V11 Sport performance mods ?

knumbnutz

Hi Everyone,
I have just bought a V11 Lemans which is styled as a V11 sport as its naked, but was thinking to do a couple of engine mods to raise the performance level up .
What do people recommend for this ?
I have seen 11:1 hi comp pistons from Wiseco which would be a good start I guess, perhaps ECU, airbox ??
So what other stuff is there ?

My wifes V11 has a PC3, Mistral mufflers, high flow air filter, porting, and cylinders and heads milled to set squish / raise compression. I would like to get a cross-over for it at some point, or switch to a two into one exhaust. There are cams as well, and Mike Rich has a nice piston for it, but availability can be spotty.

I don't understand the "enjoy it for what it is" mentality. I mean, I understand why some feel that way, but I don't understand why they think others should feel that way.

Personally, part of the fun for me is making the bike better then it came from the factory. And there is more room for improvement with a Guzzi than there is with most other bikes. A reasonable amount of money and effort can bring noticeable gains. I have maybe two grand total spent on the wifes V11 and it is noticeably faster. In fact, it is faster than my '07 Griso. Not by a lot, but it is faster. More than that, it is more fun to ride.

• Like 5

I have a mechanically stock Scura and a slightly modified LeMans. The only performance mods to the LeMans are the Titanium Kit Racing ECU and cut-down exhaust. I'm going to try a new crossover soon, just for the fun of it. You can install (or have someone else do it) the Titanium map on your current ECU - that, along with some freer flowing pipes is probably the easiest gain you can get. Or you can send ECU to a tuning pro like GuzziTech in California (not sure who to go to in Australia).

I rode a highly modified Scura (heads, pistons, exhaust, and who knows what else) recently. I could definitely tell the difference, especially on acceleration - but I understand the mods were extensive and expensive.

From what I can see, it's very hard to improve upon the stock airbox, but you can get some "mental horsepower" by removing the snorkels and/or expanding the intake tubes where the snorkels attach. Docc expanded his with a beer bottle (which must first be emptied  :food: ) and says he can also feel a performance improvement.

I agree about leaving it stock and enjoying it the way it is. I have two V11's, one has a Ti ECU with stock pipes and air box and I feel it is a strong running bike. My other V11 has an unknown map and it runs very well with a set of Staintune mufflers.

Mind you I'm used to riding Asian sport bikes and my other bike is a '14 FJR1300. Saying that I feel the V11's really punch above their weight class performance wise. Who would think an air-cooled two valve pushrod motor would pull and run as well as these things do!

• Like 1

I think the best things to do are: Stucchi crossover, Mistral mufflers and ECU remapping. 

The parts can be ordered online and you can send the ECU in to someone for remapping or get Guzzidiag and do it yourself, search the forums here. Or try Jefferies they are in Australia:  http://www.myecu.biz/MyECU/index.htm

These mods tend to take care of the chronic hiccups and mid-range performance issues and make the bike run much more smoothly with more tractable power.

I wouldn't touch the airbox or add K&N's or anything like that. The V11 is finicky and changing the intake seems to create more problems without any performance gains.

It may be that U.S. emissions at the time of manufacture required an ECU map that was not optimal. Not sure if this was the case in Australia. In any case, there has been enough experimentation on the V11 engine and ECU that you can benefit from.

When you are done with that then a better suspension is in  order.

It may be that U.S. emissions at the time of manufacture required an ECU map that was not optimal. Not sure if this was the case in Australia. In any case, there has been enough experimentation on the V11 engine and ECU that you can benefit from.

When you are done with that then a better suspension is in  order.

I read somewhere that the European emissions tests were done at 3,000 RPM - so they leaned 'em out around that RPM range to pass the tests.

I enjoy my Scura's superior suspension much more than I enjoy the slightly stronger (and noisier) engine on my LeMans (although the roar from the Ti pipes is addictive). These V11s are wonderful platforms to personalize - have fun. Think about starting with suspension adjustments (or upgrades) so you can more effectively use the power you currently have - or be ready for the extra power from your mods.

• Like 1

It's make me very happy modify my V11 to be faster. Open airbox without lid, open exhaust mufflers, milled twin spark heads with stock piston, Stucchi cross-over and many work on personaly ECU remapping via TunerPro + GuzziDiag/Reader/Writer.

It's make me very happy modify my V11 to be faster. Open airbox without lid, open exhaust mufflers, milled twin spark heads with stock piston, Stucchi cross-over and many work on personaly ECU remapping via TunerPro + GuzziDiag/Reader/Writer.

please gelos, let's see some photos!

• Like 2

Thanks for the tips. Last Guzzi I had, a Mille GT, made some incredible changes by adding pipes, carbs, larger valves, coils but the biggest gain was from lightening the flywheel. This single change was just day and night. There was 4.5kg taken off and it felt incredibly better in suspension, revs, engine braking.

I also recently built my ducati Cafe Racer and reduced the flywheel to 300grams, high compression pistons, remapped ECU with PC5. It feels unreal to ride, lightning throttle and wheelies.

So this is why I am asking, what mods are the best, Hi compression pistons, lightening the flywheel, ECU, i think it has pipes already (i havent seen the bike yet, its on the way, was a friends bike). Also he has pressurised his air box with some pipes from the front to the airbox on his Coppa Italia and previously  on this bike and reckons theres improvement with the colder air.(anyone else done this ?)_. .. I just want to try and get it right first time around. 

Nothing wrong with having your way with your new lady! Keep us posted on how it goes (maybe one of those newly-popular "Single Bike Project Threads?"

Otherwise, first things are first: add the canisters of your choice if they've not been changed yet, work through a couple complete tune-ups, get guzzidiag and zero your CO Fuel Trim(m). Set up your suspension, and go through the process of bringing the maintenance and charging system up to standard:

Tank Off Maintenance Checklist

Wheels off Maintenance Checklist

Hey, and "docc modded his airbox with a beer bottle" doesn't sound so terribly becoming. :blush::unsure:

It was actually several beer bottles, and the task was performed with great craft and art. :nerd::rasta:

It was actually several beer bottles, and the task was performed with great craft and art. :nerd::rasta:

He got better performance with more beer bottles.  Not sure how that worked... :huh2:

• Like 1