Failure update

staedtler

Sorry to hear of your motor's premature demise and it is heartening to see other forum members offering their services to help you sort it out.

Plenty of engine parts being sold on EBay by Mr.ginger-baker- the German guy who stocks loads of guzzi bits.

Keep the bike together- you will get it sorted.

Guy :helmet:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sound like you're a bit down, but surely not out. My Italian wife endures numerous health problems, but you don't see me hacking her up to sell on Ebay. Sometimes she don't run so good, but she's always good to look at :wub: .

Unless she's angry. Then life is very very bad.

Gary is a standup guy :notworthy: and can be trusted fully with your motor, if not your women. After seeing how both he and Pete jumped right in :xmas: , I'm thinking there's a lot of heart in some of these ornery old farts :rolleyes: .

Alright, alright, if you guys are starting to share women, I'd like to offer my services . . .

" How many Chiropractors does it take to service a woman? Just one, but she'll have come back nine times . . ." :sun:

I'll be bathing in it..!! :D

you guys are family!...thanks really

it is dry bone... the mechanic have never seen anything like it... he was surprsed it was in one piece

he said; 'if you're going to haul ass and use it that way you'll need to change oil at LEAST every thou miles' (after describing him how i ride it...) and...'have you look into getting an R1?'... i'm not kidding...

oh so, last oil change was about a bit over 2.5 thou miles ago....

i did 2 desert runs though, that's 1200 mi trips (haul'n ass)

An incredible offer from the lads!! :thumbsup:

Surely 2500 miles on the oil could'nt have caused this. Was the sump dry? What kind of oil was it? I would really like to know what to avoid doing, or not doing.

Ciao, Steve

:thumbsup: +1 on Gary. That's a great offer! That's really nice, and not the first time you've helped out mostly complete strangers. I tip a beer to you.

Staedler, you can't lose on it.

(check yer oil more often, dammit :oldgit: )

oh, btw, who was right on the other thread?

it is dry bone... the mechanic have never seen anything like it... he was surprsed it was in one piece

oh so, last oil change was about a bit over 2.5 thou miles ago....

i did 2 desert runs though, that's 1200 mi trips (haul'n ass)

Guzzis are astoundingly tough. People whinge about problems bt really the basic donk is practically un-killable as your bike attests too.

It DOE'S though have a dipstick. This is a simple thing that screws in and out and allows you to check the oil :grin: Use it! Every day! More often if you're flogging the freckle off it!

Oh, and I've PM'd Gary and told him that if it goes back together you can have the #1 prototype sloppage sheet for nix as it's simply gathering spiders in the shed. It's mild steel not Stainless and looks a bit daggy but it will do the job and help prevent this happening again. Note I say HELP. Read above about the dipstick!!!!!

Yours is a nicely presented bike. Lets get it back together but also let's TRY to not let it happen again. Thrashing the bejasus out of them is fine. Thrashing the bejasus out of them and not maintaining 'em properly will kill anything! Even a Guzzi!

Anyone for a basic maintenance and inspection thread????? :grin:

Pete

PS, you WILL owe us lots of beer :bier:

Well: short of having holes in the block, the engine can be re-built, fairly simple to do. But, unless you give the thing a bit of attention, you'll be in the soup again in a short while.

There are people who have a sense for things mechanical, and people who don't. for the latter there is the service manual to be followed like some read the bible.

And, a check, from time to time, to see if there is petrol in the tank, oil with the cranck and any tyres left, whill not be amiss.

I know some things are lubricated for life, but that does not apply to gearbox and motor! :P

And for what it's worth, I think a F1 would have called it quits much earlier, to be honest.

Guest Gary Cheek

I believe that would be me:

What we have here, is failure to lubricate:

coolhandluke4.jpg

For some reason the way he is holding that object and the "Failure to lubricate". Make me a bit squemish :unsure:

Guest Mattress

FWIW - my Guzzi 04 V11 cafe sport nearly went through a lot of it's original oil on break-in this summer. At 2500 miles I was adding oil, and that was mostly highway cruising at <4000 rpm. Oil consumption has improved. I suspect that until they go through their infamously longer break-in period, blow-by might be high.

Guest Gary Cheek

Jason, give him a bow for me while you're at it. I'd do it myself but I just wrenched my knee starting the Norton. Besides I'm still a little worried about that look on his face and the talk of lubrication.

There is always the chance that the damage is more extensive so lets not get all previous on this.

Thing is I've blown up some Guzzi engines pretty extensively and there is usually *some* stuff that is reclaimable! As long as a rod hasn't bustand it hasn't seized the top end is usually salveagle, as is the cam, followers etc. Remember the cam spins at half crank speed. The big ends are the most heavily loaded bearings and the ones most likely to suffer oil starvation so they usually are the first ones to go tits. As long as they are caught fairly early on it is unlikely that the crank will be completely stuffed. In a case like this I'd expect that the pin will need a grind and the mains may too but maybe not, you might be able to get away with a linish.

Everything else is in the lap of the gods but I reckon that you'll find that your suggestion of parting it out is laughable :drink: That would be like chucking out a Monet painting 'cos there is a bit of a scratch on the frame!

Pete

Wow. I'm honored to be among you.

This is motorcycle culture at it's zeinith and proves out my

long time belife that the Guzzists are the cream of the crop.

I always have tools galore in my bags and always slow to get a thumbs up

from a stranded rider and stop to help if I don't.

This is what it's all about. And who dosen't haul down to stop anytime

you see a Guzzi at a watering hole..or in some ones drive way.

In these troubled times I just got to say:

Hats off to Gary, Pete, Jaap, all the V11 forum citizens and the true

motorcyclist everywhere. I'm absolutly proud of you all.

Good luck staedtler.

I know I'd be dying if my little freight train puked it's guts.