set of spacers machined now.  I'll post the details with pictures once I receive the spacers and get the rod installed.

• Like 2

Phil,

FYI McMaster has rubber bearing seals that might work where you used orings.  They should keep dirt away from the bearing but could possibly trap water?  I ordered a set to try with my new bearing setup.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#rod-end-bearings/=16qj8ht

Yep, they look perfect.

Ciao

I pressed a pair of spherical bearings into my stock reaction rod the other day and they fit nicely.  I'm having a set of spacers machined now.  I'll post the details with pictures once I receive the spacers and get the rod installed.

Very good, look forward to the pictures.

Ciao

• 1 month later...