Offroading on a V11

Baldini

....Got a trip with GS'ed mates to Morocco coming up in May so need to find some massive knobbly tires for some inevitable dirt/sand road attempts....Anyone done similar? Got helpful preparation suggestions (apart from don't do it)?...

... I love my bike, I dun wanna nuther bike just 'cos it might be more suitable to do the job, I mean that's the obvious way out innit? Forget guzzi and go straight to ktm. Boring yawn solution... want MY bike, the one I love, to carry me thru - "thick or thin, for better for worse"... y'know what I mean?...Anyhow, it's like this. F.. fu..forget the lack of suspension height, let's focus at least on traction - HEAPS of it. Also a bit of protection to look after the bike a bit - and let's just see what the 'lil fcuker can do...I wanna ride home to Australia one day? Now, that's another story...

Now, are you all gunna pile on in and give me a hand, or at least shoot the breeze in off-roading a V11, or what? :drink: [/font][/size]

This was buried in an unrelated thread & deserved it's own - hope that's OK with you ScuRoo?

What's your route? How long you going for? River crossings?

KB :sun:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is cool- a very interesting topic. I've seen pictures of (I think) some Finnish person who put ice tires on his Guzzi, but I've never seen dirt knobbies.

I've taken my V11 off road on some mild fire roads- it handles fine on packed dirt, but I don't think she would do so well on sand or river crossings- too soft. The handlebars aren't very wide either- there is less leverage to force the front tire in the preferred direction.

I don't think she would do so well on sand or river crossings- too soft. The handlebars aren't very wide either- there is less leverage to force the front tire in the preferred direction.

I know what you mean

on the other hand, Nick Sanders seems to do fine, through sandy desert etc, on his R1 with narrow bars and road tyres.

anatomy001.jpg

nick-sanders-parallel-world-giro-del-mondo-su-r1_4.jpg

I'm o'kay with that KB, but thought I'd copy in here what I was on about. There are pics around of a bloke on a burgundy V11 somewhere with big big 'ol knobblies front & back... maybe someone else has too?

In Topic: interesting V11 for sale Germany

Posted 30 Dec 2010

Wee...ell Baldini, funny thing is - in line with gstallons suggestion - I WAS trying to procure a Quota in Italy earlier - but the transport costs back tipped it over the edge into, "Nah, can't be bothered territory". I even posted hoping for a creative way around the bluddy I-tie red-tape. And then I thought about it some more... I love my bike, I dun wanna nuther bike just 'cos it might be more suitable to do the job, I mean that's the obvious way out innit? Forget guzzi and go straight to ktm. Boring yawn solution.

I want MY bike, the one I love, to carry me thru - "thick or thin, for better for worse"... y'know what I mean? Seems like rossi46 and galaxiid might do.

Anyhow, it's like this. F.. fu..forget the lack of suspension height, let's focus at least on traction - HEAPS of it. Also a bit of protection to look after the bike a bit - and let's just see what the 'lil fcuker can do. Hey? Is that fun or barking? I say, "who cares", why not give it a shot.

So in answer to the question, "if you're thinking of matching GS off road, you're either very good or your mates are crap... or you're totally barking", I say this; "I ain't good and my mates are'nt crap - but where they lose, is they ain't barking!" And, "Besides, these pommies mates did'nt grow up on a Aussie farm. Farming life and too much sun does sumthin' irreparable to ya".

I've already taken my bike down pouring rain, rock strewn Pyrenees dirt roads and came thru without a scratch on the bike, or myself - whereas not the GS mate, but a TDM850 mate smashed his bike and wrenched a leg black/blue badly.

But, you know what? THAT was the day that stands out in all our memories. Fantastic. GS mate was amazed and looked at my bike in strange admiring ways. Hell, I did too.

So, that's my motivation.

Plus, did I mention the fact I wanna ride home to Australia one day? Now, that's another story...

Hi, it seems to me a sump guard would be a must do as I've already broken one fin. Gravel roads and potholes not a problem, just pay attention, higher wider bars would help relieve some forward weight, fork gaters and a boot for the shock to stop the gritty stuff getting into your seals, tubes incase you dent a rim and practise at fixing roadside flats. and some better air filtration, both access and reuseable, also some decent crash bars, if your on the dirt you'll put it down eventually, all though panniers will help at the rear something at the front would be good. A few people have turn ducati monsters into pretty good dual purpose bikes if you look you'll find some in here somewhere

http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32&order=desc

I read a story of a guy that rode one of the early slab side GSXR 1100 suzuki's from Sydney up the cape with little more than nobbies fitted, river crossings beaches , the lot back in the 80's so anythings possible

Gavo- thanks- that's exactly the picture I was thinking of.

BFG- ok, you've convinced me.

ScuRoo- Best of Luck! You might want swap the clipons for handlebars. I did that and it gave me a lot more leverage in cornering. A sump guard also sounds like a pretty reasonable addition. That would probably be a one-off. I've taken several of my Guzzi's off road (not anywhere near what you propose) and they have done ok. You are already aware of how heavy these bikes are (when they fall). Start lifting weights????

What I would suggest is to look into some way to 'blog' your journey in either real time or daily. Folks who do that seem to get a lot of support...might not be a bad idea. Hell, you might even get a beer out of the deal.

Again- good luck! I say go for it and hope it is a wonderful experience.

I took a Triumph Sprint RS round Morroco a few years back with a mate similarly mounted. Unless you intend going off the main routes into the desert your bike will be fine, funny we got the ferry with 3 GS mounted guys with ALL the gear, winches extra fuel cans etc etc, joke was on them, they had problems we didn't.

Good experience apart from the constant begging! it wears you down after a while, don't pick the plants if you are in the Rif mountains! the local drug growers have some pretty mean looking guns, Don't buy drugs either, another scam and you'll find yourself stopped at the next police road block.

Petrol is plentiful (easier to get fuel in the remote parts of the Sahara than in Scotland!)

Enjoy

Best off road Guzzi? Maybe this is a bit leftfield but how about a Jackal? It is surpisingly good on rally sites and could cope with mild trails I am sure. Would be hopeless on really tough off road terrain but then again so was my Stelvio which was a good road bike but awful off road. I know superhuman enduro guys may be able to make 'em look good but they are unweildy and very fragile if you drop 'em! My Stelvio fell over when I was cleaning it and smashed brake lever and footpeg, even with crash bars.

I've seen pictures of Aussies riding old Tontis on unsealed roads so I guess anything is possible.

Give me an old XT600 any day for this sort of thing much better than a GS.

Aah, now we're talking Gavo, some very helpful hint's there about protecting the seals etc., that I had'nt even considered, so thanks!

Clip-ons to handlebars change is already done as it's a Scura R (but just because its rare does'nt mean it needs to be overly molly-coddled).

I've got a set of M4's on that outlet too low for any river crossing's as is. However I've been mulling over a possible tempory solution. So, what about having made a couple of simple aluminium tubes which I can insert into and fit snug within my M4's and make water tight with plenty of duct-tape as it exits with a kink curving upwards to exit gases at a higher level? A kinda put 'em on and take 'em off 5 minute bodge job?

As long as these "Exhaust Straws" keep water out fairly effectively for crossings it might not be as crazy as it sounds, hey!

Now to tyres; even though Sanders used conti trail attacks, I'm after more all-out traction to power on through - if fine sand is starting to suck the bike down into it, I've gotta make sure I can keep momentum!

My rear rim is 5inch wide. What suggestions do you have? Heidenau K60's, TKC80's? What will fit?

(I've seen pics of a bloke with a burgundy V11 with huge knobblies on it).

Also one of those tow straps attachment on the front forks - in case my GS mate has to pull me outta the mire! (helluva fight before I succumb tho').

Sump guard is a must for sure Jrt - if it takes a knock it suffers and not the sump. If anyone has any pic's I'd love to see for idea's.

Galaxid, that's pretty darn cool!

ScuRoo- I don't know that anyone has made a plate for the V11, but I would think simple is best- have a machine shop or welder fab up a fat slab of aluminum that curves up around the alternator and with tabs that bolt onto the lower engine mounts? The holes are still there. There are aluminum caps in them now, but they pop out easily. Not sure about rear mounts... Also, in the simplest interpretation, you would have to drop the plate to change the oil/filter.

One really serious thing to consider- Carl Allison and a few others found out the hard way that if the V11 crashes nose-in, then the frame is very prone to being bent, even cracking at the steering head. In light of that, maybe a Tonti frame would be a better tool for the job, so to speak?

One really serious thing to consider- Carl Allison and a few others found out the hard way that if the V11 crashes nose-in, then the frame is very prone to being bent, even cracking at the steering head. In light of that, maybe a Tonti frame would be a better tool for the job, so to speak?

Maybe one of you knowledgable sorts would know...are the V11 pork chops the "weakest link"?

So, either reinforce the frame or make damn sure not to go nose-in, hey! Great idea on using the engine mounts for sump attachment points. Fantastic.

I've been looking at WW2 military bikes and most had NO ground clearance, but used lots of chunky tyre tread!

This fella seems to have done a good job on his 'ol goose! Blimey!

Hope these 2 photo's load - twin jerry cans for tank & something along the lines of what I was thinking re water ingress.

http://postimage.org/image/qkdt8ybo/

http://postimage.org/image/qkpe0ds4/