clutch slave

andy york

Lastly, you're confidence in your square seal... as advised several times... put it back together with the old seal... see what happens.  My suspicion, since there was no leaking visible, is that it'll probably be ok.:

I agree that this is worth a try. It has worked for me with a Bitubo steering damper. It was leaky and not working, so I pulled it apart, cleaned it, and reassembled it with the old seals and ATF fluid. It still works without leaks a year later.

Slightly off topic, I confess to getting somewhat confused with the differences between Dot 4, 5 and 5.1 brake fluids.

As I understand it Dot 4 and Dot 5.1 are both glycol based and can be mixed whereas Dot 5 is a silicon fluid which cannot. Why on earth did they choose the Dot 5.1 classification, surely Dot 4.1 would have been better avoiding any confusion with the Dot 5 silicon fluid.

Like you Motowfo, I use silicon Dot 5 fluid, I merely mentioned the Norton IoM teams experience as an anecdote.

Perhaps I'll just have a few pints of Ringwood Best then pee in the reservoir and used an alcohol based fluid.

• Like 1

Introducing beer to the discussion is certainly helping to stave off my creeping discouragement in the whole affair. :bier:

• Like 1

Next time the clutch is blocked, open the bleeder as a check whether the line/ the master is blocked.

I haven't seen the rubber parts of your damaged master, in case they were damaged,too, perhaps small particles went down the line and now are blocking something. Perhaps...

Hey, that reminds me of something. I had a dragging brake on my truck. The problem turned out to be in the brake line. A little flap had developed inside the line, just enough to act like a one-way valve. Replaced the flexible lines with new stainless and the drag went away.

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. 

I have to admit to feeling pretty bummed at the Sport being down and no visible progress in sight. :mellow:

I try to take heart in the words of Thomas Edison,

thomasaedison132683.jpg

As luhbo has pointed out, the chance the slave is my problem is dubious at best. Whether we can source a replacement for the NLA Grimeca V11 slave cylinder, or rebuild seals, remains to be seen. I've exhausted my resources in that regard.

More likely, one or more of my clutch discs have failed.  Well, nuts.

Just send an e-mail to info@grimeca.it

If you click the UK flag, the website changes to English.

Seriously, y'all?

No one in the entire world can source an EPDM 3mm square section O-ring seal (30mm ID)?

http://www.hitechseals.com/products/O-Rings-met.asp

PN 30031 is 3mm x 30mm ID. Context of the listing leads me to believe a square section/EPDM could be available.  

I reckon you love this misery.. Way back when in this thread, I gave you the most valuable information.

I have TWO of these things. One is brand new and the other is used. 

Would you like either one or both? I'm thinking you could at least you could diagnose the problem.

if not, I will crawl back under my rock  :ninja:

• Like 1

anyone found replacement seals for the Grimco slave cylinder 

on the back of the tranny?

andy

Short answer? nope. I can't be sure of the measurements or shape.

I reckon you love this misery.. Way back when in this thread, I gave you the most valuable information.

I have TWO of these things. One is brand new and the other is used. 

Would you like either one or both? I'm thinking you could at least you could diagnose the problem.

if not, I will crawl back under my rock  :ninja:

Thanks, man. It's just I've lost confidence that this is the actual problem.  Time to steel myself to the clutch inspection. If it checks out, I'll take you up on the offer!

Thanks, again, to everyone for the discussion. I really don't think my measurements are valid on the seals.

Come on, Docc, it's a very typical Guzzi thing that you're going through at the moment. It's all about the game and how you play it ;)

BTW, I'm totaly sure that the original quote was "Guzzi, making riders to mechanics" or so, the 'electricians' was just a later rip-off.

The Good Guzzi Fairy has surprised me with a pair of clutch slaves to consider. I suppose I'll inspect the seals in the new one and see if the shape and measurements make sense. Then install the used one and give it a go . . .

You don't need (or want) measurements from the seal.

Measure the OD of the piston.  That's the ID of the seal

Measure the depth of the gap in the cylinder the ring sits in.  That, plus the piston OD is the OD of the seal.

Measure the height of the gap. That is the height of the seal.

I thought I read that the piston was 30mm OD.  I checked and a lot of single pot brakes are also 30mm pistons.  Lots of seals for brakes available, one of them likely to match this application.

• Like 1