Fuel tank expansion due to ethanol

The wife's V11 tank has a small amount of bubbling in the paint, mainly under the harness for her tank bag. It is like little pimples in the paint. The tank is now coated, and so far seems to be stable. The pimples are there from before the tank was coated.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had an expanded Ducati tank that I put out in our all glass " sun room" this summer..especially on those 100 deg plus days...it is unbearable hot.. I washed it with dish soap first then sat it on a

My experience is to run the tank down as low as possible before removing, and after removing just drain / pour out whatever fuel is left. I think it is better to let the tank sit empty. Also, a number

When planning for a tank-off on the V11, I run the fuel level as low as possible and prepare a place to set the tank (a saw horse works great to keep the pressure off the bottom of the tank which may

4 hours ago, GuzziMoto said:

The wife's V11 tank has a small amount of bubbling in the paint, mainly under the harness for her tank bag. It is like little pimples in the paint. The tank is now coated, and so far seems to be stable. The pimples are there from before the tank was coated.

Which coating did you use?

__Jason

30 minutes ago, jtucker said:

Which coating did you use?

__Jason

Caswell

https://caswellplating.com/epoxy-gas-tank-sealer.html

It now comes in colors. I don''t recall that being an option back then. I used clear. But Dragons Blood sounds cool. I left the tank empty for a few months, it shrank back to about original size, and I coated the inside with the Caswell gas tank coating. No issues since.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Caswell's Dragon Blood was their latest product at the time, maybe still is.  The bright red color helps to see coverage when you apply it.

I had no bubbles on either tank.

• Like 2