Offroading on a V11

Baldini

By my thinking ...

In this context these would do more harm than good. They are for 1st series V11 & designed to brace front frame assembly (02> bikes have stronger front frame section). The aim is to improve frame stiffness for fast road handling, not crash resistance of bike. Off road has different parameters.

Stiffened front frame section would have greater resistance to flex. Energy has to be absorbed in a crash & the weakest spot in the line will break. On V11's, in some impacts that seems to be front casing at motor mounts. IMV, stiffening the frame above them will only increase the likelihood of breaking cases.

You need to disperse any energy from impact. As BFG points out, a full cradle would be stronger as it spreads loadings. There is no point in fitting something that simply transfers the impact & breaks something else.

Interesting tho, to know wether late V11's are more likely to break cases here than early ones? To me it seems just another example of Guzzis haphazard, stop-gap approach to engineering on the V11's - just shift the problem along the line.

This is how it looks to me, but I'm no engineer.

ScuRoo, just try not to hit anything!

KB :sun:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You need to disperse any energy from impact. As BFG points out, a full cradle would be stronger as it spreads loadings. There is no point in fitting something that simply transfers the impact & breaks something else.

Yes, that's pretty much my point. I wouldn't compare the BM stressed engine to the V11 stressed engine. My original point is only, or mainly, in relation to the V11 engine casing weakness, rather than any and every un-cradled engine. I think that I said somewhere above, that the new 1200 Guzzi motor is (appears to be) much more robust. It should survive a knock that could break a V11 case.

ScuRoo, when you talk about stiffening the weak frame... it was more the engine/transmission block that I was talking about. The frame is not the strongest: it is recognised as 'not crashing well', but I wouldn't want to add more bracing that would only transfer more shock and stress away from the frame to the engine. So it's back to the original subject, where I'm proposing you use the non-aggressive tyres as a safety limiter, to protect the engine and frame. There's nothing that you can do to strengthen the engine.

But of course non of this should deter you from going anywhere or doing anything on your V11. Well, let some moderate reason prevail. It's just a great subject for discussion, new discussion, on the V11 design and usage. It's great that it arose and Baldini highlighted it.

JRT, yes - i would take that bike to the desert. Ahem.. no better place for it.