Scura transmisson weirdness..

Chuck

Ok, let's pretend that you are a new guy that has never done this kind of thing. Like me. Maybe I can help get around some of the pitfalls that are lurking on this job. Reading the threads:

Box in NEUTRAL.

Detach shock reservoir from bracket.

Although you will be tempted to just take the two screws out of the reservoir bracket.. DON'T DO THAT. The bracket is held onto the pork chop bolt by an almost inaccessible nut. Get your M17 wrench and figure out a way to remove the bracket. More later..

Isolate battery.

Remove starter motor.

Detach neutral switch term.

Detach shift link from shaft.

You *did* remember to mark the location, right?  :oldgit: 

Drain gbox oil.

Remove 11 (5mm) socket cap bolts. Remove Selector cover plate (there's no gasket, goo holds pretty firm).

Sounds pretty simple. Notice that two of the bolts are a little longer. Hmmm, no amount of wiggling, prying, etc will move that selector cover plate. The two longer bolts are at the bottom center 

29009616365_68f4257dd2_c.jpg1-001 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

and the top right. That is where the dowels that locate the cover are. Get your special Guzzi tool, cleverly disguised as a screwdriver with a shallow angle ground on the tip, put it right at the split line by the bottom dowel and give it a rap with your copper hammer. Pop! the glue lets go. Then take two 1/4" diameter rods, put them in the top corner bolt holes..

28389855974_d5027ff8cc_c.jpg2-002 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

Squeeze, and you'll have a lever to wiggle the top off the dowel while the screwdriver does the bottom.

Oh, By the way.. I've read tales of doing this job on the side of the road. Not without this cut off allen wrench in your tool kit to access the bottom bolts.

28392532153_d66e5cff9f_c.jpg4-004 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

Remove 2 selector gears (retained by circlips) & mechanism, to access spring.

Ensure NEUTRAL in box (check spaces between sliding dogs & gears are equidistant) & in selector before replacing plate. Move the selector forks into the neutral position before replacing the side plate (rotate the rear wheel to confirm neutral - if the plate doesn't go on you've got a false neutral). Main thing is get box in neutral with selector forks equally spaced from sliding sleeves before putting the cover back on. Also, selector wheels in Neutral.

There's no gasket on cover. Use sealant/gasket cement. 

All this is true, but. You'll probably move them when you are trying to get the cover back on. The best way I could find is to start the bottom in first, then work the top around the hoses. Needless to say if you bump and move one of the dogs, the cover won't go back on.

Well, that was pretty easy. All you have to do is put the shock reservoir back on. You say you took the two screws off the bracket? 

May your soul find peace. This is one of Luigi's most diabolical pieces of afterthought engineering I've ever seen. Naturally  :rolleyes: there are no captured nuts, so you have to have fingers like an orangutan to get them started. Then.. you can't rotate the reservoir, so you have to give it your best shot, tighten the bracket bolts, 

28389845654_0be71cabc7_c.jpg5-006 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

Then you only have to install one nut that you can't see or get your fingers on.  :rasta: That is why I warned you right off the bat.  :D  After installing it and admiring your work.. you have to be **very** careful to make sure the reservoir line has no way of vibrating down and touching that big electrical wire to the starter (!!) It's very close, so make sure it has enough clearance. You don't want the battery exploding when you are putting down the road. It would more than likely ruin your day. :grin: 

28977017746_b7a9ce99da_c.jpg6-007 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

you notice that at full throttle, the balance knob just grazes the reservoir. (!!) If the throttle sticks, you just might die. I know one guy that did. Now, I get to mark the reservoir, take everything loose, move the bracket about 1/8" and do it all over.

So.

If you like the position of your shock reservoir, don't take those two screws loose.  :oldgit: Other than that, the job is a piece of cake.

• Like 2

I can see this thread making it to "How To . . ."

I mean, I don't see any hammers in the photos, but I heard Chuck say "hammer." :grin:

This morning, I took the front nut off, loosened the rear nut but didn't let it come off, took some big hunker channel locks and moved that sucker that 1/8". Now, I have about a quarter inch clearance between the balance knob and the power lead to the starter. Perfect.  :thumbsup: Luigi still sucks, though..

It's been raining off and on today..still.. but I just had to try it out. I'm fully aware that the natural tendency when you've done some wrenching or spent some money is to say it's better. 

It is.  :grin:

I'm *really* familiar with how this bike shifts. After all, I've ridden it 14000 miles, mostly in the California canyons, shifting pretty constantly. It has never been this good. Period. Props to Lucky Phil.  :thumbsup:

I set my riding gear out to dry and called it done.

This morning, I took the front nut off, loosened the rear nut but didn't let it come off, took some big hunker channel locks and moved that sucker that 1/8". Now, I have about a quarter inch clearance between the balance knob and the power lead to the starter. Perfect.  :thumbsup: Luigi still sucks, though..

It's been raining off and on today..still.. but I just had to try it out. I'm fully aware that the natural tendency when you've done some wrenching or spent some money is to say it's better. 

I'm *really* familiar with how this bike shifts. After all, I've ridden it 14000 miles, mostly in the California canyons, shifting pretty constantly. It has never been this good. Period. Props to Lucky Phil.  :thumbsup:

Excellent work Chuck. Try the shift lever arm extension mod ( I mean its an hours work to a bloke with your skills and equipment) and it will be another giant leap in performance.

Ciao

Something else that you guys might want to consider while messing around down there is welding a nut to the back of the shock reservoir bracket for the bolt that comes through the pork chop.  IMO it should have come from the factory that way.  I had it done a few years ago after having a hard time getting a wrench on that nut so now it takes me about 10 seconds to move the reservoir out of the way for access to the clutch bleeder or starter connections.

Excellent work Chuck. Try the shift lever arm extension mod ( I mean its an hours work to a bloke with your skills and equipment) and it will be another giant leap in performance.

Ciao

Thanks Phil, maybe this Winter. I'm perfectly happy with the way it shifts now.  :grin:

Something else that you guys might want to consider while messing around down there is welding a nut to the back of the shock reservoir bracket for the bolt that comes through the pork chop.  IMO it should have come from the factory that way.  I had it done a few years ago after having a hard time getting a wrench on that nut so now it takes me about 10 seconds to move the reservoir out of the way for access to the clutch bleeder or starter connections.

Absolutely. That was part of my rant on this job. Guzzi is bad about service accessibility. It was going to be hard to get to that bracket nut, so I mistakenly took off the two small screws to get the reservoir out. It's harder to get to that back nut than the bracket nut. Really, all three should be captured nuts. I'll fix that the next time I have it off. 

Ciao

Thanks Phil, maybe this Winter. I'm perfectly happy with the way it shifts now.  :grin:

I've been thinking about this. My CNC mill is tied up for the foreseeable future with a production job, but if there's enough interest, I could knock some out. :huh2:  We could call it the "Lucky Phil Extension mod.."

• Like 2

Ciao

I've been thinking about this. My CNC mill is tied up for the foreseeable future with a production job, but if there's enough interest, I could knock some out. :huh2:  We could call it the "Lucky Phil Extension mod.."

Great Chuck, my future fame is in your hands :grin: 

Australian-designed parts make small things bigger and improve lubrication.

• Lucky-Phil extension
  • Roper Plate

I'll take 2 extensions and call the Docc if I can ride for more than 8 hours.

New thread for Chuck-Phil-A to keep track?

Australian-designed parts make small things bigger and improve lubrication.

• Lucky-Phil extension
  • Roper Plate

I'll take 2 extensions and call the Docc if I can ride for more than 8 hours.

New thread for Chuck-Phil-A to keep track?

Wait wait.. Like I said, the mill is tied up for a while.  But... at my age I could use an extension.  B) I'll get to it as soon as I can.  :oldgit:

I'm in no hurry. I waited a year for my RAM clutch... but if you are serious about making them, and if I can pay something to you and Phil, count me in.