• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations to our friends across the pond. A new President sworn in at this time of need. :thumbsup:

I must say our bretheren are unusually muted for a boistrous and often patriotic crowd. :huh2:

Thank you for your kind thoughts!

I'm muted in my enthusiasm because I see his election as more symbolic, than substantive. From Iraq to the economy, Mr Obama has chosen to continue most of President Bush's policies. He has either retained Bush's senior advisors like Sec. of Defense Robt. Gates or appointed people who supported those policies like Sec. of State Clinton or Sec. of The Treasury Geitner.

He will make small symbolic changes. For instance, he will announce he is going to close Guantanmo, but then he will take years to do so. Or he will renounce torture, but then outsource it to The Suadi's like President Clinton did.

But nothing major will change.

As an aside, I read The Times of London and Der Speigel online. The european press does not give their readers an accurate portrait of President Obama.

M

I thought he was the better choice, and I voted for him. But I have no faith that he will do anything substantially different then the rest. He is a politician just like the others. He makes pretty speaches. But so far he has continued to support the status quo. I hoped he might make a stand on the increase in the finanial bailout, or speak up on the auto maker loan package (unlike the financial bailout, they would pay us back). He seems more concerned with his image then with substance. I don't think anything will really change. Tomorrow I will be in the same amount of debt I am today (actually slightly deeper due to interest), the banks will likely be in less debt tomorrow (thanks in part to my tax dollars). The american public will continue to get screwed.

Thank you for your kind thoughts!

I'm muted in my enthusiasm because I see his election as more symbolic, than substantive. From Iraq to the economy, Mr Obama has chosen to continue most of President Bush's policies. He has either retained Bush's senior advisors like Sec. of Defense Robt. Gates or appointed people who supported those policies like Sec. of State Clinton or Sec. of The Treasury Geitner.

He will make small symbolic changes. For instance, he will announce he is going to close Guantanmo, but then he will take years to do so. Or he will renounce torture, but then outsource it to The Suadi's like President Clinton did.

But nothing major will change.

As an aside, I read The Times of London and Der Speigel online. The european press does not give their readers an accurate portrait of President Obama.

M

I concur, nothing drastic will change, at least not right away or maybe even after awhile. I also don't see the hype of him being black, to me that has little to do with the chief socio-economic and political job he has been elected to, and if thats all some ppl point out, first black president, which is cool and good we've come that far yes, but no matter your own color, if its all you see then you sir are a racist, we're all ppl not colors. the OTHER thing is Rome wasn't built in a day, but it was ransacked and burnt to the ground in one, he has his work cut out for him to right the ship in whatever programs those turn out to be we shall see. I'm not trying to be pesimistic, I just like to keep as much of a realist approach to things as I can and nothing moves quickly when youre talking about the government

All we can do is hope and pray for changes for the better! I wouldn't want the mess he has to deal with. I would like to see change in Canada, but the same old boys network always slides back in, as most people don't even vote....sad and apathetic. People have to start being more proactive and accountable for any real change to happen. NO VOTE...THEN NO BITCH! Sometimes I think I should be more proactive and not pollute as much ,and then sometimes(a lot of times), I just say f... it, I AM GOING RIDING. I think we can all be a little hypocritical and apathetic !

Obama won't make a large change in anything overnight. That's a true fact. It is the nature of the US govt. that no one branch has more power than anther, so they are in constant conflict and a moderating influence on each other. In light of our history, I view that as a good thing.

What *will* make a change are the little things each person can do, be it help out a neighbor, donate some time to a worthy cause, or simply write a letter to your congressperson. The President (or Prime Minister) only steers the ship of state- the Citizens are the oarsmen.

Do something that matters. The foundation of any country is in the character of it's people. We should take ownership of our country (we all should take ownership of all of our countries), be educated on the world affairs and hold our leaders accountable and hold them to task for their jobs. That's my take on Obama's message and whether you believe in it or not is entirely up to you.

Congratulations to our friends across the pond. A new President sworn in at this time of need. :thumbsup:

I must say our bretheren are unusually muted for a boistrous and often patriotic crowd. :huh2:

A lot of people have been getting pink slips lately [& I don't mean the vehicular title kind...]

This was one of the most divisive elections in recent (U.S.) history, with most of the divide falling along the lines of support for Bush's war in Iraq. Obama was by far the best talking head of the bunch, but I was not impressed by his oratory until the night of his acceptance speech. I am impressed (negatively) by his track record on civil rights; I only hope that he has his hands too full with trying to rescue our nation from its impending economic doom to set us back another 10 years.

And lest we forget, the difference between Obama and Osama is just a little b.s... ;)

However, I'm ecstatic that the U.S. electorate has finally matured enough to send an ethnic minority member to the White House. I just feel we'd all have been better off if Alan Keyes was going to be that black man in the Oval Office.

But you're right, it is a big day, and I've spent it as I've spent virtually every other inauguration day since achieving the age of majority (save one) - by ignoring it. It's just an opportunity for the winning side of our unfortunately two-party system to throw a big party and cause thousands to stand outside in the cold & risk their health. In short, it's pretty dang stupid, & you'd think we'd have learned our lesson by now after losing one president to this tradition!

Luckily, the weather where I am in So.Cal. is so benign as to have allowed me to enjoy a ride today. But I probably should have chucked it & gone to the beach instead! :thumbsup:

I don't get all revved up about any politician, this one's no different, and I don't pay any attention about his skin color, could care less either way.

There will very definitely be change headed straight on for the citizens of the USA, and it's got nothing to do with the new president. If there's one thing that over-rides political preference, special interest wishes, or any other partisan leanings, and that's the economy, the great equalizer. And the United States of America has a current debt approaching 11 TRILLION DOLLARS. And it's growing fast. And this is before this giant makework funding project the new president is preaching about. After the honeymoon of a new president is over, the hangover begins, a hangover from 10 yrs of a false boom, spawned from Clinton's wish to give everyone in the USA a chance at home ownership, and the grand plan called the sub prime mortgage initiative.

A 10 yr boom means a 10 yr bust. And the USA is but a single yr in.

Hope you've been inspired by his speeches, hope you have lots of hope built up. He's probably going to have a full head of white hair after his 8 yr stint.

Steve

It's just an opportunity for the winning side of our unfortunately two-party system to throw a big party ! :thumbsup:

We also have what amounts too a 2 party system which doesn't give a lot of choice. I honestly hope obama does well but the cynic in me says if he pushes to hard against the party line even with the best of intentions he will be chewed up by the party machine, it happens here all the time :(