Fairing Options

swooshdave

As mentioned I got it from one of the forum members. It's got a scratch on the left side and the screen needs a good polishing but I'm happy!

cc379950db115a4d4d0bcd68bc92897b.jpg

There were what looking like water marks or something on the screen. Along with some very light scratching. I hit it with some plastic polish and it looks almost new! So much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

When I got my Ballabio it had a Laminar Lip attached to it.  Lots of wind noise with the air blast just below mid helmet height.  I've since tried it w/o  -- no improvement - and with a MRS sport wing which is adjusted to nearly horizontal to direct the air flow to about the bottom of my helmet.   Still more wind noise that I can tolerate for more than an hour or so with ear plugs.   Do any of you know if there are other windscreen alternatives that will fit the Ballabio/Scura/Capo Italia fairing?

When I got my Ballabio it had a Laminar Lip attached to it.  Lots of wind noise with the air blast just below mid helmet height.  I've since tried it w/o  -- no improvement - and with a MRS sport wing which is adjusted to nearly horizontal to direct the air flow to about the bottom of my helmet.   Still more wind noise that I can tolerate for more than an hour or so with ear plugs.   Do any of you know if there are other windscreen alternatives that will fit the Ballabio/Scura/Capo Italia fairing?

I have found that of the many ways to divert air with a windscreen or fairing, most usually create more turbulence than I like. That's what wears me out...buffeting. Truthfully, I'd rather have full direct wind than buffeting. The LeMans is a rare one in that, it's just right. I still get direct wind on the upper helmet, so there's no turbulence. The main body of the fairing carries away the rest. I'd recommend further experimenting with "lips" and the like. It doesn't take much to get a sweet spot. I had the MRA adjustable on my BMW and it was better when in the low to mid position, and terrible on full up. Try just a small length of tubing, split at the side, and push it on so it fits round the edge of the stock screen.

Noise-wise... If you use a modular helmet(?) it will be noisy.

Footgoose,

Over the years I've had the best luck with Madstad and MRA systems.   I'm not getting buffeting, just wind noise. However, you're right about my helmet - a Shoei Neotech modular.   The only non modular I have is a dirt bike helmet which does have a full closing shield -- I'll give that a try.

004bcf9cf9d3a1d33745c4437d321dd3.jpg

First ride with fairing. It seemed noisier. It might be because I'm going faster with the fairing. There is definitely a huge reduction of wind on my chest.

Once I got some ear plugs in there was a lot less noise that what I recalled from when the fairing wasn't on.

That fairing looks very nice!!!!

Yeah, the Greenie does too ;-) !!

I have found that of the many ways to divert air Try just a small length of tubing, split at the side, and push it on so it fits round the edge of the stock screen.

Did the Scura fairing come with something on the lip of the fairing from the factory?

I have found that of the many ways to divert air Try just a small length of tubing, split at the side, and push it on so it fits round the edge of the stock screen.

Did the Scura fairing come with something on the lip of the fairing from the factory?

It probably did come with the tubing. The LeMans did. Some makes have an "edge" molded into the screen. It would be cool to see wind tunnel results from various screen designs.

I had a HD Road Glide once with a full fixed fairing. It was not at all noisy behind that. Very little wind, but still some turbulence at the top of the head. I cut the windscreen down a few inches and it was just right. A bit more wind, but less buffeting.

The Ballabio screen had black edge material that I had to remove to fit the MRA Sport Wing.   I didn't notice any difference with the edge material on or off.  Saeng edge material might help in some circumstances.  I used it on a taller windscreen on a SPIII.  It raised the airflow about an inch -- a lot of money for just a bit of improvement..

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...