Ram Mount.

Jet

Eventually Ill have to contribute something to this very helpful group. But today is not that day. 

Soooo, I would like a ram mount installed in the center of my Triple Clamp. I did a search of the site and spoke to Scud, Big Thanks. I peered onto the Stein Dinse page to look at the exact two pieces that would likely need removing for it to work with the style of Ramp Plug I would like to use. But, they wouldnt budge. Maybe they are tight, or maybe they wont budge for a reason. Is there anything stopping me from from using this is an install point? 

Scud suggested the Ram ball mount that attaches to the stock mirror attachment which is conveniently vacant since I use bar end mirrors. 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0036G97DG/ref=pe_385040_128020140_TE_3p_dp_1

http://www.amazon.com/Ram-Mount-Motorcycle-1-Inch-Black/dp/B001RHVS8I

I believe those are the two pieces (13 and 14) on the map. 

23943410.jpg

30513401.jpg

303036303031.gif.jpeg

Thanks Alf, 

Did you have much difficulty removing the two aluminum pieces from your LM? It appears on the small cap there is a slot for a small pic or flat head to remove and pop it, but each time I try to wiggle it out I just cause more damage. 

Jet - I hope you get it sorted how you like it. I like the ball on the RH mirror perch because I use a small, handheld GPS (Garmin 60 series) on both dirt and street bikes. The RAM ball and various arms can also mount your phone, video camera, cupholder, etc... so think about all the stuff you might want to use.  Mirror mount is also the cheapest and easiest way to get started.

I've never had a problem with RAM mounts on a street bike. Only dislodged the GPS from the cradle once on the dirt bike - and that had something to do with a boulder under a snowdrift and riding too fast for the conditions...  :whistle:

• 1 year later...

This guy got it to work on his LeMans using the stem mount. What does the stem look like after you take off the cap?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R153XEH0PV34L5/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B001RHVS8I

The other option is this mount.

33693775532_741a4431d4_c.jpg

Has anyone use this style RAM mount? It should mount to the mirror perch but I don't know if it would hit the mirror stem?

So has anyone used one of these mounts and anything tricky about the installation that couldn't be done with simple tools?

71DJ34TkU8L._SL1200_.jpg

Apparently Jet cannot get his center plug out.  Gonna try mine, because it looks like a nice location for a mount.

Pictures when you do!!!!

Dave, that is the RAM mount I have on my '02 LeMans, (the one going thru the center plug).  Works great with the 4" arm to the GPS cradle.  I just used a very small screw driver to pop the center plug off the steering head bolt assembly.  Then, instead of using one of the RAM compression inserts, I used a very small piece of 3/8" fuel line aprox 1/2" long inside the steering head tube.  When I tightened the small allen head screw it compresed and flared the fuel line enough to hold the mount in place.  Been on there for two years now without any problems.

• Like 1

I could not get the plug in the top of the steering stem to budge.  Jet had the same problem.  If there is a trick to it, I'm missing it.  Does it just pop in or is it threaded?  Maybe a long rod inserted from the bottom of the steering stem?

I foresee a hammer in this picture B)

• Like 2