Whats this clamp called ?

nobleswood

"Oetiker clamps" . . . I've always hated those things. :bbblll:

That motor looks rather un-V11-like . . . :huh2:

The tiny glimpse of the frame is Griso-exque . . . ;)

"Oetiker clamps" . . . I've always hated those things. :bbblll:ME TOO!

That motor looks rather un-V11-like . . . :huh2:

The tiny glimpse of the frame is Griso-exque . . . ;)

I was thinking Norge or something newer than a V11..

• On this subject..... What IS the best hose clamp. In some instances I use the typical 3 prong spring clamp. They don't always provide confidence inspiring security. For more secure connections I use the common screw clamp. They have a tendency to cut into the hose. Then there is the bent wire/bolt nut clamp. Hard to find in good sizes and even then are bulky. I've often thought of using those factory one time clamps, but never end up researching the process.
  • I wonder what airplane builders use??? :unsure:

To remove, just cut the raised section with a dremel cut-off wheel - then it will release. That looks like a low-pressure, oil breather line. So any clamp should do.

It's the R H cylinder to the Griso. I had a relaxing afternoon getting to know her better, undoing panels, trying to tighten up sections. Looking to see what the previous owners had changed.

Curiously, like my V11, there is a weep /leak on the LH of the front of the engine at the timing cover. Other than that everything appears tight.

Many of the fuel & breather hoses have been replaced, the one in the picture is an exception. Which I'll sort out soon. I had taken those clamps apart before but couldn't reassemble them which I'd assumed was because I didn't have the specialized crimping tool. I guess that isn't the case. Somewhere I read that the BMW hose clamps don't 'cut' into the rubber as much as screw clamps. Anyone confirm this ?

At the moment I'm still looking & trying to see where all the parts & hoses go. Obviously having a V11 helps a lot but there are still many unknowns. I have the owners manual & a service manual but there are sections not covered at all, like getting to & greasing the swinging arm bearings.

It seems parts of the vapor recovery system have been removed like many V11's.

Reading / lurking on Grisoghetto is helping identify many of these jigsaw puzzle pieces. But as yet I'm waiting on 'registration' from the admin guys so I can't see the pictures !

It seems the PO had adjusted the suspension, forks are up 6 notches above the top brace, the rear preload has the Spring compressed about 3/4 of it's adjustment. I haven't figured out where the damping settings are adjusted to yet.

The tyres, Michelin pilot 4's, are months old and have a couple of hundred miles on them.

All in all I'm pleased with the purchase, no buyers remorse and am looking forward to the Spring. Although the idea of cleaning all the spokes on the wheels ! What was I thinking!

• On this subject..... What IS the best hose clamp. In some instances I use the typical 3 prong spring clamp. They don't always provide confidence inspiring security. For more secure connections I use the common screw clamp. They have a tendency to cut into the hose. Then there is the bent wire/bolt nut clamp. Hard to find in good sizes and even then are bulky. I've often thought of using those factory one time clamps, but never end up researching the process.
  • I wonder what airplane builders use??? :unsure:

If it matters.. most hoses do.. :) AN fittings. There are aircraft screw clamps for breather lines, etc. though. They are a little better quality than the Chinese screw clamps you get at the zone.. :rasta:

I can confirm that the hose clamps on my BMW K75s are much nicer than ones "you get at the zone." The bands have threads pressed into them - not cut. You can find them if you look - ABA makes them, and probably the AN brand that Chuck mentioned does too.

Curiously, like my V11, there is a weep /leak on the LH of the front of the engine at the timing cover. Other than that everything appears tight.

Cam/timing sensor could use a fresh #112 O-ring?

Timing sensor looks like this on a V11:

post-328-12834542744166_thumb.jpg

#112 O-ring visible below:

post-328-12838072988887_thumb.jpg

Common oil leak ahead of the left cylinder base just aft of the timing cover seam.

• Like 1