Does size matter?

FreyZI

Hey, all.  I fell in love with a Tenni 15 years ago, before I'd ever ridden a motorcycle.  Inspired to ride, but without the bank account for a new Tenni -- or much of anything, for that matter -- I settled on a Yamaha XS 750.  After a decade plus of student loans and leaner wallet, I've been able to start filling my stable with bikes (other than UJM):  BMW R1200R, R1100RL hack, K100 cafe project, Guzzi V1000 G5 restoration.  Although I'd really prefer the Tenni, there's an affordable, one-owner (with service history) 2003 LeMans available for my purchase.  Maybe it can be a temporary fix until I find a Tenni.  So, the question:  Will this bike fit me?  I'm about 6'-5", normally proportioned (I'd like to think), 34" inseam.  Are the cylinder heads/valve covers going to be a non-issue, a mere nuisance, or a deal-breaker?  Unfortunately, I live in BFE Pennsylvania and these bikes don't come up for sale regularly, so I've never sat on one; I'll have to buy this one at a fairly long arm's length.

Thanks for any input!

Cheers,

Frey

5'11" with a 32" inseam. Fits me like a glove. The guy I bought my Lemans from was quite tall (6'5" or so) never saw him ride it but I imagine it fit him. Swing a leg over and see.

Check out Cycleergos.com might help you out too.

You can fit proper handlebars and adjustable pegs are available too.

I shouldn't think of it as an uncomfortable bike but the peg/seat distance is poss on the short side? Whilst conversely it is a stretch to the (clipon) bars.

How do other members, who might suffer with knee, wrist and lower back problems, fare on the v11?

5'11" with a 32" inseam. Fits me like a glove. The guy I bought my Lemans from was quite tall (6'5" or so) never saw him ride it but I imagine it fit him. Swing a leg over and see.

Check out Cycleergos.com might help you out too.

Thanks,czakky and stewgnu. I did check out cycle-ergos.com (note the dash in the URL). While I was at it, I checked out my other bikes. Seems about right for the R12r. Appears that knees would be alright as long as not sitting as close as possible to the fuel tank, but it will be a bit more of bend to the bars than I'm used to.

Of course, customized pegs and bar solutions could increase comfort. My daily commute is only about 10km each way. Longer rides are less frequent and touring is non-existent, given parental responsibilities.

Cheers,

Frey

I like riding my Sport for short distances.  But I have to get off after an hour or so to stretch my legs.  The bars are fine.  

I can go further on curvy roads but an hour on the interstate and I need to get off.  Man, I road that thing from OKC to the Spineframe rally a few years ago.  I took secondary highways to get there but ride from Nashville to home down I-40 was a tough ride.  

I am 6'1" and installing Knight Design 1" lowering footpegs helped my knees and hips considerably. Worth trying.

http://www.knightdesignllc.com

Honestly, you'll have to put in some time on it to know for sure how you'll be affected. More directly, you're a good size for this bike, but depending on your personal comfort needs. If you were small of stature, I'd say the LM is somewhat of a reach to the bars. If you're not used to clip-ons, your arms and neck will get sore until you are.

The Tenni was my first sport style bike. Like you, I could not resist it. Coming from an upright riding position, my 'cruiser' buddies would remark regarding the sporting ergos, "man, that looks uncomfortable", and the old "monkey f@@king a football" comparisons. When it comes to my body, any riding position for an extended time makes something on me sore. When I toured upright, my back hurt and I leaned forward, ala crotch rocket, to get relief. Touring leaned forward caused neck pain and I would periodically sit up for relief. (as you will see many sport riders do)

The LM, for me (6'0"-175#), is a perfect combo of sport and standard. The fairing creates an envelope, at the speeds I like to ride, which allows me a fairly comfortable, lengthy ride. All the while, the bike emitting the Guzzi stuff that makes the universe complete. Any bike you love can be made to "fit" IMO. In case you didn't know, fit wise, the stock 03 LM has the same ergos as the Tenni. Trying it on for size may be helpful.

If you are referring to the heads as potentially fowling your knees, they do not. Our tallest members may have a comment. My good friend (6'3") rode mine and his only complaint was knees. His are going bad. That can be fixed with previously suggested foot peg lowering brackets.

I've mentioned this before, but I had the same sort of issues. The problem wasn't really the bike, it was my lack of core strength. I had my last Ducati, an ST2, and had wrist and neck pain to the point that I took a beating and sold it. I was just a mere youth then in my late 50s. I *thought* I was in pretty good physical condition for an old fart. A personal trainer thought otherwise, and said my core strength sucked. After he got through with (nearly killing)  :) me, I've been back on sport bikes ever since. The Lario is most comfortable, and is my touring bike, but I have done long stints on the Mighty Scura without issue.

• Like 1

Well this gives me another reason I can't continue to ignore the rowing machine I bought off a friend a few weeks ago.