rear drive seal

docc

I think I'm at a point in life where all my accumulated experience and knowledge is leaking out and disappearing, like oil in a Guzzi bevel box.  

Push back! :oldgit:

I think I'm at a point in life where all my accumulated experience and knowledge is leaking out and disappearing, like oil in a Guzzi bevel box.

Well said. Believe me, brother.. I feel your pain, and know *exactly* what you are talking about.

Well said. Believe me, brother.. I feel your pain, and know *exactly* what you are talking about.

I said, "Push back", but I realize I'm preaching  :notworthy:  to the choir on that point!   :thumbsup:  :luigi:  :nerd:  :bike: 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey docc I'm pretty sure my rear axle is stepped like yours. I just assumed it was like that. I noticed my bevel box has a slight leak about 3 weeks ago ( oil drop on the rim,bit of oil at the 6 oclock position reaching over the seat and feeing with the finger) and ordered the large seal from MGcycles at some horrendous postage cost then revisited this thread. Went back and looked at the bike....doh, its the small internal seal leaking just like yours. Looks like the box needs to come apart and another order from MG:(

Ciao

So . . . yep, the new axle is "stepped" as well. Maybe not as deeply as my well-used one, but in all the same places. Well then, replacing it is not likely to contribute to any solution. Still waiting on the drive shaft pinch bolts . . .

IMG_3888.jpgThe new axle is driven by a 14mm hex. The original is 10mm.

The steps I believe are where all the various bearing are, that`s why the axle isn`t a smooth pull to remove or re-install, some wiggling required.

The bevel box re and re is pretty easy, but the inner seal could be a pain, having to remove that big needle bearing, unless it`s missing like mine was.

The steps I believe are where all the various bearing are, that`s why the axle isn`t a smooth pull to remove or re-install, some wiggling required.

The bevel box re and re is pretty easy, but the inner seal could be a pain, having to remove that big needle bearing, unless it`s missing like mine was.

This last time out with the old axle took quite a lot more than the usual wiggling and supporting of the wheel/tire.  It was really hung up and took a wooden drive to get out. Certainly one of the reasons I decided to replace it.

It seems that the only bearings that ride on the axle the center bearing of the ring gear and the wheel bearings.  Well, and the outer needle cage that does not spin.

Ewe... I was told not to beat on a stepped axle while removing as it could possibly be hanging up on a bearing, which in turn my damage either or.

Meh... I beleave in what ever it takes... carefully that is.

Mine came out and back in with relative ease, though the last couple inches in both directions needed a good spank.

Mine never came out this hard before. It was definitely damaging as a metal shard came out with it. :blush: Not sure what that came off of.

Gad to have a replacement reardrive on hand as well as the fresh axle.

Hey docc I'm pretty sure my rear axle is stepped like yours. I just assumed it was like that. I noticed my bevel box has a slight leak about 3 weeks ago ( oil drop on the rim,bit of oil at the 6 oclock position reaching over the seat and feeing with the finger) and ordered the large seal from MGcycles at some horrendous postage cost then revisited this thread. Went back and looked at the bike....doh, its the small internal seal leaking just like yours. Looks like the box needs to come apart and another order from MG:(

Ciao

So . . . yep, the new axle is "stepped" as well. Maybe not as deeply as my well-used one, but in all the same places. Well then, replacing it is not likely to contribute to any solution. Still waiting on the drive shaft pinch bolts . . .

IMG_3888.jpgThe new axle is driven by a 14mm hex. The original is 10mm.

Is that new axle painted docc?

Ciao

I don't know how to tell the difference. Plating makes more sense.

Champing at the bit for the two pinch bolts. Kinda surprised they're taking so long . . .

I guess I got spoiled when all 43 of my clutch and oil sealing parts came in less than a week.

Well if it's got a layer of paint on it docc then it's going to be a right front bottom (as Pete would say) to slide through the inner bearing races.

Ciao

That's one of the exact things I got the new hunnerd-dollar axle to see to!

So, take it to the wire wheel?