Motorcycle boots

Tom M

I wear Tour Master Response SC Road Boots. They have a laces under the giant velcro flaps. Very easy to get on and off. I wore them camping at Laguna Seca and even played frisbe without any discomfort. They have ankle protection which I haven't tested yet.

g22564.jpg

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats those i!ve had during the crash... <_>

Slavomir,

Not sure if I got you right. Did you crash in the Alpinestars SMX's? You found they didn't give good protection for your feet? In what way? Abrasion? Puncture? Flex? Would another boot have prevented your injuries?

Are the Alpinestars Super-Techs you mention the 2 part ones with seperate inner boot?

Thanks,

KB :sun:

Thanks for the input guys. I think buying boots that you haven't tried on first is dumb, but I didn't let that stop me! Because I'm cheap and too lazy to shop my local dealers I ordered some new but apparently discontinued Sidi Champion Tepors off of ebay. If you see them turn up in the V11LM classifieds you'll know they didn't fit :rolleyes: (I ordered them before tmcafe weighed in with his "wouldn't recommend")

Here's what I got:

93ca_1.JPG

Thanks for the input guys. I think buying boots that you haven't tried on first is dumb, but I didn't let that stop me! Because I'm cheap and too lazy to shop my local dealers I ordered some new but apparently discontinued Sidi Champion Tepors off of ebay. If you see them turn up in the V11LM classifieds you'll know they didn't fit :rolleyes: (I ordered them before tmcafe weighed in with his "wouldn't recommend")

Here's what I got:

93ca_1.JPG

Hey Tom M, these are the ones I have on as I'm typing. You should be fine with the Champions. They look cool and fairly low-key for everyday wearing. I just feel the synthetic, unlike leather, isn't breathing well especially during hot weather. For cold weather breathing shouldn't be much of a problem. Otherwise they became comfortable after a short break-in. Can't say the same about the Combat Lites, which already gave me blisters on both heels after a couple miles one day. I just hope patience and persistence will eventually pay off.

Edit: Wouldn't worry about not fitting. Mine are true to the size (11), again unlike the CLs, which are 9.5

after crashing in such boots ending in injuring my feet...

I got Alpinestars Super-Tech...

+1 on the Super Techs . . . really saved my ankles after a bad get off . . .

1002alpinestars-supertech-boots.jpg

DSC00794.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I use "jump" style boots [lace up fronts, w/ a zipper side] because I've got funky feet [wide, high arch, somewhat narrow heel] that NO rear-entry boot can seem to accommodate, & few buckle-up models seem to fit well.

I've always wanted to treat myself to a pair of custom Bates [yes, Bates makes boots too,] ever since reading about them in a moto-rag article years ago. [sigh]

Oh yeah, I also have a pair of East German surplus Officer's boots that fit o.k. except those underfed european fellers musta had skinny calves, 'cause their boots hardly fit over mine & rub all the hair off my legs at the top of the shank. [grumble] Not too bad for $20 tho'; anyone w/ a U.S. size 11 & skinny calves want to buy'em off me? :lol:

My feet seem to fit your description and I use Oxtar Matrix boots - very comfy and waterproof. They are now sold as TSX X-5 boots http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/m...+gore-tex+boots in case you are interested.

Always wear Red Wing 6-inch work boots. These have soft ankle collar, grippy oil-resistant soles with good tread and 'speed hooks' at the top for lacing so you don't need a side zippoer. These are common enough you can find surplus versions on ebay for much less than the $168 suggested retail. Plus with a gel insert the Red Wings are almost as comfy as sneakers and can be worn at the office or social destination without looking like 'spaceman boots'. They come in black or brown, go with jeans, chinos or shorts and I've found them to be as durable as Chippewas (have chippewa work boots for snowy days).

http://www.redwingshoes.com/productdetails.aspx?prodid=1106

I give my riding boots a twice-yearly dousing in Huberd's shoe grease and these are good to go in all kinds of weather.

http://www.huberds.com/Home.html

To be fair, I've never wrecked in these so I can't vouch for the safety factor compared to armored footwear.

Slavomir,

Not sure if I got you right. Did you crash in the Alpinestars SMX's? You found they didn't give good protection for your feet? In what way? Abrasion? Puncture? Flex? Would another boot have prevented your injuries?

Are the Alpinestars Super-Techs you mention the 2 part ones with seperate inner boot?

Thanks,

KB :sun:

Sorry! I missed your post...

I have crashed in SMX, I ran to the car in 100kmh or so and the left feet went under the car, in the front of this boots there are some protectors, but during the crash, these have ripped off and cut my leg. I think, another, more protective boots, could save me two scarfs on feet, after all, none of boots could save me from broking the ankle -_-

add Alpin super techs, yes, they are with separate inner boot, are very comfortable and durable.

and another bonus? They look very "racing". With these boots I have 2sec better times in circuit :lol:

Sorry! I missed your post.......

Thanks! Maybe I'll go for the SuperTechs next. Like Arai, I like Alpinestars stuff cos it's comfortable, & feels well put together - materials look good quality, but I can only presume quality of protection cos that's their job & reputation.

Cheers, KB :sun:

What is your primary use? Touring? Track days? Going to be walking a lot in them? It makes a difference. I've had a pair of Sidi Sympatex On-roads for 3 years - waterproof, tough, pretty comfortable, riding and walking. If I lost them, I'd buy another pair.

• 3 weeks later...

T.

I have a pair of BMW Santiagos and think they are a good touring boot (they also look like a boot should look like!). I am surprised to see a product review in roadrunner magazine of a newer Sidi boot that sure looks like the Santiago but has one more buckle and their name written across the shin guard. Any bets that the same boot shop makes them both?

S.A.

Boots_Santiango.jpg

Sidi_Discovery_Rain_Boots.jpg

T.

I have a pair of BMW Santiagos and think they are a good touring boot (they also look like a boot should look like!). I am surprised to see a product review in roadrunner magazine of a newer Sidi boot that sure looks like the Santiago but has one more buckle and their name written across the shin guard. Any bets that the same boot shop makes them both?

S.A.

Sidi has been making boots for a long time. I suppose it's entirely possible for the BMW boots to be made by Sidi.

The Sidi you've pictured is the "Discovery". It's considered an "off road" boot and is waterproof...

They make nice stuff!