Headlight lens is cracked

badge502

My headlight lens is cracked... So, I started looking into just replacing the lens... Nope that baby is epoxied on there, so replacing the lens unit looks to be the way to go. So, I took it all apart, and started looking. I think it would have been easier to find a rainbow unicorn. There aren't any of these on the planet! Was told by everywhere I went/called that since the Ballabio was produced in low numbers, they didn't make many of these either! 

So, after proving that to myself, I started looking for anything that would work... I found the replacement parts list on this forum, and it showed that BMW has one that will probably work... So, after a trip to the BMW store, I found that I had to get the whole assembly which would run about $800! Did I say I was a cheap old bastard? Well, we had a good laugh, and I went back home. 

I emailed the folks at Dime City Cycles ( A cafe racer place) and they said that it would probably be easier to find an entire headlight unit, instead of just replacing the "lens" or lens unit... It looks like there is 7 1/4 " or 18.5 cm between the mounting posts. there is not a lot of room around the light, due to the fairing... from the mounting brackets to the from of the lense is about 2 3/8th of an inch,and its 7" across the lens. 

The more I look and measure, it looks like finding the right "bucket" size is going to be tough... Especially to fit under the Ballabio fairing. 

If anyone else has "invented this wheel", I would appreciate what you did... Unless it costs over $800.

Dime City has the 7in headlight and bucket for $85.   But it is 5 1/2in deep.  This seems similar to my Sport, is the LeMans that different?

https://www.dimecitycycles.com/7-inch-complete-headlight-assembly-chrome.html

A Lemans has a different, smaller headlight (I believe). This is a V11 Sport / Ballabio . it has a real small fairing. The 5 1/2 " depth is OK, Im sweating the distance from the headlight bucket mount, to the fairing... Here's some pictures that might help out...

Zack at Dime City said that if I send him some measurements, he would measure some lights to see if he can find something that works... 

Here is the Ballabio... See, its got the little fairing... Its not a LeMans.

20180630_105208-M.jpg

Here is the culprit... The broken lens unit. 

20180702_183208-M.jpg

Here is the "bucket" that the lens unit fits in...

20180702_183350-M.jpg

The bracket that the bucket attaches to...

20180703_191501-M.jpg

This is the measurement that really is an important one... The measurement from the fairing mount/bucket, to the front of the fairing is the"biggie"... If that measurement isn't spot on, the light is either going to stick out from the fairing, or will be back "into" the fairing... neither of those is a good deal as far as Im concerned...

20180703_212756-M.jpg

I'm pretty sure the Scura, LeMans, and Ballabio all use the small plastic headlight, not the large metal bucket that is the sport naked bikes. Harpers has complete units for a bit over $200:

https://www.harpermoto.com/headlight-o2-lemans-01740565.html

Looks like they have the entire headlight, not just the optice group! The original part number has been superseded by a Breva headlight assembly... Ill give them a call in the AM,and see if that is in stock.

Keep looking. Guaranteed that the headlight and bucket was used on multiple bikes and not necessarily just Moto Guzzi. I think Aprillia was involved on your bike so start looking at Aprillia bikes and their parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk