new girl in town

V11crazed

Again, thanks for the info!

The bike does have the 160 on it, so that sounds like the right way to go.

I went to the local Guzzi/Ducati dealership to pick their brains, and oddly enough both the owner and the sales guy started dissing the bike. In fact, the owner kept telling me that that's not what I want and tried to get me into a new Breva! I realize he want's/needs to sell bikes, but he knew that's not what I was there for. I did buy some Cortech leather riding pants, so he did make a few bucks off me.... :wacko:

Thing is, I've been dropping in on that shop over the years, and I'm a familiar face, so I was kind of puzzled. In all honesty, I've never really liked the owner, seems to be a bit of a snoot. Maybe he didn't like my VFR in his parking lot.... :lol: He did offer to run the VIN #, so I guess that gains a point or two...

I did end up making some new friends there though, and seeing a couple familiar faces from just being in the riding community. Ride and a track day in NM were extended to me and I finally drove off with a big smile on my face, as that IS the one thing I love about motorcycling...the commraderie.

Well, guys, hopefully you all have the day off tomorrow and get to fit an extra day of riding in... :sun:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Skeeve. I think it has more to do with arrant cretinism.

Not likely to get any argument from me on that! It took me many years to realize just how completely unreliable many moto-journos are: I really only trust MCN [the 'murrican version, not the Brit] and the general slating that the Brit rags give anything they don't like [which at least smacks of honesty, but not something to take as absolute gospel, since it seems many of the stories are written as comedy... :P ]

I actually prefer the short frame models, especially with a skinnier rear tyre. Go like stink, steer like a dream. Never had an issue with instability but I do ride like the grandfather of the oldest man in the world.

Pete

Ah, someone I can keep up with! Who's (or rides like it) your grandad? One comforting thing about having the older brother that always excelled far beyond my abilities in most kinesthetic activities is that I gave up on the competitiveness that leads squids to becoming hood ornaments of on-coming SUVs years ago... ;)

Ride on!

:mg:

Welcome.

My short frame 2000 V11 steers quite neutrally, and is neither "flighty" nor demanding of heavy input to get it to turn. Compared with a modern sport 600, it is not radically fast steering!

What you will find is that the rear suspension is unsophisticated, and it is quite hard to find a good setting. This won't bother you on smooth tarmac, but mine seems to "sit up" and need steering correction if you hit ripples mid curve. There are some good debates in here on the best suspension set up, better shocks etc. Expensive though and the alternative is just to ride a bit slower.

Welcome.

My short frame 2000 V11 steers quite neutrally, and is neither "flighty" nor demanding of heavy input to get it to turn. Compared with a modern sport 600, it is not radically fast steering!

What you will find is that the rear suspension is unsophisticated, and it is quite hard to find a good setting. This won't bother you on smooth tarmac, but mine seems to "sit up" and need steering correction if you hit ripples mid curve. There are some good debates in here on the best suspension set up, better shocks etc. Expensive though and the alternative is just to ride a bit slower.

I may be wrong, but if its a Lemans then isn't it a long frame that she has ?

I may be wrong, but if its a Lemans then isn't it a long frame that she has ?

Good point :o The counter argument is that the LeMans wasn't built in 2001 I don't think :huh2: I thought they came out about '03 or so? I'm quite happy to be wrong on that. Likewise I thought the long spine was a 2002 inovation. Best bet is for use to be able to see a pic of the bike so we can stroke our multiple chins and gurn sagely and offer our worthless opinions so the poor woman gets even more confused and decides we're all mad a s balloons! :grin:

Pete

Good point :o The counter argument is that the LeMans wasn't built in 2001 I don't think :huh2: I thought they came out about '03 or so? I'm quite happy to be wrong on that. Likewise I thought the long spine was a 2002 inovation. Best bet is for use to be able to see a pic of the bike so we can stroke our multiple chins and gurn sagely and offer our worthless opinions so the poor woman gets even more confused and decides we're all mad a s balloons! :grin:

Pete

Well my red/grey Lemans was Registered Feb 2002 but has no front balance pipe but the silly wide rear wheel so I always assumed it was a 2001 spec machine.

now I'm confused :lol:

Hi Nan and welcome.......

I bought a 2000 V11 with 3,300 miles and paid $5,300 if that helps you gage. It was in excellent shape and had a few of the fiber bits, fairing, fender, dash and starter cover. Mine is silver and from what I have seen the green ones have gone for 4-500 more on eBay. I love mine although I do not get to ride it nearly as much as I would like....only about 500 miles in the past 3 months!

Best of luck,

Bob

Well my red/grey Lemans was Registered Feb 2002 but has no front balance pipe but the silly wide rear wheel so I always assumed it was a 2001 spec machine.

now I'm confused :lol:

You and me both :grin: . Lets wait for the anally retentive pedants to kick in! :thumbsup:

Pete

Hi Nan and welcome.......

I bought a 2000 V11 with 3,300 miles and paid $5,300 if that helps you gage. It was in excellent shape and had a few of the fiber bits, fairing, fender, dash and starter cover. Mine is silver and from what I have seen the green ones have gone for 4-500 more on eBay. I love mine although I do not get to ride it nearly as much as I would like....only about 500 miles in the past 3 months!

Best of luck,

Bob

Hi Bob,

Sounds like you got a great deal. Mine is a 2001, with 14,000 miles. I don't think it has any add-ons other than a luggage rack. The owner is throwing that in along with hepco bags and a moto guzzi tank bag. He offered to throw in a 170 rear tire (brand new) as well, that he hasn't spooned on yet. The owner was asking $5,500. So I think it shook out pretty fair for both of us. Was looking at another one in Chicago that did have some add-on's, he was asking $5,900.00.

How long ago did you buy? What are your impressions thus far?

Nanc

Hi Bob,

Sounds like you got a great deal. Mine is a 2001, with 14,000 miles. I don't think it has any add-ons other than a luggage rack. The owner is throwing that in along with hepco bags and a moto guzzi tank bag. He offered to throw in a 170 rear tire (brand new) as well, that he hasn't spooned on yet. The owner was asking $5,500. So I think it shook out pretty fair for both of us. Was looking at another one in Chicago that did have some add-on's, he was asking $5,900.00.

How long ago did you buy? What are your impressions thus far?

Nanc

Hi Nanc - sorry......I think the price on yours is very good......mine is not a Lemans which is worth, IMHO, at least a grand more......and again, from my watching....the green ones seem to get more than silver ones. With regards to mileage, most on this forum would say they are both low mileage bikes and mine might actually be too low and not well driven during it's 8 years.

This is my first Guzzi and I bought it from a older guy on Long Island in August and shipped it to Tampa. I bought it after lot's of research and really liked that I could most likely keep it running myself or at least do more "stuff" than I could on other bikes like a Ducati, etc.

I haven't ridden since college days. I really love it and now living in Florida I have the right weather for it.

At least to me, I feel you need to be smoother with the throttle than other bikes I have been on or "hold on"!!

Bob

rally.jpg

I went to the local Guzzi/Ducati dealership to pick their brains, and oddly enough both the owner and the sales guy started dissing the bike. In fact, the owner kept telling me that that's not what I want and tried to get me into a new Breva! I realize he want's/needs to sell bikes, but he knew that's not what I was there for. I did buy some Cortech leather riding pants, so he did make a few bucks off me.... :wacko:

I don't know which Arizona dealer you mean, but a lot of people seem to favor EPFG in Prescott.

Might be worth giving them a try for parts, etc.

As Bob just pointed out, low miles could be somewhat of bad thing.

The two reasons for this are that it was likely sitting too long, possibly unwinterized, and it may not have had all the issues worked out.

But don't fret it, low miles also have obvious benefits.

This forum will help you get past just about any problem you might have. If you have some idea how to use a wrench and hex keys you might not need to visit the dealer very often.

Most Guzzi problems are easy to resolve. It will not likely be as problem free as your Honda, but part of the fun is learning with the bike.

Also, the forum sponsors are usually better at having parts in stock than the local dealers, and often have lower prices...not that one should not support their local dealer, but it is your hard earned money,

I don't know which Arizona dealer you mean, but a lot of people seem to favor EPFG in Prescott.

Might be worth giving them a try for parts, etc.

Bit of a trip from Tucson, but there's some good riding on the way... ^_^

Bit of a trip from Tucson, but there's some good riding on the way... ^_^

It is a big state.

Yah, looking at the map and Guzzi's list of dealers, there are three dealers closer than Encore EPFGuzzi!

At least she has a few to chose from if she heads NorthWest.

People in other states aren't so lucky.

In San Diego I am really lucky now with two THREE FOUR Guzzi Dealers!

I might be selling mine with a near complete second set of body work and allllll kinds of upgrades, I'm not looking to leave guzzi just really like the Stelvio as its exactly what I've been wanting, the looks aren't perfect but I like it a lot better than the GS, The V11 is a good bike if you like cruisers as it has more punch and still keeps a decent riding style while looking sporty, but sport bike it is not, a great cafe it is, I'm torn as the looks and feel of the bike are great but I don't think I can pass 3 bikes by the wife, she'd keel me.