Brand-new Scura

Scud

IMG_5522.jpg

Tranny is back in, along with fresh powdercoat on: lower subframe, driveshaft collar, rider pegs and brackets, seat lock housing, Lucky-Phil shift extender, and upper throttle body brace. Engine is up next... 

• Like 1

IMG_5522.jpg

Tranny is back in, along with fresh powdercoat on: lower subframe, driveshaft collar, rider pegs and brackets, seat lock housing, Lucky-Phil shift extender, and upper throttle body brace. Engine is up next... 

I do hope that what I am about to say is not out of line but.

It Looks GREAT. :)

One thing though does concern me and that is that if you powder coated the foot pegs will it not make them slippery?

Thanks. Footpegs feel about the same as with the original paint. 

Sorry I was not aware that they were painted originally as they looked like they were simply bare aluminum. But I just have to say it again.

BEAUTIFUL Job.  :)

IMG_5531.jpg

Some steps forward and some steps back today. 

Throttle bodies got a deep clean, but the injectors were problematic. Somebody (perhaps the mythical Luigi) got a little overzealous with the loctite and I had to drill out the screws to remove the injectors - then use heat and vice-grips to remove the headless studs.So glad I discovered this challenge now - it would be a royal PITA if the engine was in.

Marty told me about this Dow Corning DC-4 electrical insulating compound - all the benefits of vaseline, but tolerates high temperatures and won't melt away. So I've been applying this to connections - did all the relays and fuses today. My 30-amp, stock fuse looks perfect (lucky me).

Then I noticed that the marks on my driveshaft were misaligned (by one tooth) - so I got friendly with the rear wheel again... and while I was in there, the shock picked today to start leaking... stream of shock oil running down the spine.

So, the shock is out and getting a rebuild while I go out of town again next week. Weird that it just started today. But of all the possible times, right now is about as convenient as a shock leak could ever get. It's never been serviced since new. I was thinking about having it done preemptively, but the dealer said "if it's not leaking, leave it alone." Two weeks after that conversation... it starts leaking.  :huh2:  I'm planning to have the forks rebuilt, may as well have the damper serviced while I'm at it so I can forget it about for a while.

My 30-amp, stock fuse looks perfect (lucky me).

I thought I was gonna sleep ok tonight, and now this . . . <_>

(When Moto Guzzi replaced my throttle bodies / injectors under warranty for *dripping*, the whole assembly was replaced. They are, apparently, not designed to come apart once assembled.)

I was prepared to install a Maxi-fuse holder, but I just don't want to break into anything else right now. I was nervous that I would find signs of overheating, so that was one "bright spot" today. What fun would it be if we all had exactly the same problems?

On the throttle-bodies: The injectors came out of my parts bike easily - so I thought they would also come easily out of the Scura (wrong).  I think the lower rail is "permanently" loc-tited to the bodies (otherwise it would already be powdercoated).  :ninja:

I was prepared to install a Maxi-fuse holder, but I just don't want to break into anything else right now. I was nervous that I would find signs of overheating, so that was one "bright spot" today. What fun would it be if we all had exactly the same problems?

On the throttle-bodies: The injectors came out of my parts bike easily - so I thought they would also come easily out of the Scura (wrong).  I think the lower rail is "permanently" loc-tited to the bodies (otherwise it would already be powdercoated).  :ninja:

Yeah, I tried to remove the throttles from the rail, they seems permanently fused together even after removing all bolts. There is probably some hidden key slathered in Loctite.

I stopped myself from breaking something and buttoned everything back up. I didn't really need to take everything apart, I just like to think I am being "thorough".

I consider this (learned) restraint my most valuable skill in tinkering with Italian motorcycles.... :mg:

Restraint - the thing you give yourself credit for when you don't do something (not putting in 30-amp fuse holder) and the thing you realize you don't have enough when it's too late (and you find yourself drilling out screw heads to remove your injectors).

On the subject of restraint, I had decided to forgo installing the upgraded cam-chain tensioner (credit for restraint) - but then I saw how the crinkle paint was coming off inside the engine case behind the timing chain (restraint overcome by desire to remove contaminants from oil).  But to be totally honest, Chuck said the new tensioner would make a cool noise, and I have very little restraint when it comes to cool mechanical noises.

And now I'm stuck again... 

I got the woodruff key out and removed the sliding collar from the middle shaft. But the 32mm retaining nut on the middle gear... the shop manual just says "remove."  With what sort of tool? Am I missing something obvious here, or do I have to get a 32mm socket that is about 90mm deep - one that will slide all the way over the end of the crank? I've never seen a socket that deep.

IMG_5530.jpg

I chickened out replacing my tensioner last time I had the timing cover off. I did get myself a set of plumbers sockets that you could put a crescent wrench on. They would/will fit over the crankshaft.

Sorry that's all I can offer.