new girl in town

V11crazed

QUOTE (pasotibbs @ Jan 21 2008, 01:10 PM)

Well my red/grey Lemans was Registered Feb 2002 but has no front balance pipe but the silly wide rear wheel so I always assumed it was a 2001 spec machine.

now I'm confused

You and me both :grin: . Lets wait for the anally retentive pedants to kick in! :thumbsup:

Pete

I thought all 2002 bikes (Scura being one) were the pre-balance pipe spec. including wider wheel, which had come earlier, extended spine at head but prior to header balance pipe. Wrinkly black paint – nice. If it breaks springs, spews out bits of gasket, flakes paint and leaks oil – it's Genuine 2002.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As always wih our pasta eating friends in Mandello, they don't use year/model standards. I've seen a german 2002 V11 LM with the new red color plastics but with the wrinkled engine and without the front crossover. Whatever's on the shelf... I don't think this will happen anymore under the Piaggio management.

Fwiw, the Scura is a 2001 model.

As always wih our pasta eating friends in Mandello, they don't use year/model standards. I've seen a german 2002 V11 LM with the new red color plastics but with the wrinkled engine and without the front crossover. Whatever's on the shelf... I don't think this will happen anymore under the Piaggio management.

Fwiw, the Scura is a 2001 model.

What!? I was diddled?

Or maybe not. I'm only aware of ever seeing the Scura referenced as 2002 and that's what it says in the log book. Here are a couple of quotes from a very quick search. Anything that I saw indicated that it was introduced in 2002.

example:

>>Moto Guzzi V11 Scura

May 2002

The V11 Sport has been a part of the Moto Guzzi landscape since 2000, but now there's a well-credentialed sibling out to steal some short-term thunder - the Scura.

Moto Guzzi has given the limited-edition theme quite a nudge in the last couple of years...blah.... and it's now continued with the unveiling of the V11 Sport Scura, an up-spec'd version of the marque's self-proclaimed "sportsbike par excellance."

In my books, Moto Guzzi, which is now owned by Aprilia, has successfully trodden the fine line between limited-edition and all-new very shrewdly, and the Scura is the latest manifestation of that way of thinking. Because what we have is a bike with all the verve and character of the standard air-cooled, fuel-injected two-valve, 90-degree transverse V11, but with a few tasty extras to make the riding experience just that little bit more accommodating. Yeah, sure, the bike's a new toy, but it hasn't lost sight of its origins.

But, like most things, there's a price to pay for the jump up in class - the Scura, of which only 600 will be produced, retails for $22,999, as against $19,995 for the base model (which, incidentally, has dropped by $1000 since AMCN last tested it over two years ago).

...blah blah....

I'd have to say the uprated suspension does talk a whole new V11 language, because that was probably the biggest beef on the standard bike last time out. As former staffer Martin Port noted: "The combination of a 219kg claimed dry weight, long wheelbase and radical 25-degree rake/92mm trail make for a head shaking ride if the suspenders aren't working together."

...blah blah....

In 2002, besides a claimed 221kg dry weight in Scura guise and a slightly longer wheelbase (1490mm versus 1471), not much has changed in the geometry department - but the adoption of the new suspenders has made the world of difference.

The shaft-driven Scura provides quite an inspiring ride, with excellent stability and feedback all round - especially from the front end, which was accused of being a little vague in its past life. And there was nigh a hint of a wallow during the whole time I rode it - this is one Guzzi that appreciates a walloping through the twisties, and is well and truly up to the task.

Picture examples of 2001 V.11 Sport with narrower wheel rim, older style brake rotors(?) etc

and 2002 Scura and 2002 Le mans

post-890-1201122642.pngpost-890-1201122433.pngpost-890-1201122451.png

Picture_13.png

Picture_12.png

Hi Bob,

Sounds like you got a great deal. Mine is a 2001, with 14,000 miles. I don't think it has any add-ons other than a luggage rack. The owner is throwing that in along with hepco bags and a moto guzzi tank bag. He offered to throw in a 170 rear tire (brand new) as well, that he hasn't spooned on yet. The owner was asking $5,500. So I think it shook out pretty fair for both of us. Was looking at another one in Chicago that did have some add-on's, he was asking $5,900.00.

How long ago did you buy? What are your impressions thus far?

Nanc

Welcome Nanc,

Don't fret about the price, when you consider what $4800 will buy these days, you did good. You'll love this bke. The people who will tell you how terrible they are seem to be the ones who have their eyes fixed on spec sheets and acceleration numbers. The V11 has a quality that can't be measured in weight or horsepower. Soon it will become your bike of choice and the VFR will gather dust. They do require some maintenance and need a little tweaking to be "just right" but once you get it that way you won't want to part with it. There is a collection of guzzi knowledge here that will help you through anything that may come up. Enjoy!

Welcome Nanc,

Don't fret about the price, when you consider what $4800 will buy these days, you did good. You'll love this bke. The people who will tell you how terrible they are seem to be the ones who have their eyes fixed on spec sheets and acceleration numbers. The V11 has a quality that can't be measured in weight or horsepower. Soon it will become your bike of choice and the VFR will gather dust. They do require some maintenance and need a little tweaking to be "just right" but once you get it that way you won't want to part with it. There is a collection of guzzi knowledge here that will help you through anything that may come up. Enjoy!

Thanks for :sun: Dan...and yes, I feel it's a very fair price! I have a local mechanic that I talked to. He is the only one I take my bikes to. I encouraged me to get it.

I've read a lot about the tweaking and all, which only puts me off a bit, as I am so NOT a mechanic. It's all about the soul of the machine though and I have no doubts that I am making a great purchase. Who knows what will shake out with the VFR???

Guest frankdugo

congrats!i like the metzlers because the bike likes them much more than the bridgestones that came stock.sorry if i gave you wrong info ;did not know if they fixed that trans issue by your year or not.that green does grow on you!a kicker with the tires[american] is that at the booth's at daytona last year is that all the new bmw had pirellis and the guzzi metzler!the shop manuel says6000 oil change,i do mine2000 figuring its the same price as a tank of gas.dito with all other fluids&grease.join mgnoc.theres a arizona chapter.

• 1 month later...
Wow, 10 views and not even a "hello" or welcome....I didn't stumble upon a boys club did I.... :D, ah well, the vino and the fireplace will keep me company tonight.. :drink: .

Hi Nan, welcome in V11 world. Often I share vino and fireplace with...myself and my Scura, so don't be sad! What else we need? HUGS! :D

Hi all,

I've been lurking here for a couple weeks and finally decided to post up and introduce myself.

I'm the current owner of an '06 Honda VFR800 of which I really adore and have over 8,000 miles on in under a year. I've been riding over 13 years and live in Tucson, AZ. My dilimma (if I can call it that) is that I am being wooed by the first (sport) bike that got me interested in sport bikes a number of years ago (rode crusiers for years and than went to the bright side).... :D

It's a 2001 V11 Lemans. Metallic green and sweet. I've lusted after one for years and have found one in West Virginia that I am negotiating a price on. Asking was $5,500 for a pretty pristine bike, all stock with 14,000 miles on the OD. The owner and I have exchanged a number of emails. photos etc. and I'm pretty closes to buying. Owner did oil changes at 3000 miles, other than that he claims to have had no problems with the bike. Is $5,000 a good deal? Seems so to me.

I've perused this site for any info. I could find about the 2001 Lemans model...problems, hightlights...etc. I'm not mechanic (but I can change my own oil), and I have an excellent one here in Tucson. So, my question to all you experts....is there anything that I need to look out for, be aware of, ask the owner...etc. That I might have missed in the threads? Also, I will probably ship the bike (damn expensive), but riding it home in the snow is not my idea of fun.... -_- Anyone out there have experience in this, or recommends one company over the other?

Well, I suppose that is all I should post up for, for now, as I'm a newcomer and don't want to wear out my welcome just yet!

Thanks in advance for info.... :helmet:

Nan

To the new kid in town!

Nan,

I am getting a bike from Ft.Lauderdale and searched a weej for the best priced hauler to deliver to Ky. The hauler I found was EZ Motorcycle Hauler. Ph# 888-764-0185. These guys will get enough bikes assembled to justify(# unknown) a route, then deliver. The price was $525.00.

Good luck and congratulations on your purchase. Also join the MGNOC immediately.

• 1 month later...

Welcome to the madness, Nan.

As to the discussion about it being a LeMans. If the bike is an '01 and it's metallic green like the BOTM it is a V11 Sport. I have two spine frames and am still drawn to the green one. Gorgeous color scheme!

IIRC the first year for the full fairing Lemans was 2002. Same for the Scura. In 2001 you could get the Rosso Mandello with that fairing (limited to 300), but definitely not the greenies. At least here in Canada I'm not aware of any 2001 Lemans other than RM. Was the RM also a short frame or the later 2002 frame/body?

Welcome aboard Nanc! Hope you are enjoying that mean greenie! We tend to drive the women away fairly quickly here... I'll wait 6 mos before I hit on you ;)

IIRC the first year for the full fairing Lemans was 2002. Same for the Scura. In 2001 you could get the Rosso Mandello with that fairing (limited to 300), but definitely not the greenies. At least here in Canada I'm not aware of any 2001 Lemans other than RM. Was the RM also a short frame or the later 2002 frame/body?

Welcome aboard Nanc! Hope you are enjoying that mean greenie! We tend to drive the women away fairly quickly here... I'll wait 6 mos before I hit on you ;)

The Rosso Mandello came with a carbon fiber Scura type windscreen from the factory. The Rosso was a short frame bike just like the green ones. You're probably thinking of the 2002 Lemans with the RM color fairing up front, but with a greyish colored tank. IMO that is the best looking color combo for the Lemans.