Hey Guys, just wanted to reflect on how your life can change drastically over night, or in an instance for that matter.  You may think,as I did, that life is going OK despite the many difficulties we all face. I had some nice bikes and other toys I acquired, despite not really affording them...some have probably been there.I have not been on the site much in the last few years, as my priorities have changed somewhat you might say.I don't want to bum everyone but,a few things have happened;2016..   step-daughter passed ,cancer, Dad passed away. Spent new years 2016 in hospital stage 4 cancer tumour removed,,,, thought I'd take my Ducati out this spring and had my 1st crash...write off and buggered my foot up. A week later my wife had a massive stroke and was in the hospital for 3 months. She is still messed up and has been back and forth to the hospital with seizures, and shortness of breath etc....New Years 2017 spent in the hospital again. Not exactly good conditions for healing cancer..   Now my priorities are doing a will and trying to liquidate what I can.. All the bikes and parts are up for sale.   Talk about life's a bitch and then you die! Anyhow I am not looking for sympathy, ...GET A COLONOSCOPY WHEN  YOU ARE 50.Don't be stupid like me and wait till it's too late. 1 in 2 or 3 people over the age of 50 are diagnosed with cancer nowadays, up from 1 in 20 100 years ago.Talk about population control...what a system,  Anyhow just wanted to say thanks to this site and it's members...ENJOY EVERDAY AND LOVE ONE ANOTHER...CHEERS! Doug.

• Like 1

Doug,

We have confronted several "tragedies of mortality" in the past several months, so, while hardly ourselves (yet) in your situation, we have been close enough to at least try to understand at a "spectator" level what you are experiencing.

Everyone asks -- and I very much believe they mean it; we certainly do -- if there might be something we may do to help.

Ask. If we can, we will.

We may also know someone who can.

At a minimum, let me assure you that, as paltry as it sounds, we all care and want the best for you. I have had several colonoscopies and will continue that. Thanks for the reminder. I am due this year.

Please keep us posted on your situation.

Bill & Kathi Hagan

• Like 1

ENJOY EVERYDAY AND LOVE ONE ANOTHER...CHEERS! Doug.

Tough times makes us think about what really matters. Thanks for the reminder.

I'm also due for a colonoscopy. And plan to participate in next year's Distinguished Gentlemen's Ride, which raises money for prostate cancer research.

+1 on the colonoscopy.  Right now I am on an annual cycle.   I need to tell me sons to get them started at 40, not 50.  

Best to you and your family.  And thanks for the helpful advice.  

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes, people ask me why I'm smiling all the time.

Trust me.

When you've had an extended chat with the Grim Reaper hanging in the straps while the cutter is doing his thing..

"Oh, wrong spelling of your name. Sorry,didn't mean to startle you. Have a nice day." My bad. "

Trust me, every day *is* a gift.

;)

I just had a vein break in my left (dominant) eye.  This happened around New Year's.  I was at the gym and perhaps went at it too much and saw flashes.  The flashes didn't go away and then my vision blurred.  I got referred from one Doc to another.  Somehow between seeing 4 doctors or exams, it started to get better.  The last Doc was somewhat amazed.  Said he didn't need to use lasers and needles on me.

Really know very little.  But am OK. 20/25 (with glasses) but see a few spots.

I haven't contributed here in a while, haven't been able to ride for the last couple seasons, so I live my life vicariously through you guys. Had to sell my bike due to $$$ needs for wife's health followed by me pulling my right bicep off the elbow. Luckily, during pre-operative testing they found a bigger issue, beginning for me what will hopefully be the worst week of my life.

Monday- I am diagnosed with an aggressive, terminal blood cancer, in 3rd stage. I have no noticeable symptoms...THIS CANNOT BE RIGHT...Average life expectancy 2-7 more years IF FOUND IN THE FIRST STAGE. Now THAT'S a kick in the balls...

Tuesday- My company's founder died. Now his kids, who aren't 1st hand knowledgeable about our work, own it.

Thursday- My Dad dies unexpectedly....WTF!?! And of course, he heard my diagnosis, that still kills me.

Saturday-Sunday- wife's continuing health issues put her in hospital, it will turn into surgery.

I just turned 53 this December. I have 14 and 11 year old kids with needs, graduations, weddings, etc...Everyone around me is moving to floorboard effin' cruisers, I want clip ons, pegs, screw your 700 lb land yacht! I can still camp weekends with a tank bag, sleep wherever, I'm too young for this shit...

BUT, we live in an amazing time. Well into our last century, simple infections killed many commonly. NOW, The DNA/genome project has led to me getting drugs, specific to MY cancer, for the first time in mankind's history. Two weeks from today, I "bubble boy it" for the second time for an autologous (I provide my own) stem cell transplant. My wife continues to deal with her issues/recuperation, like a real trooper. I'd rather have what I have then to deal w/ her day to day struggles.

SO...It seems obvious. It is said so often it almost becomes perfunctory, blasé. And every tragedy has it's own unique obstacles...

Stay strong, ask for and accept help, Pray, and NEVER QUIT FIGHTING.

Best of luck for you, and everyone of us who prove daily that getting old ain't for sissies. Me, I don't count on luck, I pray a lot, and try to live by this mantra,

"I never heard of Multiple Myeloma before, but it never met ME, either. We go in a room for a few weeks together. I walk out, ALONE."

Hope to meet any and all of you out riding sometime in the foreseeable future, S.H.

• Like 2