Titanium V11

swooshdave

I didn't see any posts for either titanium or the builder's name.

http://thebikeshed.cc/2017/05/04/paul-milbourn-customs-moto-guzzi-titanium/

Paul-Milborne-Moto-Guzzi-5-of-23.jpg

Paul-Milborne-Moto-Guzzi-16-of-23.jpg

Superleggera isn’t a term that even the most patriotic and loyal Moto Guzzi employee would have been able to use to describe even the racier versions of their old V11. It’s the character and charm at the heart of this heavy old Hector that appealed to many though, including Paul Milbourn. Paul has form when it comes to completely over engineering bikes. He’s the sort of chap I admire, eminently skilful with a distinct lack of self questioning.

155kg WET. 340lbs... I though the powertrain alone weighed that much!  :ninja:

This guy is bonkers brilliant.

• Like 3

Wow - thanks for posting the link to the article too.

The biggest weight savings are probably due to the titanium spine frame, the exhaust, and the wheels. Can you imaging making a chain drive Ducati 1098 rear wheel fit the stock Guzzi final drive?

Even being titanium it has to weigh more than 340lbs.. But thats my pesky skepticism talking. But if all that bodywork is made of titanium this guy is a total jedi master in the fab shop.

Wow - thanks for posting the link to the article too.

The biggest weight savings are probably due to the titanium spine frame, the exhaust, and the wheels. Can you imaging making a chain drive Ducati 1098 rear wheel fit the stock Guzzi final drive?

What does the stock spine frame weigh?

Even being titanium it has to weigh more than 340lbs.. But thats my pesky skepticism talking. But if all that bodywork is made of titanium this guy is a total jedi master in the fab shop.

Bodywork is aluminum.

I had the crumpled frame from my parts bike in my hands, but didn't weigh it (and it's too late, because it's already gone to the recycle yard).  I estimate about 30 pounds of steel. Then there are three (front, lower, and tail) steel sub-frame assemblies, which are quite heavy. And is the custom swingarm titanium too? The steel swingarms are heavy.

How else to lighten it?  no headlight, no turn signals, no mirrors, no tools, no airbox or filter, minimal wiring (carbs, not fuel injected), probably a lithium battery, no padding on the seat, no pillion seat or pegs... the weight of the missing stuff adds up pretty fast.

How else to lighten it?  no headlight, no turn signals, no mirrors, no tools, no airbox or filter, minimal wiring (carbs, not fuel injected), probably a lithium battery, no padding on the seat, no pillion seat or pegs... the weight of the missing stuff adds up pretty fast.

Ditch those pesky relays . . . ;)

I think it has a headlight, LED. Might be some hidden turn signals too.

Stock mufflers are crazy heavy, along with the wheels.

30lbs for a frame is reasonable although you could trim that down a bit.

Especially that rear subframe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are those Frame Stilettos titanium?

I love my cast RedStilettos, but titanio would be oh-so-tempting!

Are those Frame Stilettos titanium?

You mean the porkchops? Stilettos sounds more "attractive."

I looked at those too. At first I thought they were from a Sport (like a 1996 or so), because of the big hole. But on closer look I think they are the original cast part with the hole cut out and the balance of the casting also smoothed. Probably shaved another 6 ounces there...

I like the red on your sliver sport Docc. I wouldn't change it. I wouldn't even put black ones on my Scura.

Owing that *we*, of V11LeMans.com, are The World's Foremost Experts on the V11 series of Moto Guzzi, I hereby propose that the "frame side plates" that have been referred to by the ill-coined and disparaging moniker "porkchop" :bbblll:  forever be designated *stilettos*. :food:

Exhibit A:

gallery_328_223_71000.png

• Like 1

Very interesting observation, Scud,  that the stilettos on the "Titanium" custom are *retro* milled cast pieces in homage to the earliest CNC designs.

Credit where credit is due! :mg:

• Like 1