new girl in town

V11crazed

Hi all,

I've been lurking here for a couple weeks and finally decided to post up and introduce myself.

I'm the current owner of an '06 Honda VFR800 of which I really adore and have over 8,000 miles on in under a year. I've been riding over 13 years and live in Tucson, AZ. My dilimma (if I can call it that) is that I am being wooed by the first (sport) bike that got me interested in sport bikes a number of years ago (rode crusiers for years and than went to the bright side).... :D

It's a 2001 V11 Lemans. Metallic green and sweet. I've lusted after one for years and have found one in West Virginia that I am negotiating a price on. Asking was $5,500 for a pretty pristine bike, all stock with 14,000 miles on the OD. The owner and I have exchanged a number of emails. photos etc. and I'm pretty closes to buying. Owner did oil changes at 3000 miles, other than that he claims to have had no problems with the bike. Is $5,000 a good deal? Seems so to me.

I've perused this site for any info. I could find about the 2001 Lemans model...problems, hightlights...etc. I'm not mechanic (but I can change my own oil), and I have an excellent one here in Tucson. So, my question to all you experts....is there anything that I need to look out for, be aware of, ask the owner...etc. That I might have missed in the threads? Also, I will probably ship the bike (damn expensive), but riding it home in the snow is not my idea of fun.... -_- Anyone out there have experience in this, or recommends one company over the other?

Well, I suppose that is all I should post up for, for now, as I'm a newcomer and don't want to wear out my welcome just yet!

Thanks in advance for info.... :helmet:

Nan

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome Nan,

No replies that's because they don't want to be accused of hitting on you.

Off the top of my head there were a couple of recalls on the early V11's. One was in the gear box and I forget the second. But at 14K I'd have thought they'd been done. Other wise yes there are some issues but the best advice is to keep the oil fully topped up.

You'll find it totally different to the VFR and probably initially wonder what you've done with this archaic lump of iron. But they do have a charm and produce enough real world performance and handling, and after a short while you'll either love or hate it.

Talking of handling the early ones have the shorter frame and narrower rear wheel and have been accused of being a bit flighty or quick steering to the point of tank slapping. There's plenty of advice on here on how to set up the suspension for your weight and if you're a lighter rider it's probably worth heeding as the V11 benefits from more weight over the front. Being a fatty I just got on mine and bounce around.

Guest frankdugo

another guzzista,good!you will have as much affection for this v as you have for the vfr.it should have had the trans. recall done.check with the seller.you will eventully give this green a endearing name -something with a italian word perhaps.i had a vfr 500 for 15 yr.called it baby.the v will out-handel the vfr.there will be many more ireating things going wrong-but nothing major.this is a long-legged hiway cruiser.on back roads its wonderful.it will not go as fast as the vfr.have fun getting to know this machine.ride safe 'ride fast. frank-cocoa

...and I was one of the views, was about to reply, and the kids needed tendin', had to run...

So, Welcome to the MOSTLY Boy's Club, by raw numbers only, NOT design!

Definately just go through the old Technical, How to's and 24/7 posts, there was alot of the exact research you are looking for, if you haven't yet. VERY helpful with my search for my this, my first Guzzi. Rode old Harleys and Beemers for 20+ before buying my Nero over the internet , sight unseen and never rode a Guzzi before. If it is as nice as it sounds, your motorcycle soul will not be disappointed, I'm guessing.

You can ALMOST assume with that mileage, the list of "usual inconveniences" have been sorted out. You seem to have done enough communication/homework to feel that this is a serious possibility. Around the Chicago area that seems to be neither high or low on price. And the price, once paid in simple cash, will be well worth it when you realize, as many riding this bike seem to, that you smile everytime you take it out... :notworthy::mg::wub:, Ride hard enough to scare yourself, and still ride home, Later, S.H.

And show a little love (Read: a little money) to Jaap if you can, and feel you've benefitted from this very cool site.

Welcome Nan,

No replies that's because they don't want to be accused of hitting on you.

How very English of us all ;)

A very warm welcome Nan. Hope you get your Guzzi and you enjoy it as much as I do mine :bier:

Agree with all the above. The V11 won't be nearly as Honda smooth as the VFR, but it only takes about 5 miles to figure out how nice of a thing that is. A good riding buddy of mine has a '98 VFR, and after swapping rides for a few miles about six months ago he bugs me about it all the time and is searching for a twin now!

Welcome to the forum.

Good morniing all and thanks for the replys and encouragement. And yes, I agree, the Guzzi is a purely visceral thing, it's got soul and beauty that I must own... :rolleyes:

The VFR is a great bike, but it swims in the sea of many others just like it. The Guzzi will be a nice addition to the garage...

To answer the other questions, I did inquire about that recall and the owner had talked with the previous owner about that long ago...seems it was fine, and yes, after 14,000 miles seems any issue in regards to that would have shown up by now.

What tires do you all run...(I know thats a whole can of worms right there)....I known certain bikes just seem to run smoother with certain tires.

Thanks again guys for the input...have a great weekend...heading out on the VFR later...gonna be 65... :sun:

Nanc

ps. The owner accepted my offer of $4,800!!!! Deal is going down....errr...up... :bier:

14k miles and changing oil at 3k miles...? :lol::lol::lol:

This oil must have the coca cola colour now.

Change oil AND filter, put grease where ever you can. Change all the possible oil in the bike before riding around.

Check steering damper (max. three clicks from end) Bring the bike to some guru!!!

Be nice with him and he will bring you all over the places you want.

Have fun!

ciao, Antonio

Welcome Nan and glad to here youv'e found a Guzzi to suit your desires! That vfr is a very nice Japanese "appliance", not that there's anything wrong with that, but you'll have great fun on that Guzzi. I agree with Martin most of the little issues have probably been worked out at 14k so you should be in good shape. We are all very friendly here (sort of) and willing to give advice (good and bad) and share our experiences (talk about ourselves).

Hal

Wow, 10 views and not even a "hello" or welcome....I didn't stumble upon a boys club did I.... :D, ah well, the vino and the fireplace will keep me company tonight.. :drink: .

Sorry, just came in: did I miss something? :D

Welcome to the most fabulous moto-forum on the planet; glad you could make it! WRT your inquiry re: the 2001 v11, about the only things specific to that vintage that I've come across here on V11LM.com are the existence of an oversize stud in the tranny that the shift lever return spring rides on that causes the spring to break and lock the tranny in gear. [vs. locking up the tranny, which is a VBT! :o ] There was a recall for this; probably the best thing to do is check w/ one of the good Guzzi dealers like Moto Int'l. or MPH or Moto Guzzi Classics (not technically a dealer anymore, but still awesome service) about any recall bulletins for your year. Have the VIN & engine case #s handy when you call: that info can save some head scratching wrt what or what not might be required. Even with the replacement boss, there have been reports of the shifter return spring failing, and there's someone in flyover country [OK? KS? AR?] that makes a replacement w/ reports of better longevity than the factory spring.

Reports of the "twitchiness" of the short-frame v11s' handling have been roundly disputed by several sources here: it seems more likely that the reports by the moto rags of "high speed instability" are more closely related to general inattention of moto journalists to maintenance [after all, the bikes aren't theirs! :P ] and Guzzi's attempt to follow fashion by putting a wider-than-optimal tire for the rim on their bikes. Couple underinflation w/ a rear tire that resists steering inputs, and some speed wobbles are completely understandable.

Me personally, I don't care for the fluorescent green colour of the 2001 v11 Sport, but that's just me. Glad to hear your deal is going thru, and looking forward to seeing your posts about your new pride & joy! :thumbsup:

Ride on!

:bike:

:mg:

Speaking of tire choice, wrt the rear tire, switch from the 170 to a 160 size. That will improve the ride & handling a great deal. Tire brand is up to how much money you want to spend.

The other thing you need to do if you are under 175lbs is make sure you get the suspension sorted for your weight. Its way too stiff up front as it comes from the factory for a light rider. Other than that adjust the bike to suit your tastes.

Reports of the "twitchiness" of the short-frame v11s' handling have been roundly disputed by several sources here: it seems more likely that the reports by the moto rags of "high speed instability" are more closely related to general inattention of moto journalists to maintenance [after all, the bikes aren't theirs! :P ] and Guzzi's attempt to follow fashion by putting a wider-than-optimal tire for the rim on their bikes. Couple underinflation w/ a rear tire that resists steering inputs, and some speed wobbles are completely understandable.

Skeeve. I think it has more to do with arrant cretinism. For years and years journalists bagged Guzzis as slow steering munters. When Guzzi made the short-frame V11 these self same journalists started whining about the fact that it didn't 'Handle like a Guzzi' AAAAARRRGGGHHHHH! I actually prefer the short frame models, especially with a skinnier rear tyre. Go like stink, steer like a dream. Never had an issue with instability but I do ride like the grandfather of the oldest man in the world.

Pete