8V head smash

belfastguzzi

The big vulnerable sticky out bits are Guzzi's characteristic feature – and a worry to the rider (at least I think about them a lot). So I have enquired enquired about crash protection, with no solution. It's easy to get aftermarket crash bungs etc for most 'common' bikes and there are bits of protectors for many of the Guzzis, but no one (from my enquiries) seems to make provision for the Griso. Have I seen a pic of a Griso with crash bars somewhere?

Inevitably the almost-inevitable has happened. :(

5805992738_683a48c23e.jpg

Inside the cracked head cover: knocked-in and squashed corner, with indent (in centre of photo) made where it has pressed against the head stud nut.

5806003594_91e951a389.jpg

The stud nut looks pushed over and the initial impression is that everything is knocked over: note that the valve stem is against the very edge of the tappet bucket.

5806001544_97cda92f3d.jpg5806000848_bd7fb98618.jpg

5806006822_5e1b8bcc05.jpg

The tappet gap stays firmly closed as cam is rotated. Apart from the look of things, this is the reason that I think, at the moment, that all these parts are pushed out of place / bent. Otherwise, why are the tappet and valve stem jammed together?

Rubber gasket is torn where the gasket channel is pinched at the corner.

5805444803_e148f629c9.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry about that-

are you ok?

Aye

aaoww

Dave, while I've always been affeared of cambox damage in an impact of this type. I think its drawing a pretty long bow to say that Guzzi 'Designed in' a problem. You aren't supposed to crash! Would you say they had 'Designed in' a problem if it had slid into a tree and bent the forks???

Pete

:o Oh no...

:wacko: what the ****?

Did it just slide or did the head hit something other than the road? (edit - just read in other post - hit a kerbstone). Whatever, you'll have to pull down that cylinder & check everything for damage but I guess that's not telling you anything you don't already know...

Any frame/cycle part damage? I hit a truck with a BMW head once - head was fine, frame was bent.

You hurt?

Good luck.

KB :sun:

Jeez, if it wasnt for bad luck you would have none at all. No point in asking you to pick the lottery numbers <_ if the cams are toast maybe insurance will pay out and you can get rid off it>

Dave, while I've always been affeared of cambox damage in an impact of this type. I think its drawing a pretty long bow to say that Guzzi 'Designed in' a problem. You aren't supposed to crash! Would you say they had 'Designed in' a problem if it had slid into a tree and bent the forks???

Pete

Pete, I didn't mean that, so I will take it out of the title: it reads wrong.

I was meaning that the big design feature that makes the V twin Guzzis what they are, is by its nature also a big risk factor that is always there and always obvious. Most other 'ordinary' bike designs have the engine bits tucked away and can slide down the road on plastic bobbins.

sacrificial leg protectors

That's probably how it worked in this case, indeed.

Had a head on crash with a car on my BMW R100. You could clearly see where the car's bumper hit the left cylinder, stopped the bike, launched me over the car, another car, and unceremoniously dropped me on the asphalt, clear of all further danger. I walked away with a gouge to my thigh as the end of the right handlebar shaved out some leg meat/skin. I have no doubt that if I were on my panhead, I would have taken my left leg off, or been severely hurt at best. Those jugs sticking out are your friend...glad to hear it's just the bike, and not YOU :thumbsup:

Those jugs sticking out are your friend...glad to hear it's just the bike, and not YOU :thumbsup:

How to be friendly to them? Is there a way?

The earlier versions of the V including the 2 valve 1200 could have head protectors fitted.

The 8V design doesn't permit that same solution.

Crash bars? I don't fancy the look of them but may be the only realistic way to gain protection... if there are any. I came across a crash bar / hoop for the CARC final drive. Mine doesn't need that, as the exhaust provides the protection. The exhaust must have lessened damaged to other components too: e.g. the footbrake lever is bent, but not broken and footpeg isn't damaged!

5805429531_ca4740ec6f.jpg

5805987822_7c6ea3954f.jpg

5805989994_eb772ce9b3_m.jpg

5805433715_975525b4a9_m.jpg

Pete, I looked at your pics of the cam removal, from a couple of years ago, as posted on WildGuzzi.

Some of the links don't work anymore. Could you possibly PM me the address of your Flickr page where they are?

I am tempted to go the whole hog and remove the cam / rocker housing so that I can have a look at the bearing surfaces.

What is the small allen screw at the rear inside corner of the housing for? It almost looks like it's a grub screw to tighten against the head stud, but surely not?

Can you tell me: is there much clearance between the valves and piston heads? As the tappet gap was jammed tight by the shifted rocker assembly, the valves may have been sitting down into the chamber a little at TDC. Is that feasible? I did run the engine a bit after the crash... to see if it was going.