Jump to content
sp838

RAM clutch?

Recommended Posts

Hey Docc! Thanks for posting this. So it seems then according to those discussions, that the hub I linked to won't work after all, the conclusion was that the only hub that would work is the (no longer available) one from the single disc bikes: GU01211640

Scud seems pretty adamant about only the single clutch hubs being compatible.

However, looking again at the parts fiche for the MGS-01, which has the same single plate clutch as the Scura, Tenni, etc., it uses the hub from the double plate 6 speeders, the one still commonly available: GU04211600

So what's the deal with these hubs then??? Are they actually interchangeable?

As far as the pushrod issue goes, that seems like it's not the worst thing in the world. The nub at the end needs to be turned down a bit to mate with the engagement button in the RAM part. I have very good machinists in my circle of friends, thankfully.

EDIT: my apologies, the MGS-01 has a double disc setup... Looking at parts diagrams on a small iPhone screen is not necessarily the best idea :homer:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you search, I posted pictures of the different clutch hubs together and you'll be able to see the differences. I changed a Tenni single plate to a double plate, which necessitated buying a different clutch hub. If you really want a RAM single plate clutch in a 6 speed you might be able to pick a clutch hub up from someone who's done the same switch. I'm keeping hold of mine to keep my options open in the future.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks! I just found the photo and I see what you mean. And I was mistaken about the MGS-01, now that I look at it again I see it has the double clutch plate setup.

Fingers crossed, I think I may have found a NOS single disc hub. Purchased it and am praying it will arrive safely in the mail... This job won't happen until the winter anyway, I am now in the gathering parts and courage phase of the operation.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, sp838 said:

Thanks! I just found the photo and I see what you mean. And I was mistaken about the MGS-01, now that I look at it again I see it has the double clutch plate setup.

Fingers crossed, I think I may have found a NOS single disc hub. Purchased it and am praying it will arrive safely in the mail... This job won't happen until the winter anyway, I am now in the gathering parts and courage phase of the operation.

While you're in there, see to those numerous leak points (are there eight? :blink: ), and be sure to stake that input hub with a fresh "safety washer."

After I rebuilt my clutch, I got to squeeze the lever on footgoose's RAM. So sweet, light, and buttery! :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, sp838 said:

Hey Docc! Thanks for posting this. So it seems then according to those discussions, that the hub I linked to won't work after all, the conclusion was that the only hub that would work is the (no longer available) one from the single disc bikes: GU01211640

Scud seems pretty adamant about only the single clutch hubs being compatible.

However, looking again at the parts fiche for the MGS-01, which has the same single plate clutch as the Scura, Tenni, etc., it uses the hub from the double plate 6 speeders, the one still commonly available: GU04211600

So what's the deal with these hubs then??? Are they actually interchangeable?

As far as the pushrod issue goes, that seems like it's not the worst thing in the world. The nub at the end needs to be turned down a bit to mate with the engagement button in the RAM part. I have very good machinists in my circle of friends, thankfully.

EDIT: my apologies, the MGS-01 has a double disc setup... Looking at parts diagrams on a small iPhone screen is not necessarily the best idea :homer:

 

Scud would be correct here, he's done a swap. Sorry if I misled you in a previous post. You do indeed need the single plate hub for the single plate clutch. 

Ciao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do have a spare new single plate hub (not for sale). But if one of you machinist-types wants to borrow it so you could copy it I would gladly loan it out.

Paradiso's pics will clearly show the differences between the two hubs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scud said:

I do have a spare new single plate hub (not for sale). But if one of you machinist-types wants to borrow it so you could copy it I would gladly loan it out.

Paradiso's pics will clearly show the differences between the two hubs.

Scud can you take a twin plate hub and grind the face down to fit the single plater? I dont have a twin plate hub in my hand to compare.

Ciao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Sorry if I misled you in a previous post.

No worries! That's what we're here for, to hash things out until we hipefully get it right...

6 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Scud can you take a twin plate hub and grind the face down to fit the single plater

I was wonder the same thing...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2019 at 11:29 PM, Lucky Phil said:

Scud can you take a twin plate hub and grind the face down to fit the single plater? I dont have a twin plate hub in my hand to compare.

Ciao

I think this might be possible. It's not just grinding though. There is a raised rim on the front side of the single plate hub. I don't know if that is needed for proper function - but it might be for added strength. 

Here is a picture of a new hub for single-plate, along with a used hub for dual plate.

Sorry the pic doesn't show the raised rim very well. I'll dig them out of the box again for another pic if somebody is serious about trying this - and I would loan my new single plate hub during the process.

 

IMG_9232.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Scud said:

I think this might be possible. It's not just grinding though. There is a raised rim on the front side of the single plate hub. I don't know if that is needed for proper function - but it might be for added strength. 

Here is a picture of a new hub for single-plate, along with a used hub for dual plate.

Sorry the pic doesn't show the raised rim very well. I'll dig them out of the box again for another pic if somebody is serious about trying this - and I would loan my new single plate hub during the process.

 

IMG_9232.jpg

Thanks Scud, I have a new single plate hub so I know what the rim you are talking about is and I dont think its an issue. I would take a dual plate hub and get it surface ground back to the correct width with a bevel on the fwd face of the teeth. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't get yer hopes up but I think I may have a single plate hub in my now heavily diminished Mountain of Munt. I have no use for it if I have it so it'll be worth a donation to MSF and postage if I can find it.

 

pete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been wondering for years; what are the advantages of a single vs a dual setup?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Admin Jaap said:

I've been wondering for years; what are the advantages of a single vs a dual setup?

Reduced weight and flywheel effect mainly.

Ciao

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So browsing HMB Guzzi, I found this:  https://hmb-guzzi.de/Clutch-hub-RAM-single-disc-clutch

Just from the photo it looks like the outer gear part is the correct height, but the inner shouldered part looks much higher than on our stock hubs. There is also no description of what the inner splines are like. Makes me wonder though... Might be worthwhile to try to get in touch with them to find out more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...