Problem with Gear Box

JBastida

Well, I knew I shouldn't have mentioned it. Today the spring broke for the third time 5k, 24k, and now 34,611 miles. I am bummed. I do not have the know how to fix this myself. Oh carp. At least it wasn't in first gear like the last time and I had to ride 30 miles to home. I'm not sure if it's in 2nd or 3rd gear now. It happened about 2 miles from home.

That is a bummer. Given the series of failures, it seems like it would be worth investing in some help that is familiar with the problem of the spring and reducing the diameter of the arm that it mounts to - or at least point out the appropriate thread to whoever helps you with it. I'm still playing the odds on my '02 transmission, but if I have any reason to get close to it, I will do a pre-emptive repair.

Slightly off topic, the spring in my 72 Eldorado snapped as I was shimming the gearbox, it's massive compared to the wimpy V11 one.

A friend suggested we should start hanging the broken springs on our keychain as proof of passage.

There are 2 springs in the V11, is it always the one on the pawl lever that breaks?

What about the one around the shifter shaft (barely seen in the pictures)?

Actually Roy there are 3 springs in the V11 shifter system if you include the detenting spring.

For anyone interested I posted a writeup and pictures at wildguzzi on massaging the V11 shifter system.

Here's the link.

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=80481.msg1268500#msg1268500

Ciao

Thanks, Phil, for posting that link here, and the great write-up and photos on grooming the V11 shift mechanism!

Well done, man! :thumbsup::notworthy: