Brand-new Scura

Scud

I’ve had the Scura about 2 years now and done about 12,000 miles with her. But I haven’t been riding it much lately because I’ve been scared that the exploding flywheel countdown might be in the last few clicks.

After sitting unused for 12 years with previous owner, I converted it from living room art to kinesthetic art. I thought I might have real problems with seals and gaskets, but I’ve only experienced the stuff that’s pretty common to the V11 series:

1. Cracked breather hose
  2. Timing chest gasket leak
  3. Cam position sensor o-ring leak
  4. Cracked throttle body boots
  5. Broken speedometer cable

2002 models problems:

1. The nasty bubbling engine paint. The engine cases are the worst, but I can see it starting to spread to the transmission. I’ve started stripping the paint, and now I'm thinking about stripping the tranny too – and going with a smooth (not textured) satin black finish.
  2. The shift springs have held up - but I'm going to do pre-emptive replacement.

And the unique “Scura Problems”

1. Forks – The Scura was undersprung for most (but was OK for me) – and some said I should replace the fork seals immediately due to sitting for so long. Well, 12,000 miles later, the 14-year old fork seals are still holding, but I can see just a hint of oil on the forks – and it’s time for an oil change anyway. So may as well do seals now – and maybe new springs.
  2. And the big Scura Scare-a?  The dread aluminium flywheel.  It’s out and there is no sign of distress - probably could have gone a while longer. But the (slightly heavier) RAM fits the Scura’s transmission input gear perfectly and the steel flywheel should go the distance.

IMG_5393.jpg

IMG_5394.jpg

So there's what I'll be working on for a while - along with fluids and filters and adjustments and a good cleaning and various and sundry add-ons...  

• Like 4

Great thread Scud documenting all the changes here.  Nicely obscured all the small bits!  I just read it from beginning to end now that I've got Sophia La Scuzzi in the garage.  The Rizoma darker reservoirs look like a great idea...I had to chuckle as well as the first time I saw the transparent ones, the thought of doing a urine sample came to mind as well!  Back when I went to UCSD in the early 80's we used to go up to Julian quite a bit - didn't have a moto of my own then...but got to ride a friend's Honda VFR 1000 Interceptor up and down from La Jolla to Del Mar and Solana Beach and back.  I miss San Diego indeed...try to go back every couple of years for a visit!

One item I'm wondering...has anyone found good replacement grips which are not so bulgy as the stock ones?  Is there something in the middle of these grips on the bars which bulges out?  I've just put ProGrips on my Norge and they are very comfortable...curious if you or anyone has replaced the grips on the Scura.

Also...does anyone have a link to a PDF for the original Owner's Manual for the Scura or a Maintenance Manual?  Thanks!

Thanks, it's a bit of an obsession...

I'm still using the original grips. They are quite thin and there is no bump in the bars, so I'm not sure what you've got now. But grips are pretty standard and you should be able to use almost any grips you like.

For the manual, check the fileshare section on this website. Lots of other goodies there too, including the Ohlins manuals. I like having a hard copy on the table while I'm working, so I recently printed the whole thing. I kept track of what pages had English or pictures. This thread has all those page numbers:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19504&hl=

After sitting unused for 12 years... I thought I might have real problems with seals and gaskets, but...

...but maybe I spoke too soon. I was so pre-occupied with the engine oil leaks that I didn't notice that the transmission also has an oil leak. I think (hope) it's from the output cover and not something deeper. One swingarm bearing is bad (but I've got a freshly powdercoated one with new bearings ready to take over). She's damn near down to the spine and wiring harness at this point. And the little rubber vibration dampers? They just spin right apart, don't they?

Scud- I see you qualify as a certified Moto Guzzi Technician proudly displaying all you specialized tools, the rubber mallet on the floor to the right of the bike, and the orange persuasion instrument to the left of the photo!  Thanks for posting, now back to work.

Jerry 

Looks like fun...nothing like tearing it apart to get to know every bolt on the bike.

By any chance, do you know the actual weight difference between the RAM single plate and the OEM one?

Thanks!

Paul

"The nasty bubbling engine paint. The engine cases are the worst, but I can see it starting to spread to the transmission. I’ve started stripping the paint, and now I'm thinking about stripping the tranny too – and going with a smooth (not textured) satin black finish."

Same finish on the rear drive, no? It will only be a matter of time then . . . :glare:

Same finish on the rear drive, no? It will only be a matter of time then . . . :glare:

Just a matter of time... because the stripper works in 15 minutes. I'm inclined to eradicate the crinkle finish - engine, transmission, driveshaft collars, final drive, and reaction rod.

@Paul - I can weigh them both later.

edit: posted weights in this thread:  http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19510&page=4&do=findComment&comment=214116

• Like 1

Aircraft Stripper is the ticket!  I think Chuck recommended that. I used Rust-Oleum brand.

BBCode (replace photobucket's img with this in your post)

IMG_5434.jpg

And the crinkle paint is gone from the back end and the timing chest (which is a total PITA).

IMG_5437.jpg

The spare final drive is from my 2002 parts bike - so it's clear that the original paint is not only a problem on the engine.

• Like 2

Well so much for that "ratbike patina"!  Just joking Scud, amazing difference, good job!

I've been enjoying the look of it in bare metal too. If I had not already gone so far down the path of darkness, or if I had a silver sport, I would be tempted to paint it with nothing but clear-coat.

BTW - that aircraft stripper also removes powdercoat (tested on purpose - not accidental discovery).