It was 40 years ago today

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More like bare-faced boasting. The voices are rather similar, though..... They have a certain fire in them.

oh, 'face'. Right, for a small minute I thought that you had missed the pie, er... the point.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound big-headed.

Edit: me = dunce.gif

bookcover.jpg

:) This is where it gets difficult to know if people are on the same wavelength or not, just reading a few words in forum posts. If you're concerned that Mike, or we, thought you really were being big-headed – don't worry, that's not the case. It's just what Ratchethack calls UK humour. Except he'd call it 'humor'. My 'humble claim' was a reference to Humble Pie and I take it that Mike was following-up with a reference to the Small Faces. Both great Marriott bands of course. But even I am not sure if his mention of fire has any extra significance or not!

:grin:

Cheers for the good connection and here's to a bit of banter

He was bit of a hero alright

bg.jpg

and his guitar has a touch of Guzziness too

:) This is .......too

It took the follow up with the reference to pie to make the penny drop :homer:

:2c: Generally you know which topics and posters produce vitriolic comments and if it seems out of character normally means I've missed the point. Enough of that I'm now going back to my cheeky girls album - Don't listen to it just gawp at the cover.

bookcover.jpg

:) This is where it gets difficult to know if people are on the same wavelength or not, just reading a few words in forum posts. If you're concerned that Mike, or we, thought you really were being big-headed – don't worry, that's not the case. It's just what Ratchethack calls UK humour. Except he'd call it 'humor'. My 'humble claim' was a reference to Humble Pie and I take it that Mike was following-up with a reference to the Small Faces. Both great Marriott bands of course. But even I am not sure if his mention of fire has any extra significance or not!

:grin:

Cheers for the good connection and here's to a bit of banter

He was bit of a hero alright

bg.jpg

and his guitar has a touch of Guzziness too

Ooooh, I think you've been "got" BFG. I took the "big headed" reference to be a pun on Small Faces.

Sadly, my "fire" reference was indeed an indication of my twisted sense of humour. He really doesn't need a doctor any more.

http://www.stevemarriott.co.uk/stevestory4.htm

(second to last paragraph)

Is it a coincidence that my favourite Small Faces track is (seriously, for once) "Afterglow"?

Ooooh, I think you've been "got" BFG. I took the "big headed" reference to be a pun on Small Faces.

Sadly, my "fire" reference was indeed an indication of my twisted sense of humour. He really doesn't need a doctor any more.

http://www.stevemarriott.co.uk/stevestory4.htm

(second to last paragraph)

Is it a coincidence that my favourite Small Faces track is (seriously, for once) "Afterglow"?

Brilliant!

Well done :D:D:D

and there did just have to be something more to yours.

Just wait 'til next time

Meantime, edit added to above post :homer:

• 1 month later...
Yes, it WAS '69 -- and wot a year THAT ONE was. . . :sun:

Absolutely!

My '69 (recorded) album was the Stones' Get Yer Ya Yas Out

still one of their best.

See here for a top 10 best live rock recordings list, just for interest's sake.

No1 = Allmans at Fillmore East

Yep, a treasured gatefold

d148560n239.jpg

On the other hand I read a great review in MOJO of their performance in San Francisco. As grinderman have only about 6 songs they finished the set and did two encores of Bad seed songs,

And guess who made a guest appearance - Blixa

They are essentially the same line up as tour with Nick when he is sans Bad Seeds.

Which is Half of the Seeds.

Don't want to hijack the thread but I'd say if The V11 Sport was a rock performar it would be Nick Cave!!!!

Who would you nominate???

Tom Waits, drunk.

....No1 = Allmans at Fillmore East

Yep, a treasured gatefold

d148560n239.jpg

yeh :thumbsup: - that's a great album - incredible sound for live - I like Neil Young's "Weld" too... & ....Steppenwolf "Live":esp chord intro into "Born to be Wild"... :oldgit: & Gram Parsons fake live on "...Grievous Angel" & Bob Marley "No Woman No Cry"" & Johnny Cash at San Quentin - (anyone listen to the late Rick Rubin produced Cash stuff?).....

Tom Waits, drunk.

Hey! Big J - where you been?! :D

KB :sun:

My '69 (recorded) album was the Stones' Get Yer Ya Yas Out

still one of their best.

In 1969, my hippy parents took myself (2 years old) and my brother (baby!) to see the Stones in Hyde Park- I can't remember going but apparently we sat near the back having a picnic. Not a bad first gig!

On Wednesday night, I went to see Black Sabbath (rebadged as Heaven and Hell) with Ronnie James Dio singing- and they were excellent. Also enjoyed the very very loud support Lamb Of God.

Guy :helmet:

Today I'm reminiscing through the wonders of you tube - Styx, Kilroy was here.

This was brought about by the kids watching Shrek 2 and at the end Pinocchio does Mr Roboto in the Far Far away Pop Idol scene. I announced I've got the album that songs from on vinyl. They looked blank. I had to go through this before, with the 16 year old, when Debby Harry had her come back with the single Maria, at least then I had a turn table I could put Parallel Lines onto.

Not quite 40 years but getting on for 25.