Swap engine from a 98 1100EV to a V11 sport 2003

antmanbee

I would like to know if anyone here has any experience with using a EV 1100 motor in the V11 sport.

My V11 engine is blown. Has a bad crank and rods and lots of debris in the pan.

From my research it looks like the block, bearings, crank, rods, flywheel and clutch are the same.

The pan assembly would need to be retained as well as the front timing cover, but the rest of the engine looks like it should bolt right in.

What are the other differences of these two motors and what other obstacles are there that I may be overlooking?

I am trying to come up with a plan as to what to do.

Thanks

I keep going to the garage and staring at the Jackal motor and then at the V11 and it sure looks the same minus the front timing cover and oil pan. With those removed it looks like they are interchangeable.

Even the compression ratio is the same. The horse power specs are different so something has to be different. The V11 HP spec is at 7800RPM and the EV1100 is at 6400RPM.

I don't care about the power too much, I just want a good running engine. 

I was thinking I might even leave the EV oil sump on with the oil pickup more to the rear and do away with the oil cooler. It is not needed on the EV or Jackal.

The only thing I am concerned about with that is the kick stand. The kick stand bracket has a small bolt that attaches to the side of the intermediary oil pan and may reinforce the stand bracket.

I don't want the bracket to crack or bend.

I keep going to the garage and staring at the Jackal motor and then at the V11 and it sure looks the same minus the front timing cover and oil pan. With those removed it looks like they are interchangeable.

Even the compression ratio is the same. The horse power specs are different so something has to be different. The V11 HP spec is at 7800RPM and the EV1100 is at 6400RPM.

I don't care about the power too much, I just want a good running engine.

Like they said, cam and head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't you fix the crank and rods for less than a different engine?

That is a good question. The rod bearings are completely disintegrated and there is lots of debris in the pan. I will have to completely disassemble everything on the engine and carefully inspect.

The crank is probably too damaged to take a regrind and would need to be welded up and then reground. The rods are probably toast and used replacements would need to be sourced. The oil pump?

Who knows what else.

I’m not sure what you plan on doing with the bike but it will be worth a bunch less with a non-matching engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not sure what you plan on doing with the bike but it will be worth a bunch less with a non-matching engine.

Mostly I just plan on riding it. I don't think it is appreciating in value yet, it may, and I will keep the original engine so that if the bike starts to appreciate like an early Tonti Lemans or V7 sport I can restore it with matching numbers.

Right now I just want to get it on the road fairly quickly and without dropping a boat load of money in it. The rest of the bike looks near perfect. 

This is an interesting question. Engine numbers and frame numbers don't match. Frame is the VIN of course, with model and year ID, and that's what counts. Engine number (my best guess) reflects a series, or year range for parts reference. I wouldn't know how else to match a motor number to a particular frame. When doing the recall search at Piaggio, the engine number is not given. http://static.piaggio.com/recall/form-piaggio_en.html

However, of my 2 bikes, the '02 has KR in the vin giving the model, "Sport" I would imagine. The recall inquiry reveals "Tenni", The motor number on the bike starts with KR. My '03 Rosso Corsa has a KT in the vin indicating Rosso C, as does the Piaggio site. The motor number also starts with KR which could mean one of two things. The motor has been replaced (no indication of that) or like many '03 bikes, it was just an '02 carry over. The sequence difference of the 2 motors is 9644, which seems rather high.