I have a Ralph Steadman poster on my wall ! Welsh ? English surely. He was born in Liverpool. 

Born in Wallasey, raised in Wales & his mother was Welsh. All here:

http://www.ralphsteadman.com/ralph-steadman-biography/ "...A little bit of Welsh, a little bit of everything..."  - guess it's up to him?

That's a fine box set you have there Jim! One day at a time, now...one day at a time.

In Holland we have special autumn beers, called bockbeer. All the small and major breweries compete for the best bockbeer of the season. Lot's of people can't wait for the bockbeers reaching the pubs.

Personally, I'm not that fond of it, a bit too sweet and heavy for my taste.

24-09-10_1292699_1.jpgherfstbok.jpgheineken_07_tarwebok.jpgAlfa_Bokbier.jpg
I can show lots more pics, but I think you get the idea :)

DOCC, slainte means "good health", so yeah technically it's the same as gesundheit.

You've got the irish pronunciation bang on, the Scots Gaelic version is pronounced a little differently, but it's close enough.(Irish and Scots Gaelic being 2 versions of the same language).

We use slainte just like "cheers", but there's a much longer version that goes on and on, which can include"land without tax-talamh gan cios" or "death in ireland-bas in eireann" or a bit more tongue in cheek"to hell with John Bull,ie England-na hifreann Le Sean bui).

That last one's more of a joke. I used it during the small irish portion of my wedding speech in vancouver years ago, there was a couple of retired British army generals and a RAF wing commander in the audience, so obviously I didn't translate.

But my dad thought it was hilarious!

• Like 2

That's brilliant! I love the wedding story! Closest we came at my (wife's) Italian wedding on the Lovely Jersey Shore was my my bother's blessing (which he voiced just before juggling axes and machetes over the parquet dance floor):

"The secret to a good life is a wet mustache. How you get it is your business!"

Of the sizable crowd, there were a good number of the old Italian guys slapping their thighs . . . :grin:

And, Jaap, I know you're not fond if Heineken (who is?), but I've never seen anything outside the nasty green bottle . I would give the bock a try if only I could.

oh man, ralph steadman.  one of hunter s. thompson's running mates. a killer illustration for "song of the sausage creature" among many others.

just to stay on topic, i'm having a sierra nevada (chico california) torpedo extra IPA as we speak (so to speak)

• Like 1

Any beer from Belgium will do the trick. Lived there for three years and I tried to drink my way through all the god knows how many brands they have. Mission impossible.

Try the Trappiste beers (made by monks), they are strong as f***  and make you go blind. Been there….

Slainthe, skol, prost, servus, salut, cheers, santé - the list is endless.

And what a wonderful topic to talk about here during silly season :-)

Søren 

• Like 1

There are 12 micro breweries here in Huddersfield- it is the Pennine water that makes the beer taste so good and encourages so many breweries to be located in just a few squire miles.

The Empire brewery is located right next door to where I work at Gutsbits- great selection of pale ales including Commerciale which is only £2 a pint at the local pub in Slaithwaite.

There is a train that travels from Leeds, through Dewsbury, Huddersfield, Slaithwaite and Marsden known locally as the "Beer Train", and on a weekend hundreds of drinkers stop at every station and get completely hammered.

If anyone is visiting West Yorkshire give me a shout and I will give you a tour of the local establishments.

• Like 1

Beer train? Sounds like the perfect venue for a 2014 meeting…..  :food:  :notworthy:

• Like 2