front wheel bearing removal

bentfab

The inner race fell out on my 850-T3 as nearly all the balls and most of the carrier had departed. I now have nothing to grab hold of or push against to remove the outer race which is stuck fast in the hub. Anyone done one like this before?

If you have a welder a bead on the remaining outer race will heat it sufficiently and it will virtually drop out or a dremel type tool , carefully cut aslot in the race and it should come out..

Ended up buying a bearing puller from Harbor Frieght for a little over $30. Worked great. Took old bearings to local bearing supply and got the two of them for around $12. Local MG dealer wanted $30 each!

Thanks again for your help.

this. Normally, I buy Snap on or Matco tools, but I saw this at HF, and thought, "WTF? 30 some bucks?" It's a nice piece of kit as the Englishers say, for occasional use. Works great.

anyone have the part # for the harbor freight wheel bearing puller? this sounds much safer than pounding them out.  all of my pullers seem to have gone awol since last time i moved.

thanks, steve.

anyone have the part # for the harbor freight wheel bearing puller? this sounds much safer than pounding them out.  all of my pullers seem to have gone awol since last time i moved.

thanks, steve.

95987. Of course everything at HF is on "super sale" every now and then.. :oldgit: it's showing $59.95 on the net right now. I bought their $599 motorcycle lift for $299, another great buy for occasional use.

thanks for the input guys.

chuck, i looked at H.F. #95987 & it looks like a neat project on my lathe, & i have a slide hammer.

i have made similar expanding collets for machining blind hole pieces at work.

but......probably a lot cheaper & faster to just buy the puller....... :thumbsup:

cheers, steve

thanks for the input guys.

chuck, i looked at H.F. #95987 & it looks like a neat project on my lathe, & i have a slide hammer.

i have made similar expanding collets for machining blind hole pieces at work.

but......probably a lot cheaper & faster to just buy the puller....... :thumbsup:

cheers, steve

Let's see, now.. for 30 some bux I couldn't buy the steel to make them, not to mention *many* hours of labor. :huh2:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys,

I'll look into getting a puller. Stearing head bearings need to be replaced as well so it would be a good investment.

I am curious to know how you used a dremel to get the bearings out. I've already got dremels, die grinders etc.

Using a grinding head,cut through the inner ring it'll fall apart relatively easy

I use a wooden dowel the size of the bearing to drive it in,

about a half dollar invested for both

As others have said the proper tool is best but I've heard that using a Rawl bolt to grip the inner race and then hitting it from the other side also works and is cheaper !! :thumbsup:

You know thats not a bad idea

Ciao

• 2 years later...

Thanks guys,

I'll look into getting a puller. Stearing head bearings need to be replaced as well so it would be a good investment.

I am curious to know how you used a dremel to get the bearings out. I've already got dremels, die grinders etc.

You take the Dremel tool and put it between your feet while sitting in front of your computer.Then you get online & order the Posse wheel bearing tool.

I just ordered the Pit Posse Wheel Bearing Remover (#PP1692) as referenced earlier in this thread, but I skipped the part about having the Dremel between my feet while ordering.  I'm hoping to be able to salvage the good bearings from a wrecked wheel so I can keep them in my Scura travel kit (be prepared Boy Scouts...).

I have not done this job myself before (always had a shop press them in). The removal looks simple enough with the tool. Should I also consider an installing tool? - or is an appropriately sized socket and hammer good enough?

I'm thinking ahead about the bearing installer - to future swingarm and rear wheel work (and other bikes).  If an installer tool makes it faster, or easier, or less likely to F-up, then I'd appreciate a recommendation for that tool (there are too many options out there).

You find a proper tool the size of the bearing o.d. and does not touch the dust seal . TAP the bearing into the bore until it is properly seated against the spacer or bottom of the bore .  

If you ride in the rain or pressure wash the bike they may only last a couple of tire changes

They are so cheap they should be changed with tires I reckon.

On a trip last summer I noticed an intermittent squawking noise, I finally figured it was from the front wheel

The bike was one I bought in Denver and rode back to BC

I rode 60 miles back to a bike shop to find a bearing, it felt fine with just 1-1/2 bearings, now I always cary one on a trip.

http://s1304.photobucket.com/user/Kiwi_Roy/slideshow/Misc%20Pics/Wheel%20Bearing

BTW, I didn't butcher the pinch bolt they are all new now.

Thanks guys. And Roy, I think you mentioned this event once before. That's what got me thinking I should carry some spare bearings on the bike.