Baldini

Aah, here we go fella's...

Would this V11 give it a go off-road?

Crazy nutter! Ahee hee he...

My link

My link

My link

My link

My guess is that the V11 in those pics is built as a road bike, not for off roading.

The big tyres are just for looks.

Are there any pics of it going through mud or up mountains etc?

I wouldn't want a fat front tyre like that off road, or on a long tour.

It's a city bike.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When I made a set of shift/brake levers, I used soft aluminum for the toe-thingys (what's that part called?). My hope is/was that they would snap off and leave the main part of the lever intact- because that was much more involved to make. The toe-thingy is just a rod that's been drilled and tapped.

honestly- the toe part is straight- the picture is off angle!

P2060167.JPG

P2060164.JPG

The correct name is toe-thingammybubs, btw.

Yes, that's good thinking too. What's the story behind this Jason? Just for fun or did the originals break?

And here we go. Not how I would want to do it, but gotta empathise with the thrills that the guy has had making all this. Interestingy, despite ALL the mods and the huge weight, he didn't feel the need to fit fat tyres or knobbly tyres.

4266474913_90945a47bd_z.jpg

4180124632_febbff344a.jpg

4179358789_04edf0a191.jpg

4072425109_a0fbe660d2.jpg

4179355543_15cd2f1f8c.jpg

4065290550_4d05f73714.jpg

...So Baldini, is this what you were thinking when you kicked this off?

Dunno. I just thought it was an interesting topic for it's own thread - taking a V11 offroading with a bunch of GS's, Morocco & one day even overland to Oz. Hope ScuRoo keeps us posted how he gets on...w/pix?

I don't reckon dedicated off road tyres, but maybe a set of dual purpose road/trail. I would think give the bike a thorough service before going. Carry spares: basic tools, multi meter, levers, puncture kit/emergency foam, relays, plugs, plug caps, bulbs, insulating tape, zipties, etc.

Then, maybe crash protection for cylinders/heads - hard panniers & front crash bars ? - protection for stanchions & seals & pos shock, more protective front mudguard. If making a sump shield, perhaps extend front to protect oil lines. When thinking about luggage: IME, it's much easier controlling inappropriate bikes off road if they have a low centre of gravity. Also, offroad could be hard on the trans particularly UJ's - dirt etc & the transmission shocks - ride it easy. I smashed UJ on a Tonti messing around in the woods.

Morocco in May should be fairly straight forward. There's loads of people doing long distance travel by bike all over the place nowadays - on all sorts of machinery. There's a Dutch couple travelling in Bolivia on an old V7 Loop http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3t-EHtCoC4

&

...Ted Simon did round the world on an old Triumph, & there was a bloke years back went overland UK to Oz (inc Sahara) on an early Tonti LeMans - bog stock as I recall - he ended up with lengths of rope for damping forks after riding miles of railway sleepers - & all them on road tyres. Anyone know of Martin Harvey (Aussie,1980's, Guzzi Overland, Leytonstone) - think he rode his old Tonti Oz-UK?

And if you're worried how a V11 will get on...check these Harley riders http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?s&threadid=29723

This is a site for bike travellers: http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/

KB :sun:

Kenny_going_up.jpg

And if you're worried how a V11 will get on...check these Harley riders http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?s&threadid=29723

All those bikes cradle the engine, don't they?

I'd still suggest that the weak engine casing of the V11, where stressed, is its achilles heel for off roading alongside GSs.

A sump plate on a V11 would protect against loose stones, for what that's worth, but to use it as a bash plate or skid plate would transfer the stress to the completely wrong places (if it's mounted to the engine casing) and invite catastrophe. That's one reason that I suggest using non-aggressive tyres as a limiting factor to where the rider might be tempted to go in the heat of chasing proper off road bikes.

Just my thoughts. Could be wrong.

It is indeed an interesting subject for debate and information gathering. There's just not much discussion happening... and I thought that the lack of discussion and posting of any sort was what people were bemoaning in various recent comments. So, chime up and chip in folks.

The Americanos must have more experience of V11s doing longer distance off road or semi off road than the Brit based.

Any pics?

..All those bikes cradle the engine, don't they?...etc

Fair point BFG. Guess I had really thought too much about it - but I see what you're getting at - yes, I'd rather take a cradle frame Tonti off road than the V11. The big bore Tontis are a very solidly engineered motorcycle. I never really got why people remove bottom rails from the Tontis - I can see the attraction, & for track use I guess it's not really too much of an issue, but I've always thought it will greatly weaken the bikes. Only real benefit I can see is easier routing of the exhaust to help ground clearance. Any wt saving is unlikely to be hugely beneficial in in the context they are used.

Note also tho, that the GS1200 is not a cradle design, gets extensive off road abuse & doesn't have a reputation for breaking frame or casings that I know of. To further muddy the water...I have a R80GS (the original GS) which is sitting in the shed cos I clouted the cylinder head against something very solid & it bent the frame - it has a cradle design.

Guess the lesson is a bike does well what it is designed to do. Occasionally, an exceptional design will do all things. The GS1200 was most likely designed ground up, with engine cases designed & built for the job they are asked to do, in conjunction with a frame designed to incorporate the engine as a stressed member. The V11 was an half-arsed, half-way, make-do-&-mend design using mismatched existing & new components. The engine cases particularly, an integral part of the frame design, appear not to be strong enough to withstand any serious impact imparted to them through the other parts of that frame.

So I agree with you: tackling any serious off roading with a V11 is asking for trouble! To make a V11 strong enough to withstand any likely knocks is probably way beyond what is required here, so I guess the whole thing becomes fairly academic!

But - go for it ScuRoo, just take it easy!

Fair point BFG. Guess I had really thought too much about it - but I see what you're getting at - yes, I'd rather take a cradle frame Tonti off road than the V11. The big bore Tontis are a very solidly engineered motorcycle. I never really got why people remove bottom rails from the Tontis - I can see the attraction, & for track use I guess it's not really too much of an issue, but I've always thought it will greatly weaken the bikes.

Perhaps it just looks good? Apart from a small amount of weight savings, which I can't imagine add up to much. Then again, I don't race.

BFG- the pegs were just an exercise- no real need, I made them for fun after I relocated my footpegs. They are, um, remarkably ugly and functional.

Edit:one could always go this as an inspiration for an 'off-road dog':

]http://www.automotto.org/entry/wild-bill-s-ride-remembering-the-road-dog/

Note also tho, that the GS1200 is not a cradle design, gets extensive off road abuse & doesn't have a reputation for breaking frame or casings that I know of.

Although the 1150 has a good reputation the 1200 may have a questionmark over it. On a recent ride with a group, one of the 1200's had a big endo The rider said it felt strange just before he went down. On inspection of all the dmage front to rear the casting for the swingarm/driveshaft was broken through just in front of the axle. Apparently this is not the first time some people have heard of this and we're not sure if it's a result of the crash or caused it. But the section of track where it happenend was smooth and dry with a small hump in the road unsure.gif

Years ago, I think, I came over a Japanese homepage selling frame stiffeners for the V11 (and maybe Sportis as well). It's been two struts, going from the oil cooler screwholes up to the main tube or so. It's been discussed here as well. These struts probably won't take load from the engine in case it falls over, but who knows for what it may be good in other cases.

hubert

... Are these what you're

referring to hubert and jrt?

http://www.motolavoro.jp/parts/motoguzzi/v11-frame-pipe.html

Yes. Good hunt, by the way. How did you dig this out again?

I'm not sure what's the idea behind this solution, resp. whether it's a good idea. I'm afraid the main effect of these parts is adding some weight and making the engine breathing even more vulnerable as it already is.

hubert