Starting issue

voycie

Not sure if this is a common issue, but ive noticed a few occassions where I go to start my '03 lemans and i just hear the click of the starter solenoid but starter motor doesnt turn... almost like the battery is flat, however, a few more presses and it does fire up (battery is fully charged). Perhaps the issue is a connection at the starter motor... since the solenoid is working that would imply the problem is further down the line. I was thinking of cleaning up the starter motor contacts.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Yeah I agree with Steve. Pull the starter and clean the solenoid so there is no grease on it, Put a couple drops of 3 in 1 oil on the 2 surfaces and reassemble. I had a similar issue with my bike and that fixed it.

Are you sure it's the starter solenoid, not just the relay as in Startus Interuptus?

You can always check the starter with a hot wire the solenoid from the solenoid trigger terminal to battery positive bypassing the Ignition switch and other wiring. Bike in neutral of course!

You might check (or upgrade) your relays first. I solved a problem with the exact same symptoms simply by upgrading to Omron relays.

The relays are a standard format used by many autos. Clean your ignition switch if you haven't done that in 5 years, lube with Vaseline

Sent from my shoe phone!

• Like 1

On the later VII the solenoid current passes through the switch that severely restricts the solenoid's ability to draw the starter into mesh.

I did a test on an EV with a clean switch bypassing the switch halved the time to engage

Sent from my shoe phone!

God point (Kiwi_Roy always makes good points :thumbsup: ) that the start wiring changed on the V11 series.

voicie, how about going to your profile and filling in your year/ model V11 and a location?

You might check (or upgrade) your relays first. I solved a problem with the exact same symptoms simply by upgrading to Omron relays.

God point (Kiwi_Roy always makes good points :thumbsup: ) that the start wiring changed on the V11 series.

voicie, how about going to your profile and filling in your year/ model V11 and a location?

The problem I experienced and solved was on a 2003 LeMans. Same as voicie's bike (per opening post). I think the real culprit may have been a loose-fitting relay base. I squeezed the pins on the relay to compensate. Flawless starts since then.

We need a better "new owner and forum member's checklist" otherwise known as "what you will get yelled at first about".

1. F'n Relays - docc

2. Winkie light - Kiwi_Roy

3. Why didn't you listen to the first two guys - Scud

Something like that.

Seems the first thing K'Roy would say is something about scraping your battery terminals shiny and Vaseline®.  :thumbsup: