Brand-new Scura

Scud

Stop to top up. It's long way through the desert... and a photo op North of Ocotillo in the Anza Borrego desert.

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

• Like 2

Up to Mother's Kitchen, at the top of Mount Palomar, where all the Sunday-racers hang out. Then a surf-check; waves are small. :-(

DSC_0023.jpg

IMG_2805.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

...and home.

Thanks guys. Come out and play some time. That's my "Solo Surf-n-Spine Raid." I'd be happy to play tour-guide if you're ever in the area.

@Rhino - that's the stock tank pad for the Scura - but it looks even better with the fuel door blacked out (IMO). Sorry I don't know a source for another one for you.

Here's a close up of one of my favorite ascents - 3,200 feet elevation gain in 10 miles.  :D

Screen Shot 2015-02-01 at 9.24.42 PM.jpg

I’ve had the bike about 3 months, and totally love it. The bike now has about 3,000 miles on it – 2,800 of them by me. I thought I’d summarize my experience, now that I’ve moved to the “just ride it” phase.

Overall:

I started with a bike that was basically a museum piece. It felt like a privilege to be able to own such a rare and pristine motorcycle. I never had a vehicle with a limited edition numbered plate before, so I didn’t want to screw it up. I don’t need it to be louder, faster, or lighter, so I avoided the most expensive aftermarket modifications.

Single Most Important Thing:

Getting the suspension dialed in (which probably accounts for about half of the posts in this topic) was transformational. I am grateful for the help on this.

Out of Storage Issues:

I was a bit nervous that I would experience some failures due to the extended storage. It was an interesting experiment to see how things would shake out – and it seems to have hibernated quite well. The only real problems were:

• Sticky throttle linkage (throttle failed to close, which was unnerving)
  • Leaky valve cover gaskets
  • Cracks in rubber intake boots (hiccupping is now temporarily cured with electrical tape over the cracks)
  • Small oil seepage from timing chain cover. (Given that most of the pressure from the sidestand goes to the timing chain cover when the bike is parked, this is not surprising – I think maybe a front wheel chock is in order for the garage.)
  • Many bolts made that “snapping” release sound that indicates corrosion – and then revealed some corrosion on the threads when removed. Getting most of the bolts out to darken them had the unplanned benefit of cleaning the threads and re-assembling with anti-seize compound.

Obsessive Compulsive Darkening:

My goal was to darken all the little bits and allow the big pieces to show – to accent the original design by de-cluttering the bike. I stopped counting after I got past 100 parts (which was quite a while ago). I estimate that I darkened about 250 parts, many of which were silver bolt heads and washers. In the pictures, it’s kind of hard to see everything I did (and that was the point – to not see things). The coolest stuff (IMO) were the midsize parts like the fuel door, passenger pegs, shift and brake levers, side stand, alternator cover, brake light base, and spray-tinted turn indicators.

Favorite (mostly cosmetic) Bolt-on Bits:

• Ghezzi-Brian carbon fiber rear fender and belly pan (the belly pan serves no purpose whatsoever, although the fender does offer superior protection from road spray to the lower shock mount)
  • Napoleon mirrors (also wider view)
  • Rizoma tanks for clutch and brake fluids (from what I can tell, there is absolutely no functional reason for these to exist – they’re perfect.)

Favorite cheap things:

• 83 degree angle valve stems
  • Black Öhlins stickers
  • Black reflective tape

Reliability Issues:

Without this forum, I would not have known to do the following:

• Roper plate. I plan on many more extended periods of hard acceleration up steep grades, which is apparently the type of behavior that is most likely to lead to oil starvation.
  • Electrical mods such as high-quality relays, voltage regulator grounding, etc.

Future Project:

The engine paint is already starting to bubble. Hopefully, I can tolerate it long enough to wear out a clutch plate so I can put in a new flywheel and paint the engine and trans cases all at the same time.

Music:

I like almost all kinds, and I think vintage heavy metal fits the Scura. Maybe my Scura theme song is Dark Lady by the Scorpions, because it has this line: “Sitting and watching the sunrise, darkness is filling my eyes.” My favorite rides usually start about sunrise.

Thanks for playing along.

Screen%20Shot%202015-02-03%20at%2010.52.

I like the way the Scorpion's tune starts with, what sounds like, a simulation of hard motor sounds.

I'll have to ponder, now, what music fits my Sport.

Scud, thanks so much for sharing this extraordinary experience! And the equally extraordinary outcome! :thumbsup:

I like the way the Scorpion's tune starts with, what sounds like, a simulation of hard motor sounds.

I'll have to ponder, now, what music fits my Sport.

Scud, thanks so much for sharing this extraordinary experience! And the equally extraordinary outcome! :thumbsup:

Hadn't thought about the song's opening that way, but now that you mention it, it sounds like my clutch. 

Maybe a high-energy Southern Rocker for you like Molly Hatchet's Flirtin' with Disaster  "I'm traveling down that lonesome road..."

It was a pleasure - thanks for the encouragement along the way.

Bad Motor Scooter

Absolute classic. Hadn't heard that in forever. Thanks.

Scud, you need to truly embrace The Dark Side my friend...

Get those fork shrouds painted!  Stealth ohlins- oh yeah!

-Well before my time but I love it and often hum a-hum humble it into my lid!

Stew