Yorkshire

You might wonder at the disproportionate representation of people from Yorkshire on this forum, I think Yorkshire folk link well with this group of Guzzi riding forum members. Yorkshire people are known for their forthright manner, 'tell you how it is' way of speaking. They are tough, independent and resourceful yet will stand shoulder to shoulder with their community in a just cause. Supporters of sport, football (soccer), cricket and rugby (league and union), they are enduring in their loyalty as teams rise and fall over the years. Tradition is important even to food with pie and peas, fish and chips and the appreciation of good beer (although curry is coming up well). That's just the women, the men have all these qualities but more so.

So you would think that after 45 years of living in Yorkshire, playing rugby for my school in York, working the land in North and East Ridings, forging steel in the Aire valley, running gangs of men building pipelines and motorways in the West Riding, sewers and a dam in South Yorkshire, worked with the hooligans in the inner city of Leeds I would now be a Yorkshireman. No chance! I open my mouth and they say 'you're not from round here are you' then sympathetically follow it with 'well you don't do bad for one of those southern softies', praise indeed.

Please have a look at this sideways view of people from God's country.

Fly Yorkshire Airlines

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice one John!

Speaking as a Soft Southerner (Oi be from 'Ampshire) I do enjoy living in Yorkshire- it has been my home for 8 years, Helen is from Yorkshire and the people and the roads mean I will probably never move away.

I'll never speak the lingo, and will never keep any pigeons or ferrets but am very partial to a pint of Timmy Taylors, and a chicken shashlick.

I enjoy pie and peas, but can't understand why the chippies up here don't sell pea fritters? :huh2::food:

Here is a pic I took the other day of a famous Yorkshire location- Ribblehead, on my way for a nice walk up Whernside. We had to give up about 50 meters from the top- needed ice picks and crampons to continue, of which we had neither- plus there were gale force winds on the top. Nice bit of fresh air though!

Whernside002.jpg

Nice pics Orson!

And yes DJ did learn his craft on these roads. His Dad owns a BMW dealership in Shipley, and I know a guy who is a very fast rider, who joined in on one of their demonstrator test rides over the Dales several years back. He wondered who the mentally fast fat bloke was on a GS who he could not keep up with- and yes you guessed it, when he removed his lid at the end of the ride it turned out to be DJ.

Yes, nice photos / roads.

On Sunday last, when Countryfile was celebrating 500 years of broadcasting to the Nation, or something like that, the programme was made up from features on the presenters' favourite places. The Yorkshire Moors was one: for the place and the food.

Someone should organise a V11 meet there sometime... :race:

Bikes, steam trains, viaducts, hills, views, pies

Helen and I could organise something- would you like this in addition to the Ulster 2009 and Denmark 2010?

No time this year for us! Money and time have already been spent in advance.

Maybe next Spring? Can think of a few locations where there is the choice of B & B or camping!

Yorkshire

So you would think that after 45 years of living in Yorkshire, playing rugby for my school in York, working the land in North and East Ridings, forging steel in the Aire valley, running gangs of men building pipelines and motorways in the West Riding, sewers and a dam in South Yorkshire, worked with the hooligans in the inner city of Leeds I would now be a Yorkshireman. No chance! I open my mouth and they say 'you're not from round here are you' then sympathetically follow it with 'well you don't do bad for one of those southern softies', praise indeed.

Could be worse, a work mate was born in Rotherham but moved to London when he was 16 so now having returned to Yorkshire (Barnsley)sounds like he's an extra from Eastenders !!!

Helen and I could organise something- would you like this in addition to the Ulster 2009 and Denmark 2010?

No time this year for us! Money and time have already been spent in advance.

Maybe next Spring? Can think of a few locations where there is the choice of B & B or camping!

The Ducati owners club had 2 or 3 years at a Pub near Masham that was ok (in Fearby if I remember correctly)

I'm told that the Brewery tour is good :bier::P (http://www.blacksheepbrewery.com/beers/cask.cfm)

Just to upset a few folks but I am a born Southerner :D:lol::D

NORTHERNERS

Once upon a time, in the Kingdom of Heaven, God went missing for six

days.

Eventually, Archangel Michael found him on the seventh day resting.

He enquired of God, 'Where have you been?'

God pointed downwards through the clouds. Archangel Michael looked

puzzled and said, 'What is it?'

'It's a planet,' replied God, 'and I've put LIFE on it. I'm going to

call it Earth and it's going to be a great place of balance.'

'Balance?' inquired Michael, still confused.

God explained, pointing down to different parts of the Earth.

'For example, North America will be a place of great opportunity and

wealth, while South America is going to be poor; the Middle East over

there will be a hot spot, and Russia will be a cold spot. Over there

I've placed a continent of white people and over there is a continent

of black people.'

God continued, pointing to the different countries.

This one will be extremely hot and arid while this one will be very

cold and covered in ice.'

The Archangel, impressed by God's work, then pointed to another area

of land and asked, 'What's that?'

'Ah,' said God. That's the North of England, the most glorious place

on earth. There are beautiful people, seven Premiership football teams

in the North West alone, and many impressive cities; it is the home of

the world's finest artists, musicians, writers, thinkers, explorers and

politicians.

The people from the North of England are going to be modest,

intelligent and humorous and they're going to be found travelling the

world. They'll be extremely sociable, hard-working and high-achieving,