Where does it go?

Amarrache

Pulled of the tank (what a pain in the ass) to replace the fuel and air filters. There are two nipples on the underside of the tank. Just the left one (when sitting on the bike) was connected to a hose (see first image). After I got the tank completely off, I saw a hose weaved from the back of the bike (see second image) that is a much heavier gauge just kind of lying there. What does it connect to? It doesn't seem that it would connect to the right nipple under the tank?

Also, is there anything supposed to be connected to these two outlets under the air box (third image)?

Forum1.jpg

Forum2.jpg

Forum3.jpg

Welcome to the forum! I can't really tell what/where in those pics. if it terminates at the back of the tranny towards the road, and is connected to nothing, then the other end attaches to the underside of the fuel tank. it's the gas overflow

#3: those are the airbox drains, so stay open.

The two nipples can be connected together and drained below, behind the engine. One (left) is the tank overflow (fuel overfill drain).  

The other (right) is the tank vapor vent. At one time, it would have been plumbed through charcoal canisters, each intake, and a pair of drains behind the gearbox. I pulled twenty feet of 1/2 fuel line out of my Sport.

No, really: twenty feet!

Thanks guys, both those hoses do thread down behind the engine to the ground. I don't understand though why the gauge of the tank vapor vent (right) hose is so much thicker. Appreciate the thread on Tank Off Maintenance.

A couple more questions please and forgive my ignorance, what is this (first image) that was up in the tank (left side) and the thing in the second image that is under the rear of the tank on the right side?

Finally, am I correct that both the gearbox and final drive box use 80/90 gearbox oil?

Forum4.jpg

Forum5.jpg

Thanks guys, both those hoses do thread down behind the engine to the ground. I don't understand though why the gauge of the tank vapor vent (right) hose is so much thicker. Appreciate the thread on Tank Off Maintenance.

A couple more questions please and forgive my ignorance, what is this (first image) that was up in the tank (left side) and the thing in the second image that is under the rear of the tank on the right side?

Finally, am I correct that both the gearbox and final drive box use 80/90 gearbox oil?

Sorry, one more. I didn't pay attention to the arrows on the fuel filter indicating direction. I assume that the flow is from higher towards the gauges flowing down to the rear of the bike?

First thing: fuel level sensor: left side , forward position

Second image: fuel regulator, right side of tank.

Sorry, one more. I didn't pay attention to the arrows on the fuel filter indicating direction. I assume that the flow is from higher towards the gauges flowing down to the rear of the bike?

Looking like an "early" fuel tank configuration (external regulator).  Does the tank have a chin-pad and the fuel pump is outside the tank?

if it's an '02 carryover and sold as '03, it may have white face gauges and paint bubbling up on the engine block. my '02's both had an external fuel pump at the front of the bike under the neck of the frame. the fuel filter is inline with and under the spine frame main member between the cylinders. the fuel flow is as you said, front to rear. just remember towards the "carbs" throttle bodies.

I'm sure some changes were made at some point during the '03 model year, to deal with problems regarding fuel pump, gauges, and engine paint.  Later 03's have the upgraded changes. This forum is a good place to help you get the bike sorted. It's been priceless for me.

Thanks guys. Then I must have a 2002 even though tthe registration says 2003. The guages do have a white face and there is bubbling paint on the engine block. The fuel pump is external and under the neck of the frame, the fuel filter sits on top of the spine frame main member. What is a "chin-pad" for the tank? 

Can someone please confirm that the final drive and gearbox both take 80W/90 gear oil? Also, how vital is it to change the front shock oil at 12K miles? I am going to get the valve adjustment done but I am trying to minimize expenses.

the "migration" of the fuel filter is, I believe, a result of a "vapor lock" condition caused by engine heat. the filter moved from under the mainframe to above it, and eventually into the gas tank to keep it cool. I have never had a vapor lock problem, and it get's hot in Indiana. Mind, I avoid city traffic and always try to stay on the move. That's to keep ME from overheating!

I can't say just now what the gear oil weight spec is. I use synthetic Red Line Shockproof heavy in both, and it covers something like 75w250 at temp. Some here like it, some use the 'lite' version. Some don't use it.

the chin pad is the black cushion on top of your tank. at some point in '02 the pad went solid and is painted. I've seen both on '02-'03 but only painted on '04 and up

the transition from white face gauges was because they were kinda junky. so far mine work well. I can't speak to the oem upgrade, but there are threads here for using a lovely aftermarket setup, and many have.

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19038&page=9&hl=%2Bvitus+%2Bdance&do=findComment&comment=220473

the transition from white face gauges was because they were kinda junky. so far mine work well. I can't speak to the oem downgrade,

FTFY 

• Like 1

You will love this bike . RedLine for the gearbox is what everyone is running . I run Motorcraft synthetic 75/90 .  The two tank vents , inspect the fittings to verify they are not stopped up . You can use a vacuum tee to joint these together and route to a safe location to exit the fumesdown between the transmission / swingarm .  

I hope you inspect / repair ALL electrical connectors while the tank is off & I hope you get the tank back on easily . Take plenty of time on this site so you can plan your moves.  I didn't but you should keep a ledger of your work .  And good luck and good riding .

I would not connect the two vents, even though I think several people have done so without any problems. I think one is to drain water away from fuel door, while the other is to allow air back into the tank as fuel is used.

It seems the bikes delivered to European countries came with no hoses on either vent. That's how I'm running mine - just ditched all the hoses.

Ok, so for the fuel lever sensor (put image up again) is the silver tip supposed to be able to move in and out of the black cylinder? Also, what's that red stuff that also got on my hands. It is sticky/gummy. Is that some sort of sealant to prevent gas seeping from where the unit attaches to the tank? If so, any ideas what type of sealant it is so I can reapply before connecting the unit back to the tank??

Forum4.jpg

I would not connect the two vents, even though I think several people have done so without any problems. I think one is to drain water away from fuel door, while the other is to allow air back into the tank as fuel is used.

It seems the bikes delivered to European countries came with no hoses on either vent. That's how I'm running mine - just ditched all the hoses.

No risk of gas flowing down from either nipple to drip down near hot cylinders? I would like to get rid of those tubes. Make for easier going when getting the tank back on.