Problem with Gear Box

JBastida

It depends on how it looks from the outside and whether its hook will stay fixed and tight. To frickle a bit in the shop and then giving it a few thousand goes on the road are different things. Best fix so far is: go and get yourself a Greeny :)

Hubert

It depends on how it looks from the outside and whether its hook will stay fixed and tight. To frickle a bit in the shop and then giving it a few thousand goes on the road are different things. Best fix so far is: go and get yourself a Greeny :)

Hubert

I agree with you... we will know it along the following thousnads miles... :race:

That is awesome! :thumbsup:

Some of the most "thinking outside the box" we've had here in a while.Let us know how it works out.

My first impresions after 500 miles:

I've to do some more effort to move shift selector.

When I downshift or upshift I've to wait half second more for the last Clonck.

It's a little bit easyer to find a false neutral

I asume all these happens becouse spring tension is now higher than it was with the original spring, even though the mechanic put a lot of attention in setting spring tension.

To sum up, shift is a little bit burly.

We´ll see about longevity.....

Best regards.

...Best fix so far is: go and get yourself a Greeny...

So, anyone point to differences in this mechanism between Greenies & the later bikes? I never heard of a pre-02 breaking this spring.

KB :sun:

I've heard that Greenyes never reach to 13.000km of mileage, because they spent years in workshop waiting to be fixed, so they don't have problems with this spring :grin:

Today's report:

100 miles of twisty roads in "sport mode" on. Not a single false neutral, nor burly shift.

I would say whether shift feeling is improving.............. or I'm getting used to it :race:

Today's report:

100 miles of twisty roads in "sport mode" on. Not a single false neutral, nor burly shift.

I would say whether shift feeling is improving.............. or I'm getting used to it :race:

Nicely done JB. I like the simplicity of the fix. Looks like a permanent one.

The spring appears to be a bit heavy. A lighter spring would likely ease shift effort.

I have a 2004 cafe sport as well, I changed the spring with 21000 miles on the clock( paranoia was getting to me ) the spring was like new, changed it anyway and it is now my spare if this one goes. Strange how some bikes springs go and some dont :homer: . Touching wood whilst stroking a black cat :P

The spring appears to be a bit heavy. A lighter spring would likely ease shift effort.

That's not the way how this system, this spring works.

Hubert

You are right, looking again at current set up, the spring probably does not extend very much during the shift action. It is there just to keep pressure on the shift pawl so it doesn't fall away. The heavy spring will cause extra drag when returning to center after shifting though.

The heavy spring will cause extra drag when returning to center after shifting though.

:thumbsup:

Though spring just move sidesway a few degrees, this should cause some extra drag when operating shift selector. And then will help pawl arm to return to its center position <_>

• 2 years later...

I place here the answer to your mesage, Zooter:

Hi guys!

I didn't forget to inform you about the fix lasting. But I had a child two years ago, so I hardly ride my bike nowadays  :(

The fix work out well so far. My bike has only 37.500 km today. It means 1.500 km left to 39.000 km, when it was supposed the pring would broke again. (it broke first time at 13.000 km, and second time at 26.000 km)

Best Regards