So, now I have to say, 'people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones'.

When it first appeared, the shock of the Diavel made it look like a ballon modeller's best effort at depicting a pot-bellied pig.

According to first ride reports, actually – it works!

Ducati has moved forwards and produced something new, innovative, in keeping with contemporary performance and delivered the proof of the pudding: it rides, it performs.

Everyone will be aware of the Diavel. In keeping with Guzzi's abysmal marketing, no-one much will know about Guzzi's version of a 1200 'cruiser', appearing on the stage at the same time. Us Guzzi buyers know about it though, and really, I don't think that it's Ducati that should be laughed at any more.

It is not whether or not it works that I am questioning. It is why it was built and why is it so ugly.

Porsche builds a SUV that works very well, but some people, myself included, question WHY Porsche built it to begin with.

Why would you think the Diavel would not do what any other Ducati does, albeit with less cornering clearance and more weight.

And reading how the shills at some glorified brochure fawn over any motorcycle means little. But I am sure it will perform beyond the expectations and abilities of those who buy it. But just when I thought Ducati had regained it design tastes they bring out this....

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, now I have to say, 'people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones'.

When it first appeared, the shock of the Diavel made it look like a ballon modeller's best effort at depicting a pot-bellied pig.

According to first ride reports, actually – it works!

Ducati has moved forwards and produced something new, innovative, in keeping with contemporary performance and delivered the proof of the pudding: it rides, it performs.

Everyone will be aware of the Diavel. In keeping with Guzzi's abysmal marketing, no-one much will know about Guzzi's version of a 'cruiser', appearing on the stage at the same time. Us Guzzi buyers know about it though, and really, I don't think that it's Ducati that should be laughed at any more.

It is not whether or not it works that I am questioning. It is why it was built and why is it so ugly.

Porsche builds a SUV that works very well, but some people, myself included, question WHY Porsche built it to begin with.

Why would you think the Diavel would not do what any other Ducati does, albeit with less cornering clearance and more weight.

And reading how the shills at some glorified brochure fawn over any motorcycle means little. But I am sure it will perform beyond the expectations and abilities of those who buy it. But just when I thought Ducati had regained it design tastes they bring out this....

Yes, but I'm not commenting upon the Ducati Diavel per se, rather the comparison that it invites (in all aspects and areas) with Guzzi's 2011 product.

Yes, but I'm not commenting upon the Ducati Diavel per se, rather the comparison that it invites (in all aspects and areas) with Guzzi's 2011 product.

Now you're talking.

Think future and progression and not retro and regression.

The Diavel is maybe a bold plan, but IMHO with guts.

Exactly.

Even though I would never buy a Diavel I am sure it would be fun to ride. Their strategy these days is to sell fewer units at high prices- when the new Multistrada 1200 was launched dealers had huge waiting lists and I am sure Ducati will drip feed the numbers of Diavels to dealers so demand is kept high.

The only bike in the range that really appeals to me is the 1000S.

868.jpg

I mentioned it in a different thread but I got to see the Diavel at a bike show. I didnt like it in the magazines, thought it was ugly and silly looking. But when I saw it up close and sat on it I really did like it. The thing just oozes quality when you sit on it and touch the switches and grips. Even the license plate frame is a really cool piece of work. There werent a lot of bikes at the show but that one was probably my favorite new model. I can say that you should wait until you actually sit on one before you say things like "I'd never own one" or goof on its appearance. You might have a hard time explaining why you bought one later! lol

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Apart from it's merits as a mc, the Diavel will sell because punters will not be afraid to buy into Ducati, with their large dealer network & market presence. Guzzi is near to invisible in the market, & dealer support & reliability are the constant worries for potential customers, not so much a lack of interesting models.

I don't know the figures, but it seems Piaggio's Guzzi V7 is selling very well? A very understated design (allowing the V7Racer as an aberation) with no great claims of originality or performance. The new Cali doesn't make any big statement like the Ducati but maybe it'll work solidly & sell well?

With it's current customer services & dealer set up, is Guzzi in a position to back up a big hoo-ha about some "revolutionary" new model - even if it could produce one? A restrained approach may be more appropriate & viable for Guzzi? IMV their efforts should be concentrated on establishing a better reputation for reliability, customer relations & dealer back-up.

Diavel is just another motorcycle. I'm sure it's a good one but what is so different about it really? It's a pumped up styling excercise. The fashion market relies on creating a "buzz" around product, most of the delight in the press is because it works at all - well that & the thought of more ad revenue & increased circulation.

Its sort of growing on me the Diavel- like I've said before I'd never buy one but am starting to get used to the looks and principle of a cruiser that goes, handles and stops properly.

Not sure if the V7 is selling that well Keith- well not in the UK anyway. There are currently 24 "used" ones on Bike Trader, many seeming to be pre-registered new bikes.

I was surprised to see that a standard V7 motor made just 37bhp on the dyno- and I think that is the problem- would not be so bad if it was cheap and cheerful but Guzzi are asking big money for these bikes. Well down on power compared to a Triumph Bonnie which is cheaper too so we know where most punters will spend their cash.

I've sort of given up on Guzzi as a company now- I will always ride and enjoy them, but can't see myself ever buying a brand new one again unless they make something a bit more exciting and value for money- I walk around the Moto Strada showroom and yawn as I walk past V7s, Brevas, Norges etc, Griso and Stelvio are both ok, but I really wake up when I see the MGS01 and the original Daytona in the corner- and that is the problem- I want a bike that Piaggio wont build.

Guy, I dunno re the V7's, no idea what's going on in the real world - I just had the impression off the forums that there were a few about - USA perhaps? I feel same as you about current Guzzi offerings. A Tonti style big block sports bike would be more appealing to me. It's a shame that a company that can make the MGS01 - admired by most any motorcyclist Guzzi fan or not for it's styling - can't seem to capitalise on it's virtues, & it's own historical strengths - good, functional, honest, stylish design.

KB :sun:

• 1 month later...

I have seen the Diavel and sat on it and it looks much better when its in front of you. I can tell you that I didnt really care for it that much...until I sat on it. Then you really get it, its very comfortable even with a stock seat and the grips and switches are all where you would like them to be and they have this feel about them. Its hard to describe but I did like it. Then you imagine the 160 hp and it weighs about the same as your v11 :race:

I have seen it in person as well. And it was just as ugly in "3-D" as it is in "2-D". And that was the same line that Ducati was using for the 999. But it was ugly too.

If it floats your boat then fine. But not only is the Diavel ugly but I am sorry that Ducati felt the need to build it. It is sad to see a top level sportbike company whore themselves out like that.

Ducati attacks every niche the way it should (they have a very well defined target and a bike to copy) and add in the Ducati flavour.

It worked for the Multistrada (BMW GS), it works now for the Diavel (V-Max) and it will work like crazy when they'll unleash the Ducati scooter that will just kill the upper side of that market...