Tell me about my '01 V11 Sport

HRC_V4

I just replaced the one connector and all is right with the fuse box.  No more hot fuse.

The Arkansas/Missouri Road Kill and Construction tour is going good, about 1,000 miles of good roads and an excellent variety of road kill and construction.

A few more questions about my V11;

• I set the tps adjustment to spec. but at steady throttle I get a pop every now and then (once every 10 miles). and I am getting stumbling when it gets hot (100+ C).
  • Under heavy load below 4k rpm, I get something that sounds like spark knock, no really way to adjust timing, I am running 91-93 octane ethanol free gas.
  • During a "pass" yesterday, once I leveled off speeds, I got a slow wobble that the "passie" saw, speed was "high".

Any thoughts?

HRC- I found that setting my valves at the .006" intake and .008" exhaust cured the hiccup and occasional stumble. Also, have you removed and cleaned the low speed air fuel mixture screws in the throttle bodies. I removed mine during the tune up and found them both to be black and sooty. Cleaned them both and sprayed carb/throttle body cleaner up inside the T/B's. Re-installed and everything has been fine since.

"Under heavy load below 4K rpm" - I have found that these bikes although capable, really do not like to be lugged along at low rpm. Mine definitely likes to spin up in a lower gear.

High speed wobble- the 2000 and 2001 V-11 Sports had the first generation spine frames. In 2002-2004 Guzzi lengthened the spine and changed the rake/trail. I owned both an '00 and '02 and rode both one immediately after the other on the same road. The '02 felt much more planted and stable than the '00. Depending on your tire wear and steering dampener setting, this may have contributed to the wobble. Hope this helps

Jerry

I just replaced the one connector and all is right with the fuse box.  No more hot fuse.

The Arkansas/Missouri Road Kill and Construction tour is going good, about 1,000 miles of good roads and an excellent variety of road kill and construction.

A few more questions about my V11;

• I set the tps adjustment to spec. but at steady throttle I get a pop every now and then (once every 10 miles). and I am getting stumbling when it gets hot (100+ C).
  • Under heavy load below 4k rpm, I get something that sounds like spark knock, no really way to adjust timing, I am running 91-93 octane ethanol free gas.
  • During a "pass" yesterday, once I leveled off speeds, I got a slow wobble that the "passie" saw, speed was "high".

Any thoughts?

There are a whole series of things that will likely help the pop/stumble:

Start with a complete "Decent Tune Up"

Make sure all of your electrical connections and grounds are both clean and tight.

Inspect the spark plug leads as they leave the coils.

What type of Engine Temperature Sensor holder is fitted?

On the weave, it's true the early Sports are more prone, but the '02-'04 rake is not different - it is the frame that is longer and the subframes are braced.

Start here by "setting your sags." (A process of making sure your springs are right for your weight and the preloads are correct.) This cures so many suspension ills. Very likely your rear is too soft and/or sagging too much. You can try to increase preload and, perhaps, rear tire pressure. Many have also dropped the front triple clamps on the forks a bit (mine are down ~5mm).

Thanks all, I will go back and maybe tighten the valves a little, see if that helps.  I will also pull the idle mixture screws and clean them.  The rear shock may need to be looked at then, I have the luggage on there now.  But until that point, I was very impressed with the suspension, we have been running some good speeds over some less than smooth roads and it has been great, I am very confident with it.

I am running the oil dipstick temp gauge.

One of the simplest, most important things you should be certain of is your CO Fuel Trim. If it is in the negative double digits, nothing else you do will clear up the running issues. That, and being absolutely sure that the right throttle plate is completely closed when baselining the TPS.

These are detailed in the Decent Tune Up thread, but bear emphasis.

Let us know what you find!

+1 on the importance of setting suspension sag. A lesson I learned on this forum - but wish I had learned many years ago. If you can't adjust sag within specs, then you will benefit from new springs.

+1 on the importance of setting suspension sag. A lesson I learned on this forum - but wish I had learned many years ago. If you can't adjust sag within specs, then you will benefit from new springs.

Absolutely. Sag is the most important thing to get right. Without that, you're just whizzin in the wind. :rasta:

a search for set sag, or sag, with all options, comes up blank.

1. Someone please :huh2:  drag up that thread link for me.

2. teach me how to search this forum. :nerd:

3. is there an option to personally archive valuable threads on this forum?

4. thank you

Setting sag is not V11 specific, or even Guzzi specific.

It has been discussed on this board a fair bit. here is a link to one discussion.

and another

There is also plenty of info on setting sag elsewhere out on the interweb.

Note; all I did to get those two was to type "setting sag" in the search bar in the top right of the page.

4. thank you

2.  When you search, notice the little grey box inside the search box. If it says "this topic" your search is limited to the thread you're in. If it says "forums" you will search everything. You can click that box to change the breadth of your search. When my search yields nothing - it's usually because I was only searching the active topic, not the whole forum.

3. I paste some links into a Word document to save them for future reference. You can also click the "Follow this topic" button - then you can display a list of "topics I follow." You can also choose to be notified when posts are added to topics you follow. 

4. You're welcome.   :cheese:

4. thank you

2.  When you search, notice the little grey box inside the search box. If it says "this topic" your search is limited to the thread you're in. If it says "forums" you will search everything. You can click that box to change the breadth of your search. When my search yields nothing - it's usually because I was only searching the active topic, not the whole forum.

3. I paste some links into a Word document to save them for future reference. You can also click the "Follow this topic" button - then you can display a list of "topics I follow." You can also choose to be notified when posts are added to topics you follow. 

4. You're welcome.   :cheese:

Funny that 'setting sag' brings up a long list, and 'sag' and 'set sag' finds nothing. Yup, I choose 'forums' and still have a tough time. I guess it's just word play. I also follow topics I want. I'll do the same as you for saving tech info.

Setting sag is not V11 specific, or even Guzzi specific.

It has been discussed on this board a fair bit. here is a link to one discussion.

and another

There is also plenty of info on setting sag elsewhere out on the interweb.

Note; all I did to get those two was to type "setting sag" in the search bar in the top right of the page.

those are helpful thanks. there was another thread in the last year or two I recall a 'how to'. I should have saved it. Odd how 'sag' in the search finds nothing.

a search for set sag, or sag, with all options, comes up blank.

1. Someone please :huh2:  drag up that thread link for me.

4. thank you

1) I'm not sure we have a particularly *concise* suspension sag setting thread. There are some threads, but sit back for some extensive forum post surfing. :whistle:

> At some point, I saved this link, but haven't read it in a while:

http://web.archive.org/web/20091022090139/http://geocities.com/motoguzzi1064/GuzziFiles/SuspensionSetUp.htm

2) Search tutorial in "Motha of All V11 Forums":

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15944&p=195117

3) I routinely use my browser to "Bookmark" important reference threads.

4) Alstublieft!

• 3 weeks later...

OK, finally got the cables and time to play with it, CO Trim was set at 30, positive, I turned it back to 0, seems to be a little better, got dark so I did not ride too much, I will give it another ride later this week.

Arkansas was good, love the Guzzi suspension, the running issues was a little annoying, but did not hamper my fun.

A link to one ride, this was a cool down ride.  The time before I figured out the kick stand drags first in left handers.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I have done the whole tune-up again, plus I replaced the crank/cam sensor (slightly melted) and she is running a whole lot better, also put another turn in the pre-load, might be good with full bags, but a bit much for commuting.  But my issue now is she is hard to get started cold. She acts like she wants to start after a few revolutions, but any use of the high idle makes her less likely to start.  I end up having to crack the throttle manually to get her to fire and run, even then I might have to do it a couple of times to get her to stay running.  Once running she is fine.  Any thoughts one this?