HOW CAN I DETERMINE HOW MANY MILES ARE ON MY BIKE?

barnett468

I just bought a 2001 Jackal that has 8,900 miles on the odometer . Since it does not read miles in 100,000 I don't know if it has 8,900 or 108900 or 208900 etc so I was wondering the following:

Is the actual mileage recorded in the computer?

If so, can it be read somehow?

Is there any other site like carfax that is for bikes that might have the mileage and/or service history etc?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Good lord man, it's too early to be yelling like that....

Seriously though, the answer to your question(s) is no. The good news is you've got a ruggedly built Italian workhorse that if taken care of doesn't care how many miles are on it!

Congrats. Welcome!

Like Chuck said, look for wear. The footpegs and foot levers (if original) don't lie. Are they polished from many miles of wear - shifting and braking? If yes... lots of miles, if no... believe the odometer.

On the V11s, and I assume the same for the Jackal, there are many dabs of yellow paint where things were "set" at the factory. If the dabs of yellow paint are undisturbed, that's another low-mileage clue.

A bit of tactful questioning of the p/o can produce a lot of info. If there is a local Guzzi shop you can try running the vin past them and see what comes up. I did it with a Ducati I was looking at. I did it with a Harley I bought.. I just called each dealer till I found the one he used. I purchased a used car and going by the Jiffy Lube sticker on the windshield, and the p/o's last name, and the vin, they gave me the oil change history with mileage.

In my experience, a bike with over 100,000 miles has had a lot of tire changes and that tends to show on the rims.

A bike with only 8,900 miles may have only had a single rear change and could feasibly have its original front. Look at the tire date codes (the four numbers at the end of the "DOT" stamping).

How old are the tires?

Just run the VIN number with any VIN service available on the internet. Or even with license plate.

You will see previous miles at oil changes, owner changes, state inspections, dealer service etc...

Will cost you about 20-30 bucks.