Rode a V7 Cafe Classic today...

felix42o

Interesting, though this technical progression. Even when our funky V11 were built, people lamented the fuel injection and ECU. Gone were the days of "tuning."

I think we've proved without a doubt, that a determined owner can cock up the FI every bit as well as a carburettor! :luigi:

• Like 1

Interesting, though this technical progression. Even when our funky V11 were built, people lamented the fuel injection and ECU. Gone were the days of "tuning."

I think we've proved without a doubt, that a determined owner can cock up the FI every bit as well as a carburettor! :luigi:

Yep ..... I knew a "good" mechanic who screwed up a D'ellorto 36 mm carb for me by drilling out a blocked jet ..... unfortunately he drilled right through the carb body. He also screwed up the tuning on his Triumph TT600 after he installed performance cams ..... he bought some kind of ECU cheater for the bike and when it didn't run right after riding and fiddling he declared it was beyond tuning. I mentioned that on a job of that scale that dyno tuning would probably be the best and easiest way and he said that's the way he always tuned .... by the seat of his pants. Since that was the first fuel injected bike he had ever tried to tune he declared that fuel injection is un-tuneable. He then went on to screw up the tuning on several other bikes ..... (although he is good at changing tires).

You are safe Dave .... he will never go to Australia ....

One Friday afternoon I went to pick up my car after one week of repair time in an official brand shop. When I came there and saw the owner hanging out of the hood and his young assistant sitting inside, stirring the gear shift lever, it was clear that something has gone wrong. He said he forgot to put in some part and now was trying to get it in from the outside, something like that. Well, shit happens I thought and watched him trying for some minutes, his buddy tediously stirring the stick, until he started moaning about endless telephone calls and this and that and finally he said: "Look, a gearbox is a difficult peace of work". Being somewhat stunned by the whole situation I replied "Yes, for a butcher that might well be so".

I had my son with me, 4 at that time, means 20 years ago, he still vividly remembers what came next. You just shouldn't say that to an overweight, choleric mechanic, trapped in a somewhat unfriendly position headfirst in a car he hates and his nerves laying blank since 2 or 3 hours maybe.

And that was no EFI car and no self-made mechanic. Anyway, it's probably true that most Guzzis get raped by the owner sooner or later, something not so typical for other brands you might think.

Hubert

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So, the lad pulled the trigger! Sounds great! Can't wait to get a ride on it. :thumbsup:

Thanks to everyone here for the insights!

So, what does this mean:

" . . . a new flywheel in an oil bath instead of the previous alternator dry. " ( rough translation from an Italian site )

The gearbox and alternator cover look identical to the 2013. Did anything change from 2013 to 2014 on the V7?

Latest model apparently has gone to a 'Conventional' bike alternator running internal to the cases. Why? Who knows but my guess would be a combination of parts interchangeability with other models, (It will be the same Alt used on most of the Aprilia range I guarantee.) and cost. As far as I know the smallblock Guzzis are probably the last bike in the world to use an external, crank mounted Alt. If Ducati Electronica are only producing the unit for one machine with a run of a few thousand a year its obviously not going to be in their interest to keep producing it so they will of kept jacking the price up. Now the camel's back has broken and its cheaper for Piaggio to re-design the timing chest rather than paying the premium for an obsolete part.

Pete

If it comes to pass then, there will be "early" 2014 V7 with the old alternator, like my son's. It's front cover is identical to 2013.

Very easy to see the difference in the alternator cover:

2012, 2013, "early" 2014 V7

2014 wet alternator

Apparently, an early translation from Latin yielded the word "flywheel" prompting the confusion that there would be a wet clutch.  A more careful translation from Italian clarified the change: (lifted this post from Mike H on MGCGB)

Bing translate:

"a new flywheel in oil bath replaces the previous alternator to dry, slightly modifying the front of the V-twin di 90°"

Google translate:

"a new motor in oil bath replaces the previous alternator dry, slightly modifying the front of the V-twin 90°"

Success! Google translate from ITALIAN not LATIN ..... smiley4.gif

"a new rotor in oil bath replaces the previous alternator dry, slightly modifying the front of the V-twin 90 °"

• 1 month later...

Just completed the 600 mile service on the V7. And managed to hook a little ride on it! It is 100% Moto Guzzi, such a nice motor that doesn't seem "small" at all. It would be nice to have more weight over the front, but that could be easily done.

That said, what is this noise: when the bike is shut off, it makes a whirring sounding for about a second every ten seconds or so for quite a long time. It didn't not stop by pulling each fuse.

• 1 year later...

I saw a V7 on the road each of the last two days - been seeing more of them around. Also seems to be a lot of V7 owners over at WildGuzzi.com. It would be nice for Guzzi to have a strong-selling model - maybe give them some R&D money to develop another sport bike?

Referring back to the original post - GP Motorcycles is close to me (it's where I bought my Scura). Just recently, the BMW dealer in Escondido (even closer to me in North San Diego) has added Moto Guzzi - but they're not allowed to have them on the same showroom floor as the Beemers. Probably a good thing... we don't want the Guzzis' jugs to start sagging....

Two Guzzi dealers in the same county. What's the world coming to?

:mg:  :mg: