Looking at a 2000 V11 Sport

Antiquar

Thanks czakky. I checked the stator wires, they looked good to my electrically-untrained eye. I hit them with some contact cleaner just to be safe. 

Thanks czakky. I checked the stator wires, they looked good to my electrically-untrained eye. I hit them with some contact cleaner just to be safe. 

I had battery charging problems, and since the Motobat battery had 2012 written on it, I thought it was toast. I bought a Shorai LFX21L6-BS12 to replace it. Then I had the brainwave that I should take advice from this forum before I fitted the new battery, and check the charging circuit. I found a melted 30 amp fuse, and burned connectors on the yellow wire pair between the alternator & regulator. I grounded the regulator as well. Now the old Motobat cranks too well to throw out, and the new Shorai is sitting on the shelf. Sigh.

V11 Battery Not Charging Fixes.jpg

I received my EDLGUZ-VoltRect unit from EME yesterday and installed it this morning.

I strung 10 gauge wire from the battery to the regulator/rectifier area and spliced together all the pertinent wires. I now reach 14.5V around 2k RPM. That is quite a difference. 

:luigi:  :luigi:

• Like 1

There is an ATO fuse but replacing it with a MAXI fuse is next on the list. Those burned fuse photos are pretty terrifying. I'm just excited to see some good charging numbers.

I received my EDLGUZ-VoltRect unit from EME yesterday and installed it this morning.

I strung 10 gauge wire from the battery to the regulator/rectifier area and spliced together all the pertinent wires. I now reach 14.5V around 2k RPM. That is quite a difference. 

You wouldn't want to see any more than 14.5 volts if you are running and AGM battery or you will cook it.

Ciao

You wouldn't want to see any more than 14.5 volts if you are running and AGM battery or you will cook it.

Cia.

Agreed, that is generally true, but is temperature dependent. An AGM chart I use for reference shows the following charge voltages (float voltages differ):

32ºF           50ºF            68ºF         77ºF          86ºF        104ºF

(0ºC)          (10ºC)          (20ºC)      (25ºC)       (30ºC)       (40ºC)      

15.30v        15.06v         14.82v     14.70v      14.58v      14.34v

I've read elsewhere in the Odyssey literature that the charge range is 14.2 - 14.7 v and not to exceed 15 volts.

The melting fuse is a common occurrence. I suspect caused by the regulator setup, it puts out pulses of current well in excess of 30 Amps.

The regulator ground is so important because the charging current has to pass back from the chassis to the regulator case in order to complete the circuit back to the alternator, there's too much Voltage drop in the little wire Luigi ran back to the battery. Lately I have been advocating a strip of Aluminum sheet metal instead of copper wire that way it's the same material all the way from regulator case to engine.

Sent from my shoe phone!

• Like 1

Lately I have been advocating a strip of Aluminum sheet metal instead of copper wire that way it's the same material all the way from regulator case to engine.

What's the aim, there, Roy? Trying to avoid the bimetal corrosion at connections?

I finally did my TPS calibration and TB sync today. It all went pretty smoothly. The TPS was set at 250mV when closed. I bumped it down to ~150mV. The TBs were pretty well synced already, but I fine tuned them. I also increased the idle as it was a bit low (though I already miss that tractor thumping at idle). I took it for a quick ride after tuning and you can really tell a difference. It wasn't night and day but the bike is noticeably sharper.

One problem I encounter was that the PO had plugged the vacuum ports in the intake manifolds with bolts, and evidently had overtightened them--the threads in the manifolds were not in good shape. That said, I was able to install my motionpro vacuum ports and reinstall the plugs afterward very tenderly. Next time I'm up for a TB sync I may replace the intake manifolds to be on the safe side, though I suspect a helicoil would suffice for the application as well.

Next up: get the correct OBD2 cable and adapter to adjust fuel trim and play with ECU. Buy a grease gun to lube up the drive shaft.

Well done, man! You've really got this coming together! :thumbsup:

I had to heli-coil one of my intake taps after (over)using the (ungood) bolt method. :bbblll:

But,  with simple brass vacuum taps in place, and rubber capped, they are easy to access for the periodic balancing act. B)

I carry some extra rubber caps just in case one gets split or spit off.

• Like 1

Or connect the two vacuum ports with a short length of rubber hose for even more balancing goodness...;)