Throttle cable

docc

Doing some pre-ride prep I can feel a broken strand on the throttle cable; not separated yet.

No way I can have a replacement in time to leave out in 36 hours.

So . . . . can a cable like be soldered lightly while the strand is still gathered up?

Or just leave it alone for the next 600 miles/ 1.000 km? :huh2:

I just replaced the throttle cable on my LeMans yesterday.  It had a rough spot from a broken strand - and it was bent at the bracket near the throttle body, because it had been under tension from high bars. I could occasionally feel the rough spot when twisting or releasing the throttle. I put well over 1,000 miles on it after I noticed it (not sure how long it was like that). It was still moving freely - never got stuck on the rough spot.

To your question - no idea about the soldering, but if it's similar to my experience, I think you will be fine as-is for a few hundred miles.

Is there a dealer along the (hopefully winding) route you plan to take? Maybe you can grab a spare on the way.

Get yourself a cable repair kit - if the cable breaks in transit you can thread a new cable down the old sheath, and screw whatever ends you need on. I've carried them on my dirt bikes for about 20 years and fixed heaps of other peoples clutches / throttles - they're a guarantee your own cable will never snap

• Like 1

Final prep today, so I'll hunt around for the cable repair kit.

I figure it would be ok, as Scud said, as I've found the cable much worse in the past.  It never occurred to me to try a little solder, but I never found one this early where there is nothing sticking out (yet).

Winding route for certain, but "dealers" where we're going are more likely purveying meth and moonshine . . .  :whistle:

Get yourself a cable repair kit - if the cable breaks in transit you can thread a new cable down the old sheath, and screw whatever ends you need on. I've carried them on my dirt bikes for about 20 years and fixed heaps of other peoples clutches / throttles - they're a guarantee your own cable will never snap

That's a great idea to carry. I just bought one to stash under-seat.

http://www.amazon.com/Gear-Gremlin-GG150-Cable-Repair/dp/B008U9HO0C/ref=pd_sim_263_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=06330BBBHS3NNTWX18GT

Winding route for certain, but "dealers" where we're going are more likely purveying meth and moonshine . . .  :whistle:

Docc - You are like a one-man tourism and visitor's bureau... always pointing out the unique charms and recreational opportunities available in "Middle Tennessee."  :grin:

• Like 1

Docc- you have to stop trying to twist the throttle 360 degrees, they just aren't made to maintain that kind of stress !!!!!

That's a great idea to carry. I just bought one to stash under-seat.

http://www.amazon.com/Gear-Gremlin-GG150-Cable-Repair/dp/B008U9HO0C/ref=pd_sim_263_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=06330BBBHS3NNTWX18GT

Docc - You are like a one-man tourism and visitor's bureau... always pointing out the unique charms and recreational opportunities available in "Middle Tennessee."  :grin:

Actually, we were bent on "points beyond . . ."

DSCN3526.jpg

@Craig - Thanks for that good advice; makes perfect sense. The cable rode 700+ miles, no problem. I'll get one on order. This one lasted 33,000 miles and would likely go much further if I didn't know about the tiny fault in the single strand.

• Like 1

If you can find a very old motorcycle shop or motorcycle mechanic ....they can replace the inner cable as long as the outer cable is good. Since the throttle bodies have less tension than carb models , the cable will last longer.

I assume you are old enough to have a cable lube set-up ?

I assume you are old enough to have a cable lube set-up ?

Something like this gizmo? Perhaps I should be applying it more often. Maybe every oil change or at least every gear oil change?

What's the preferred cable lube these days?

DSCN3534.jpg

clearly there is is a disdain for symmetry in your family. I've seen your son's foot peg arrangement, now I see your single saddlebag!... Ha!

Glad the trip went well!

I remember where I put the bag to take the picture. I just can't keep track of where I left my head! :blink:

0629151019.jpg

If you get a custom made cable, consider a teflon inner liner so you NEVER NEED TO LUBE ! I used to get them built up for my v50 clutch / throttle, they made it much lighter and lasted the lufe of the bike (100000 km plus) Unfortunately my tamed engineer guy finds making v8 motorbikes / helicopters etc more interesting than fixing v50 guzzis now...

• 2 months later...