lubing uj joints

Yam350

Working through a service on my 2002 lemans and i'm having  bit of trouble getting my grease gun onto the nipples on the uj joints. I'm assuming that as Guzzi have gone to the trouble of fitting grease nipples then it stands to reason that they are accessible! I'd be grateful if anyone could enlighten me...................is it possible without dismantling, and if so what kind of fittng/grease gun is required.

Some have had luck grinding down the nose of the grease gun fitting and using a flexible hose coupling to get on the front U-joint. Others have used a grease "needle" of the type used to perforate seals to get into that front Zerk.

Best of luck! Get ready for your vocabulary to double! :grin:

I do mine with the rear off and shaft separated. Apparently, some V11 are harder than others, the worst are probably the early RedFrames and Rossi Mandello.

I've done it by a simple bent 1/8" pipe the grease fitting was screwed on to. Seems like I learned how to do it here.  :rolleyes:  I'm guessing a search will find it. I'll go out in the Guzzi Garage ™ and see if I still have it, or took it out to SoCal where I no longer need it.  :homer:

After taking out the lower bolt of the spring and turning the ui joint to an upward position I was able to use a flexible hose. I didn't take the wheel out.