Last weekends adventure - new addition

Kostarika

After a 7 year search I found One!

The only thing is that it was located e few states away.

Talked to the owner and it could not have been a better gentleman.

He held the bike for me for 3 plus weeks until I had the time to go down to North Caroline.

I reserved a Nissan Frontier and when I showed up this was waiting for me, of well  :grin:

gallery_9718_198_397479.jpgLeft Portland Maine at 8am arrived in Charlotte NC at 1am

The next morning I show up to see the bike and this is what greets me, I started to feel good about my chances of buying the bike.

gallery_9718_198_218859.jpg

Glenn had a thing for the obscure, a Norton Commando 850 and Volvo P1800 plus the Centauro.

After looking over the bike Glenn took me on a 45 minute ride on the beautiful back roads and I knew I was taking the bike home.

Talked to Glenn a bit more, the bike came with many spare parts and I found out that the first owner raced it occasionally :thumbsup:  

Loaded the bike on the truck and on my way back home I went with a huge fucking grin on my face.

gallery_9718_198_222369.jpg

I believe this conversation occurred :whistle:  

gallery_9718_198_89923.jpg

V11 -- Who the f#ck are you?

Centauro -- ..............

V11 -- Just fucking with you.  Welcome to the stable.

Centauro -- Cool, thanks I was nervous there for a sec.

V11 -- Nah it's all cool.  Just watch out for that asshole (me) he is handsy  :glare:

gallery_9718_198_517062.jpgThe Extras

gallery_9718_198_301451.jpg

gallery_9718_198_325698.jpg

Glad to see the canisters removed and I can only imagine that the flywheel in the bike is special :food:

on the operating table just having a check up

gallery_9718_198_649532.jpg

Nice catch can for the breather tube

gallery_9718_198_472700.jpg

Switched the exhaust to the Mistral's much better sound.

gallery_9718_198_177508.jpgCool safety wire on the caliper

gallery_9718_198_267935.jpg

Took it for a 2 hour maiden voyage very happy with it.

gallery_9718_198_587286.jpg

This what I have planed for it in the future 

The four specimens I love.

gallery_9718_198_35514.jpg

gallery_9718_198_159943.jpg

gallery_9718_198_146066.jpg

gallery_9718_198_197870.jpg

Thanks

Kosta

• Like 2

Sounds like a great trip, starting with a nice truck upgrade.

How many miles on the Centauro? It looks a great bike to enjoy over the summer as-is while you think about your project.

Turning that into something like a Daytona or your own version of a sports bike looks like fun. I really like those four examples.

Thanks guys!

The bike has 31XXX miles, that means that the quirks have been addressed.

The bike has two new tires, battery, the belts were changed and valves adjusted 200 miles ago.

Thanks guys!

The bike has two new tires, battery, the belts were changed and valves adjusted 200 miles ago.

At that mileage you need to pull the front engine cover off and check the oil pump drive input shaft for wear. When worn they take out the aluminum drive gear and all hell breaks loose.

Also check the aluminum cam drive gear for wear while you're in there. I suggest you fit a replacement pump from a V11 or the German made aftermarket one I have with a needle bearing on the pump input shaft.

I love the Daytona/Centauro engine and have one on the bench rebuilding it for fitment to my V11, but they are a bit prone to wear in the previously mentioned areas as well as cam followers and valve guides.

Ciao

Thanks guys!

At that mileage you need to pull the front engine cover off and check the oil pump drive input shaft for wear. When worn they take out the aluminum drive gear and all hell breaks loose.

Also check the aluminum cam drive gear for wear while you're in there. I suggest you fit a replacement pump from a V11 or the German made aftermarket one I have with a needle bearing on the pump input shaft.

I love the Daytona/Centauro engine and have one on the bench rebuilding it for fitment to my V11, but they are a bit prone to wear in the previously mentioned areas as well as cam followers and valve guides.

Ciao

Thank you for info Phil.

A more thorough inspection of the engine is scheduled real soon.

Too bad your changing the look.. to me no other motorcycle has such a muscle bike profile..

It's a uniquely styled bike for sure. Some love it, others hate it (I've read some very witty scathing comments about it's appearance). When I bought my Scura, the dealer also had a Centauro available, a dark green one. He suggested I ride it, but I just couldn't get past the low seat and the overall look of it. I guess it is a muscle-bike, or power-cruiser - but that genre has never been appealing to me. I now wish I had at least taken it for a spin so I would know how that motor performs.

But something to consider for the project: The Centauro is a rare and unusual motorcycle. It might be worth ensuring that all mods are reversible - and keeping the stock parts so it could be restored in future if you (or someone else) wants it to be a Centauro again.

• Like 1

Too bad your changing the look.. to me no other motorcycle has such a muscle bike profile..

It's a uniquely styled bike for sure. Some love it, others hate it (I've read some very witty scathing comments about it's appearance). When I bought my Scura, the dealer also had a Centauro available, a dark green one. He suggested I ride it, but I just couldn't get past the low seat and the overall look of it. I guess it is a muscle-bike, or power-cruiser - but that genre has never been appealing to me. I now wish I had at least taken it for a spin so I would know how that motor performs.

But something to consider for the project: The Centauro is a rare and unusual motorcycle. It might be worth ensuring that all mods are reversible - and keeping the stock parts so it could be restored in future if you (or someone else) wants it to be a Centauro again.

That is what I did with my Daytona. I swapped the rear end to a V11 tail / rear subframe. I removed the front fairing and swapped to GSXR front forks with handle bars instead of clip ons. I did a few other changes as well, but all of them are bolt off / bolt on. I have all the original parts and could put it back to stock if I wanted to.

• Like 1

Congrats on the new beast, perhaps we will se it in John Day next month

Thanks Kiwi    What is John Day?

Anyone with that much vinyl on the wall of his shop would be "handsy." :grin::luigi:

No idea what you talking about Docc......

Anything I will do to the bike in the future will be fully reversible.

But at the same time I don't see this or any of the other bikes I own leave my possession anytime soon.

The Guzzi's will never be able to leave my possession ever again. :ninja:  

That is what I did with my Daytona. I swapped the rear end to a V11 tail / rear subframe. I removed the front fairing and swapped to GSXR front forks with handle bars instead of clip ons. I did a few other changes as well, but all of them are bolt off / bolt on. I have all the original parts and could put it back to stock if I wanted to.

:notworthy:

Come on GM lets see some pics of this purposeful beast!...

I second that  :oldgit:

• Like 1