2003 V11 Sport Naked - serial number one?

chamberlin

All balanced out! Started out at about -1.5 psi imbalance, which means the left cylinder was drawing way more vacuum than the right. Adjusted the knob at about 3000 rpm until balanced, then tightened in the air bleed screws at idle until balanced. Aside from a CO tweak, the bike is ready to go!

IMAG1575_zpsuqqparh_edit_1413176992891_z

Yes I did but unfortunately only for a vey short trip. The vibrations that were there before are still there and in the same spot so I am chalking those up to the characteristics of the motor itself. Do you think the CO adjustment would take it the rest of the way?

Hmmm, I've got perfect idle now, and no pinging or popping that I can hear....maybe I outta leave well enough alone (for once!).

BTW, I'm really enjoying the SpeedHut gauges. They're rock solid, look great, and all the information is spot on (unlike some ITI gauges I know of!). Looking forward to seeing how they do at night (I got the optional back lighting module).

Thanks again for your support docc!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, finally bit the bullet and installed a Power Commander. I found this one, brand new for $125. It is the older RS232 Serial version, but I've got plenty of laptops with serial ports laying around. I found a map for modified intake filters and the Quat-D exhaust. Only problem was that it was a newer .djm file format, so I had to manually convert it to the old .map format. But I will say, the bike has no fueling problems now, and I am very happy with bike's performance. It was so bloody easy to install, and for $125, it was worth a shot.

2014-10-31155205_zps5dec122d.jpg

Trying out a set of older Rizoma mirrors that I got when I bought back my '03 Aprilia Tuono last month. I remember when I first got the Ape, these mirrors were a shaky mess and I immediately ditched them for modern Aprilia mirrors. But on the V11, they are surprisingly stable, and I haven't even installed weighted bar ends yet. The mirror area is quite small though, and you are constantly dodging your head around trying to get a full picture of what's behind you.

You probably can't tell in these photos, but the front turn signals have been moved back by about 1 inch. Before, they were rubbing on the carbon cowling, and making a helluva racket at certain RPMs. Now they are in the clear! Almost done here!

2014-11-11160410_zpsef86c644.jpg
2014-11-11160351_zpsaa84ed20.jpg
2014-11-11160247_zps955ebd90.jpg

• 1 month later...

Chamberlin - I just found this thread. OMG  :notworthy:

IMO - with all the work you've done, this bike DESERVES some authentic Rizoma tanks and brackets.  I got the same size tanks for brake and clutch - really like the symmetry. Also like that both tanks are perfectly level when the bike is level.  Spendy?  Yeah, but they're quality - and they're right in my face. Black ones would be nice...  :ninja:

Post another pic when you get the CF chin spoiler on?

Also - where did you have the pipes coated? Do you remember the name of the color?

• Like 1

The Rizoma tanks are unvented. IMO that's a show stopper.

Do you mind explaining why that is a problem? I thought the Rizoma tanks (and the company's products in general) were highly regarded.

The Rizoma tanks are unvented. IMO that's a show stopper.

Do you mind explaining why that is a problem? I thought the Rizoma tanks (and the company's products in general) were highly regarded.

I think I answered my own question. The vent allows the flexible rubber seal to expand as the parts (brake pads or clutch plate) wear and the fluid moves into the pistons (I knew this already, but I never thought about the fact that there is a vent). My Rizoma tanks are very cleverly and covertly vented. As you can see in the picture, the plastic cap in the metal lid (on left) has a small hole in it. The other side of that cap has a shape that allows free movement of air, which can enter or escape through the two gaps in the threads of the metal cap (at 6 and 12 o'clock positions).

Does this address your concern or have I missed something?