1200 Sport v. Tuono comparison

RHIP

Last weekend I finally had a chance to test ride a 1200 Sport; unfortunately, I rode it after test riding a Tuono R. When the Sport was released, I really thought this might be a great transition for Guzzi into more modern performance. The Sport was quick, but not noticeably more so than my Rosso. The handling was, if anything, worse, and the handlebar is just too damn wide (I know, easily changed). A bit more comfortable, but not a reason to switch.

The Tuono...oh my. This was everthing dynamically my 1000 Monster should have been. Truly very fast, impeccible handling and steering - I felt like I could dodge at gnat's ass mid-corner, at almost twice the speed of the Sport. The bar was perfect, pegs still too high (but I think a Futura's would bolt right on). Overall, the ergos tied with the Sport. The brakes on the Sport were good, but the Aprilia's were better. This machine was light years ahead of the 1200 in every respect.

I'm keeping my Goose (at least for now), but I think that the bike we love, which has so much character, is going the way of Harley and the Morgan. This isn't a bad thing, but the bar on modern bikes (and the Tuono is hardly cutting-edge) has gotten so much higher that it's going to be harder and harder for the classic shaft-drive, air-cooled twin to stay competitive in any sporting niche. A well thought-out, attractively styled sport-tourer may sell ( a full-size retro V7), but otherwise the design is going to be stuck with cruisers. Maybe the secret is found with BMW riders (I've got a couple of those, too): only ride your brand, and you have no idea what else is out there.

The Tuono is basically a full on sports bike (RSVR) with nose fairing and flat bars- the 1200 Sport is a nice bike but is basically a soft practical touring machine heavily based on the Breva.

A Tuono will have 40bhp more than a 2 valve 1200 Sport (20bhp more than a 4 valve) and weigh much less so I guess it will always feel more sprightly, but on a long trip the 1200 Sport would be much more comfortable I am sure.

Yes, you have got that right RHIP.

The Tuono is (in performance) a better machine. Quick handling, lighter, more HP, etc.

Hayabusa is quicker! More HP, cheaper to buy, maintenance is also cheaper, etc.

MV Agusta looks horny! The sound is magic, very quick, very fast, etc.

End of the story we have to make a choice and buy the bike we mostly feel. Sometimes we cannot buy the bike we want ‘cos we don’t have the money and sometimes we are just attracted to a special bike.

I own a 1200sport and have rode a Tuono, I really do not recognize me sitting on the Tuono.

The gear is dramatic, the bike is not comfy, too nervous and looks like shit. I bought a old fashion bike, who tokes me everywhere, has a great sound and personality.

mv_agusta_f4cc_4.jpg

I have a Tuono R, so must add a bit to this:

The Tuono lack of comfort is highly overstated, as is it's "nervousness" as Antonio puts it.

I am a very legroom and general ergo conscious rider. I sold a new FJR tourer due to ergos (after throwing a good bit of money into changing it). I sold my V11 sport due to ergos. My 50 + year old knees can't deal with a sport bike at all, and they prefer my BMW 1200RT or a GS for leg room and comfort.

However, I bought the tuono for a little hoon action now and then. Full Akro system and fueling changes made. After setting up the suspension properly, it's a stable freight train on steriods. All nervousness was dialed completely out in about 10 minutes. The most pronounced improvement comes from dropping the forks in the tree and setting rebound. The power rush on this bike hits HARD, and after the suspension tweaks I can now enter decreasing radius curves, with significant pavement quality changes, under full power and with full confidence. There is no wandering, twitchiness, turn-in, etc. probably the best handling bike I have ever had.

The OEM bars had a tad too much sweep, so Protaper Hi-ATV bars went on. I now find myself commuting daily on this, and have done several all-day rides. Although the pegs are indeed high, the position is surprisingly very nice. No knee strain or neck problems for me, and I am a hard sell. I do not plan to add vario pegs or the like .. there is absolutely no problem here, despite my grumpy old knees.

Great commuter, canyon-carver, and sport tourer. Mad crazy power curve. Superb stability and handling. I honestly think you could fit this with a rear rack or soft bags and tour the shit out of it, or tape it up and race it. Of course for touring, the 140 mi range is a bit of a worry out here in Colorado and points west.

Hope this helps.

Jimbo is dead nuts on, and Antonio is....partially right. Yeah, bikes are totally subjective, and I don't want to go into the "value for the dollar" morass, of "I can buy two used R1's and a used KLR for the cost of that new Guzzi". Ergos, fit and feel are also subjective. The Tuono R I rode was dialed in or I was lucky - it was on the proverbial rail, and tracked strait and true like a bevel-drive Duck, but with lightening responses. The first-year V11 Sport I rode in 1999 was so twitchy it scared me for years - at any serious lean angle, the front end felt like it was going to tuck under, and I had to constantly correct. It was set up wrong, I'm sure, because my 2001 doesn't display (much) of that skittishness.

A lot of Tuonos aren't particularly attractive, but the one I rode had the blue/white paint scheme, and I thought it was pretty. I also think Isabella Rosellini, even at her current age, is more attractive than Megan Fox (forget the oil threads, now HERE'S the making of a flameout). For me, the Tuono was as comfortable, if not more so, than the 1200. It's all in the eye of the beholder, and I'm just passing on what my two orbs beheld.

My Rosso isn't going anywhere; it's a wonderful bike to own and ride. I've loved Guzzi's since having a V7 Sport in the 70's and 80's. My two cents are on the table.

SNIP:

I also think Isabella Rosellini, even at her current age, is more attractive than Megan Fox ...

I'll trade any one of my bikes for either! However the maintenance costs may surprise me.

Cheers.

• 1 month later...

Interesting to see this topic here, given that I came to post something about water-cooled motors!

Right, must go back and post it...

I love my RSVR, I've gone on a 800mi ride over 2 days, ok maybe it was 750 but I plan to do the same mid september, I couldn't believe how comfortable it was on the long haul, great wind protection and overall quite comfy, my ONLY complaint was the heat on the backside gets to be too much after 2-3 hours in the saddle. I still ride my guzzi but I won't lie the aprilia has led me to list the Guzzi for sale, I'd like an all out cruiser to replace her but who knows if I'll do it right away or not. I can't see comparing a tuono to anything guzzi. I feel its like trying to compare a modern ferarri to a 70's muscle car. Either you get it, or you dont.