V11 Sport Overheating

moto fugazzi

Seems like my 2001 V11S is overheating, and has been all summer. After 10 miles of riding, the headers start to glow brightly (can only be seen at night) and the bike starts running horribly-pops on decel, pings when 30%+ throttle is given (mostly between 3-5k), and just runs rough in general.

When I first noticed it, I decided to send in my ECU for a reflash from Guzzitech. Todd advanced the timing a little and sold me a PCIII. Just had a custom map built for it this week, and AFR is about 13.1. so it shouldn't be running lean.

Here's what's been done to the bike:

Valves set to world specs

TPS reset

TB's balanced

PCIII added and custom map built

Open air box lid added w/K&N filter

Doesn't appear to be any intake or exhaust leaks

What else can I check? Could it be a weak battery? Bad sensor?

Ken

Battery would have nothing to do with it. You clearly have a fuel problem. That is the only way to make things hot on an air cooled engine. I am not sure how you measured the 13.1 AFR. If you are relying on what the ECU is mapped for, vice actually measureing it with a wide band O2 sensor, then you could have sticky injectors.

I was thinking I probably had sticky fuel injectors. I've been running seafoam in my gas for the last few tankfuls now. Not sure if that will help. Any good way to clean the injectors without removing them? Seems like it would be a pain to do, but hopefully there's an easier way. Can I get to it from the inside with some carb cleaner and a toothbrush thru the TPS butterfly valve?

FWIW, I just pulled the plugs, and they're brown colored.

Also, I just hooked up my VDSTS, and found that I have an error code for the water temp sensor. I wonder if it means engine temp sensor, or air temp sensor. Could one of those being out of whack cause the bike to run hot?

Definitely, sounds like you could have lost a sensor. Ambient air temp sensor is easy to check and replace. This is usually in the airbox. Has yours been moved?

Definitely, sounds like you could have lost a sensor. Ambient air temp sensor is easy to check and replace. This is usually in the airbox. Has yours been moved?

The PO had pods on the bike, and the air sensor attached to the frame. I have since replaced the air box and put the sensor in its proper place.

How does one check the sensors?

Do you own a volt/ohm meter ? Unplug the sensor and check the sensor terminals for continuity. If it shows reistance it is good. This is a thermistor ( a resistor that changes value w/temp changes) and you can check it by placing it in a refrigerator and checking the r value and then warming it up w/a hair dryer and checking it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

When the engine has a pinging issue, the ignition should be retarded, not advanced.

The engine temperature sensor is on the inner sinde of the right cylinder. Unplug the sensor and check resistance. The Ohm values are included in the workshop manual. In case you haven't one, download it.

The two sensors are thermistors, both have a resistance value of 3,000 Ohms at 25 C, there is really no way they can drift off from that.

The drawing that shows where to measure the sensors from the ECU plug, it's likely a wire has dropped off or is shorting

The one Guzzi call the "Oil Temperature" is the one in the side of block.

I posted you a couple of the thermistors on Saturday

Roy

ECU Test Points.pdf

Thanks Roy! I'll test the old thermistor when I have the new one ready to replace-no sense taking the tank off twice in case the old one is bad. I did replace the engine temp sensor last week, and the bike still runs rough when it heats up. I also plan on sending the injectors out for cleaning since I now remember that the PO had the bike sitting for about a year, and my first tank full of gas gave me about 26mpg. After a 2nd tankful of gas and some sea foam, the mpg went up to about 33mpg, and has consistently stayed there. I have run FI cleaner in every tankful since.

In case the injectors are shot and can't be cleaned to be useable, is there a part number or replacement injector that works for this bike? I can't seem to find any info on this site.

Ken

p.s. I don't remember if the ECU timing was advanced or retarded. I just know it was altered slightly from Guzzitech to help reduce pinging.

Thanks Roy! I'll test the old thermistor when I have the new one ready to replace-no sense taking the tank off twice in case the old one is bad. I did replace the engine temp sensor last week, and the bike still runs rough when it heats up. I also plan on sending the injectors out for cleaning since I now remember that the PO had the bike sitting for about a year, and my first tank full of gas gave me about 26mpg. After a 2nd tankful of gas and some sea foam, the mpg went up to about 33mpg, and has consistently stayed there. I have run FI cleaner in every tankful since.

In case the injectors are shot and can't be cleaned to be useable, is there a part number or replacement injector that works for this bike? I can't seem to find any info on this site.

Ken

p.s. I don't remember if the ECU timing was advanced or retarded. I just know it was altered slightly from Guzzitech to help reduce pinging.

So everybodys going for the complex stuff first. After 10 miles the ecu should have moved off the enrichening map and then the problem starts. First place to start is the fuel filter,then ensure fuel pressure is OK.

Ciao

Ken

So everybodys going for the complex stuff first. After 10 miles the ecu should have moved off the enrichening map and then the problem starts. First place to start is the fuel filter,then ensure fuel pressure is OK.

Ciao

Fuel filter was changed when I picked up the bike. Shouldn't the enrichening map be bypassed with the PC3 installed? Maybe the fuel or air vent lines are crossed? I'll have to check fuel pressure as well. Thanks for the info!

Ken

Ken

Ciao

Fuel filter was changed when I picked up the bike. Shouldn't the enrichening map be bypassed with the PC3 installed? Maybe the fuel or air vent lines are crossed? I'll have to check fuel pressure as well. Thanks for the info!

Ken

Enrichening map wont be bypassed with the PC3. Stick to the basic stuff. If you are 100% sure on the fuel filter then fine but with any FI engine that suddenly starts to exhibit issues the FIRST thing to check is fuel pressure. Its as basic as going for the plugs and leads first when you have ignition problems.most likley to cause low fuel px in order are Filter,pump,regulator.

Check the fuel pump inlet as well for a kinked hose.Not a big fan of that solinoid fuel tap either.

Might be worth looking at the crank sensor as well.

Ciao

Ken

Ciao

Ken

Enrichening map wont be bypassed with the PC3. Stick to the basic stuff. If you are 100% sure on the fuel filter then fine but with any FI engine that suddenly starts to exhibit issues the FIRST thing to check is fuel pressure. Its as basic as going for the plugs and leads first when you have ignition problems.most likley to cause low fuel px in order are Filter,pump,regulator.

Check the fuel pump inlet as well for a kinked hose.Not a big fan of that solinoid fuel tap either.

Might be worth looking at the crank sensor as well.

Ciao

You are correct about the warm up map, Lucky Phil. I know for sure the fuel filter was changed, as I have the old one. Now I need to figure out how to check the fuel pressure...

When I was looking up the fuel regulator, I found a pic for a replacement. If I'm looking at the correct part, it's on the lower RH side of the tank (by the petcock). I noticed that mine does not have a hose attached to the smaller nozzle. Is this normal? Pic is attached.

regulator.jpg

When I was looking up the fuel regulator, I found a pic for a replacement. If I'm looking at the correct part, it's on the lower RH side of the tank (by the petcock). I noticed that mine does not have a hose attached to the smaller nozzle. Is this normal? Pic is attached.

Nothing should be connected to that nipple.

As mentioned earlier, check your fuel petcock. The electric petcocks that were used in '00-01 have caused problems for some owners in the past. If they lose power the fuel pump can still suck fuel through it but fuel pressure will suffer and it could kill the fuel pump. A lot of owners replace the electric petcock with the manual unit from '02.